What does a hoe weigh and can you grapple with a hoe?

/ What does a hoe weigh and can you grapple with a hoe? #1  

Samandothers

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L4240
I have looked in my owners manual for the weight of my Kubota BH90. I have also searched for BH90 weight on the forum and visited the Kubota website. Still no answer. I addition to wondering about the weight I came upon something that makes me ask another question.
There is a statement in the owners manual in the Pre-Operating Instructions in a section titled OPERATION:
"4. It is necessary to have the backhoe detached when using additional valve (ex. grapple) when used downstream of the bachoe valve. Failure to do this may cause the exceeding allowable back pressure to break the seal or case of the achoe valve." What does this mean in layman's terms, can someone dumb it down....
I had the 3rd function WR Long electric valve installed by a Kubota dealer to control my grapple. When I took the tractor to them the backhoe was mounted on the tractor. They installed the valve and never mentioned anything about a possible issue so I assume I can grapple with may hoe attached!?! :eek:

Am I right or wrong to think I can grapple with the hoe attached? Or should I be disconnecting the hoe hydraulics? Help guide me in the right direction.

/ What does a hoe weigh and can you grapple with a hoe? #2  
Is your Hoe Powered from the PTO shaft and does it have a hydraulic tank separate from the tractor transmission? If so, thumb all you want guy, Hoe works on positive displacement pump hooked to the PTO output shaft and the Thumb works off the tractor transmission totally separate from each other. Can't make it any simpler...

/ What does a hoe weigh and can you grapple with a hoe?
The backhoe is controled from the tractor pump via hydraulic connections pump vs a pto driven.

Your post makes me wonder if the grapple the owners manual is referring to is the backhoe thumb as you mention. I was thinking it might have meant a FEL mounted grapple and was wondering why a FEL grapple might affect the backhoe.

/ What does a hoe weigh and can you grapple with a hoe? #4  
The backhoe is controled from the tractor pump via hydraulic connections pump vs a pto driven.

Your post makes me wonder if the grapple the owners manual is referring to is the backhoe thumb as you mention. I was thinking it might have meant a FEL mounted grapple and was wondering why a FEL grapple might affect the backhoe.

Your third function valve is UPSTREAM from your BH so you should be all set...
Seek out kenny D in hydraulics if he doesn't catch this thread...Seems to be a hydraulic guru..

/ What does a hoe weigh and can you grapple with a hoe? #5  
I prefer a hoe that weighs between 100 & 150 lbs, we use a different term than grapple in these parts, but yes you can! :D:D Sorry, must be feeling a little goofy this morning.