Kubota history

/ Kubota history #1  

knucklehead

Platinum Member
Tractor
1979 Ford 1700
Hey

Why don't we try to do a history of Kubota?

A couple of you guys mentioned this in several places. I would really like to see this done. How do we start - parts books? Who has info? Corporate records should have some sort of history. Do they understand the value of creating this kind of heritage? Are they in Japan? Are they here in the US? I'm as dumb as they come, but I'm willing to try.

My Dad bought a used 1976 L285 (I think it was a 285 - 30 hp) 2wd with manual steering and a bucket (oof!) back in '86, and it is a tough little tractor. He just sold it last year for what he paid, and bought a brand-dee-new 3010 HST. They've earned a lot of our respect, and I'd really like to see at least a brief technical list of models, specs, etc., maybe augmented with a little company history. There are so many books out there with glossy pics and no info, it would be nice to get some detail. I'm willing to dig a little, call, document, collate, serve coffee (virtual coffee, that is) Could we break it into years? Models? If we all took a little bite, maybe it wouldn't be so hard. Should we start with the L's?

Mark in ME

/ Kubota history #2  
This is off of the Kubota site at www.kubota.com:

In 1969, just eight years after manufacturing its first tractor, Kubota Corporation introduced the company's first tractor to the United States. Filling a void in the American marketplace, the Kubota 21 horsepower L200 was an overnight success.

/ Kubota history #3  
Kubota put out a real nice book a few years ago--Kubota in America---I had a copy but have misplaced it. It had some nice pictures and some of the companies history. I wish I could find my copy or get another. Go to the book stores and all you find are books about funky old row crop tractors. I sure would like a coffee table book with pictures of Kubotas and Kubota people working/mowing/tilling/tractoring. J

/ Kubota history #4  
In Australia Kubota were first imported by Moblico around 1970. Models imported were the KF walk behind rotary tiller -
I still have one my father bought then and it is in perfect condition. The RV70 and RV90 tractors were imported. They were a 7HP 2 wheel drive tractor with tiller using a non standard linkage system. These tractors were superceded by the B6000 which really put Kubota on the map. Manuals issued at that time said Kubota employed 17.000 people.
I would be wary of historical documents supplied by Kubota America as they have been found to modify the truth at times to satisfy their own ends.

/ Kubota history #5  
tractortips.com might have some info.

/ Kubota history #6  
MARK: good topic. can't help much with documented info, but i 1st remember hearing about kubota about 30 years ago, they were this little tractor made in japan, supposed to be strong, but a little high priced, plus they were new, so not many people were buying them(afarid i guess) how things have changed !

/ Kubota history
Neat responses, guys! So according to their own website, they started in 1961 +/-, imported their first product to the US in 1969, and it was an L200. I'd also like to see that Kubota in America book. I think I've seen that book - it's a booklet available at dealers, isn't it? When I go over, I'll see if they have any, and snag several. If it's the one I am thinking of, I sort of passed it up as a pile of Ad's at the time, as I was in the tech spec mode.

Ditto on the "row crop" books - I've been trying to beef up the library and it is real sparse. It comes in bits and pieces - I like those illustrated buyers guides you can get for various cars, trucks, bikes, and tractors. I guess the cost is too high to specialize, and manuals are readily available. Mr. Miller seems to have info - I searched the net, but I guess not as extensively.

/ Kubota history #8  
mark ; u will find the john miller has info on everything with photo to boot/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif he probably has info on me without photos i hope/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif

/ Kubota history #9  
Here is a pic of the cover of a booklet at Kubota dealers, "Americans on Kubotas", this is not the same book I metioned earlier, "Kubota in America". It has some intersting testimonials and neat pics.
I always wonder why unregistered guests jump into the Kubota forum and question the veracity of Kubota with things like--"better be wary of Kubota" and bla, bla. I am pretty sure that they are at least as factual as any other manufacturer, don't answer, it would not be worth the space. J, ever wary

Attachments

• 2-154781-Amonk.jpg
    2-154781-Amonk.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 524
   / Kubota history
That's the document I was thinking of. I was at a dealer's today and got talking about new ones, and implemements, and forgot to snag a copy. I think I'll be going back, though /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif. Regarding the "cautions", I've seen plenty on this board, and heard plenty "around", and absent facts, I file them for future reference. I don't like Chevies (<font color=red>HIT ME</font color=red>, guys), but I have no reason. Someone told me the difference between Chevy and GMC is that they use lock washers behind the nuts on the Jimmies.

I'll ask the dealer the same question re: history.