BX2660 Deluxe Reclining Seat

/ BX2660 Deluxe Reclining Seat #1  

Usta

Gold Member
Tractor
2008 Kubota BX2660
Anyone have any experience modifying or adjusting the engine kill seat safety switch on this model seat? I would like to have the weight switch to be not so sensitive. I have heard of others adding or adjusting the switch bars inside the seat on other models to make them less sensitive. I really would rather not disconnect the safety switch but working on all the slopes on my property, I often am shifting my weight just enough to start to kill the engine.

/ BX2660 Deluxe Reclining Seat #2  
Snickers help. Two a day. The big ones. Desired effect may take up to 6 months.

[/sarchasm]

When I added my Woods assembly to make my 'stock' BX2230 seat rotate to the seated backhoe position, it increased the weight enough to "negate" the seat safety switch. I can now get on and off of my tractor at will without the kill switch kicking in...it is SOOOOOOO nice.

While mine is an "honest" byproduct of an aftermarket accessory, I figure the same effect could be achieved by a zip tie. Or perhaps a well placed rubber bumper.

Having a kill switch like you describe would make me want to bypass the darn thing.

/ BX2660 Deluxe Reclining Seat
Has anyone disassembled the seat cushion? Think there is anyway to bring the switch contacts/plates closer together so it takes much less weight to hold the switch closed?

/ BX2660 Deluxe Reclining Seat #4  
Anyone have any experience modifying or adjusting the engine kill seat safety switch on this model seat? I would like to have the weight switch to be not so sensitive. I have heard of others adding or adjusting the switch bars inside the seat on other models to make them less sensitive. I really would rather not disconnect the safety switch but working on all the slopes on my property, I often am shifting my weight just enough to start to kill the engine.

I have had absolutely no problems as you mention with my tractor. something is definitely wrong or out of adjustment. Since the tractor is under warranty, I would definitely bring this up with your dealer and have them correct it.

/ BX2660 Deluxe Reclining Seat #5  
I had the same problem on a lawn tractor that had a safety switch in the seat. My wife is so small that just bouncing across rough spots in the lawn the motor would be cutting in and out. Sounded like she was running out of gas. I fixed it by shimming the switch plunger with a piece of inner tube material from a bicycle. I can't remember exactly what I did, I think I might have siliconed the strip of rubber onto the seat bottom where the plunger hit it. I would think that the switch on a good tractor like yours would have some kind of adjustment to accomodate the operator's weight.

/ BX2660 Deluxe Reclining Seat #6  
Mine is sensitive too , also looking for suggestions before I disconnect it.

Lean forward to look in the bucket area and it kicks out , quickly sit down !! But I know it is safety , maybe of I wore my seatbelt I would be less likely to get up !

jake

Mine is sensitive too , also looking for suggestions before I disconnect it.

Lean forward to look in the bucket area and it kicks out , quickly sit down !! But I know it is safety , maybe of I wore my seatbelt I would be less likely to get up !

jake

I made a jumper wire but really do not want to bypass the switch. I like the safety but just want to make it work with little weight. Most people on flat ground would seldom have this problem but I have a lot of steep hills and rough terrain which keeps me from being solidly planted in the seat. I plan on taking the seat cushion apart real soon and adjusting the contact strips. I was just first seeing if anyone else has taken the cushion apart. I am extreamly mechanically able but was looking for advise from experience like watch out for that spring that will go flying or something similar like that.

/ BX2660 Deluxe Reclining Seat #8  
This is a common problem. I also mow on hillside on my BX2350 and it does this and is extremely aggravating. One day I will do something about it but I don't want to unhook it, just make it less sensative when going down a fairly steep part of my yard. Doesn't do it on level ground so those of you with level ground will probably never encounter this issue. It's mostly for us downhillers.

BX2660 Deluxe Reclining Seat Kill Switch Adjustment Project.
Well, I pulled the seat apart and was surprised at where the switch was located. Basicly the switch is located beneath the cushion and is located right between my legs where there is the least downward pressure. (manly equipment related comments not required.)
For the photo, I placed a white dot directly where the switch is. If they had put the switch 2-3 inches further back, there would not be a problem.
As you can see in the photo, it is a small push button switch with a 2" diameter cover. What I did was place a 2"x5"x1/4" piece of plexiglass against the bottom of the cushion where the switch goes. I placed a dot of silicon on the cushion to keep the plexiglass in place. This gives wider and more uniform downward pressure on the switch.
End result is Problem Solved. Switch works great with much less pressure.

Attachments

• Seat1.jpg
    Seat1.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 702
  • Seat2.jpg
    Seat2.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 715
  • Seat3.jpg
    Seat3.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 706
   / BX2660 Deluxe Reclining Seat #10  
Great solution. I too have a BX2660, and weighing 195, frequently have the same problem. Mostly it occurs when I'm leaning to the left to see if my slow leaky front tire has enough air to get back to the garage.