Newbie - Greasing my tractor for the 1st time

/ Newbie - Greasing my tractor for the 1st time #1  

DannyInIllinois

I own a new L3940. I was greasing it for the 1st time last night and have a question regarding the front axle support. The manual shows two fittings for the front axle support. The fitting closest to the front of the tracor has a breather plug next to it. The manual says to remove the plug and apply grease to the fitting. I did this and grease came out the breather plug hole, as it should. I then greased the second fitting. This fitting is a bit further toward the rear of the tractor and does not have a breather plug associated with it. When I applied grease to this fitting I never saw any grease exit anywhere. I gave the fitting 20 or 25 pumps with my grease gun and never saw any grease come out around any joint. I stopped greasing it because I was afraid I might damage something. Does anyone know if I should see grease come out somewhere when greasing this fitting? Thanks for any help!

/ Newbie - Greasing my tractor for the 1st time #2  
I noticed the same thing on my L3400. I put in about 15 pumps and called it good.

/ Newbie - Greasing my tractor for the 1st time #3  
Yep, same thing with my L3400.

I'm sure I put 10 to 15 pumps in the first time but the second time I re-read the manual and noted that it said to apply a "small amount" every 50 hours. Since then, I hit it with two pumps and move on.

Kinda wonder where all that grease does go though.

/ Newbie - Greasing my tractor for the 1st time #4  
I have done he same thing on my L4240. Pump grease but it does not appear anywhere. The last time I did this type action I blew out the bearing seals on a horse trailer!:rolleyes:

/ Newbie - Greasing my tractor for the 1st time #5  
I did the same with my l3400, gave it 30-40 (because I haven't greased it this year) pumps still no grease.

/ Newbie - Greasing my tractor for the 1st time #6  
My L3010 is the same way. I've greased it with 8 or 10 pumps every 50 hr and now have over 800 Hrs. Nothing bad has happened. My manual does not say "SMALL AMOUNT" but I'm thinking it should. So I'll cut back to a couple pumps from now on.

/ Newbie - Greasing my tractor for the 1st time #7  
Mine is the same, I call a couple of pumps enough.

Sean

/ Newbie - Greasing my tractor for the 1st time #8  
I had the same dilemma when I greased my L4400 for the first time. I got the parts manual out and looked to see what I could hurt. There is an o ring seal on the front of the pivot that would probably blow out if over greased and possibly the seal for the drive shaft. I attached a PDF for review. I went with the couple of pumps and let it go.

Attachments

• KUBOTA L4400HST Front axle.pdf
    72.1 KB · Views: 346
   / Newbie - Greasing my tractor for the 1st time #9  
Looking at the front drive axle schematic, I would venture to say that any excess grease pumped in the rear fitting ends up inside the front axle in the diff lube.