Winches Winch install on front of B3200

/ Winch install on front of B3200 #1  

imajeepnut

Silver Member
Is it possible to install a Warn winch on the front of the B3200...? I've searched an found most posts to be about the BX tractors and the rear PTO styles. I have a few winches here to choose from, and was just wondering if the alt. and wiring would handle the amp. draw.

Thanks,
Jeff

/ Winch install on front of B3200 #2  
I assume we are talking about something like ATV winches? Attached are some quick specs I found they have the amp draw listed. Perhaps this will help some later posters better evaluate the question as well. First is two 2500pounders maybe on the light side for the tractor. Then some performace data on a 4000pounder.

2.5ci/CE RT25
All Metal Drivetrain NO YES
Sealed Drivetrain NO YES
Sealed winch motor NO YES
Centered winch drum NO YES
Mechanical Brake YES YES
Gear Ratio 136:1 154:1
Clutch Cam activated Sliding Pin & Ring Gear
Mini Rocker Switch YES YES
Sealed Contactor YES YES
CE Certified YES YES
Amp draw @ 2500lbs 204 Amps 157 Amps

PERFORMANCE DATA Warn XT40
Line Pull
Lbs.(Kgs.) Line SpeedFT./min(M/min.) MotorCurrent
4000 (1814) 4.6 (1.4) 314
3000(1360) 7.9 (2.4) 232
2000 (907) 12.7 (3.9) 157
1000 (454) 18.6 (5.7) 88
0 25 (7.6) 21

Thats quite alot of current, but maybe if the pulls are short duration with a cooldown period. I know they put alot of these on RTV9000 so you may get some better info on the electrical question from those guys, I am not familiar with the size of alt or battery on RTV's perhaps its about the same?

/ Winch install on front of B3200
I'm actually thinking about a Warn short drum 6000lb or 9000lb winch. It's small size would fit nicely up front. I guess I should direct the question to Kubota maybe....if the alt. is high amp enough, it would work. You can run welding cable to cut down on the resistance and amp. loss.

/ Winch install on front of B3200 #4  
Having not seen one up close, I'd guess at best you've got a 40A alternator. If it's the same as my B2400, then all you have is a 14A . The bigger one might survive short pulls from a 2500 and maybe the 4000, but the bigger winches will be awfully hard on your electrical. I've got an M12000 on my 4x4 pickup which has a 105A alternator. The no load draw is 80A and full load is 435A. On a HARD pull it will smoke the alt belt pretty good even with a 1000+ amp rated battery!

/ Winch install on front of B3200 #5  
I'm curious about your appliction here. Are you wanting to pull your tractor out of a bog, or are you trying to pull logs or other heavy objects with your tractor? I'm no expert on winches, but once I wanted a friend to use his winch on his jeep to pull my 1-ton dump truck out of a mud hole. He didn't want to try it because he was afraid it would mess up his transmission. Either he had a valid point, or he was too busy to help me out. It seemed like a valid concern. If you're trying to pull stuff with your tractor, will it mess up the hydrostat or gear transmission?

Pulling yourself out of a tough spot shouldn't put strain on the tractor at all.

Chuck

/ Winch install on front of B3200
I can see several good uses for a front mounted winch. I have them mounted front and rear on my trail Jeeps.....and I use them. Your friend may have his for looks more than for use. Take a good snatch block to double the line pull and your set. I've pulled/assisted trac-hoes, and cement trucks with just an 8000lb.. winch and a snatch block. I have at least a 100 amp alt. or higher on my Jeeps that see winch use. I would want the same on the tractor if such a low RPM alt. was available...and I need to study more about this 3200 before doing anything.

Back to the winch use... I am clearing alot of fallen trees and winching across a creek. I can do it with my Jeep, but it would be nice to use the tractor for everything....winch it across, and manuever it with the forks. Another great use would be to "tie off" for back-hoe work. Since the 3200 is still fairly light, securing the front to a tree would keep me from "walking" the tractor ...say while digging a stump.

I've really come to depend on these winches and appreciate what all they can accomplish. But...I'll have to study the front geometry of the tractor, and decide if I can build a mounting plate that is safe and functional, and whether or not the electrical system will support such.

/ Winch install on front of B3200 #7  
I'm actually thinking about a Warn short drum 6000lb or 9000lb winch. It's small size would fit nicely up front. I guess I should direct the question to Kubota maybe....if the alt. is high amp enough, it would work. You can run welding cable to cut down on the resistance and amp. loss.

Your tractor won't handle the amperage especially with the larger winches. ie the 6000# /9000#.

you can get by with the ATV 4000 # winches by you'll still have to keep a watchful eye...

There is really no need for a larger one, as your tractor doesn't weight that much, so a heavy pull rating would only drag your tractor. And to anchor the tractor with the backhoe would work, but now you are stressing the tractor..

As you already know using a snatch block and a 2:1 system will increase your capactiy...so 4000# should be more than enough..

I was able to drag 26" pines 16' long with my B7510 and a chain to my 3 pt trailer hitch..

Good luck.

/ Winch install on front of B3200 #8  
Someone makes a hydraulic winch, I believe it is Mile-marker. I am thinking around 1500 psi, and I believe that some of them run off the power steering pump.

I have often thought of an electric winch mounted in the bucket with two strong batteries, with wireless remote control.

Here is the hydraulic winch setup on a Power-Trac.

http://www.milemarker.com/winch-10.html

Attachments

• winch2.jpg
    winch2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 2,920
Last edited:
   / Winch install on front of B3200 #9  
Idea, what about a hydraulic winch instead of electrical?

I don't have alot of experience with winches. My thoughts are that the amp draw for your winch is really coming from your battery. It will run you tractor alternator/dynamo at full capacity. I think the big question is can your battery supply the necessary current and for how long.

I think B2400 has showed us a real world example of this. His alternator is only good for 105A, but he is using way more than that for his winch. It is coming from the battery. The larger the alternator the quicker you can recharge your battery or the longer you can sustain hard pulls until you deplete your battery.

Look at Triggers info. The 2500lb. winch that draws around 200A. I know guys have these on their 4 wheelers and a 4 wheeler doesn't have any alternator and I know their generators are barely enough to run a couple of headlights.

Heck you can shut your jeep/truck or tractor off and still use your winch. I have done this before with a small winch when I needed something pulled remotely. I just took a good size motorcycle battery and hooked the winch to it and instant portable winch with no vehicle.

I do have a 2000# winch I keep meaning to make a mount for my tractor and my trailer so I can pull logs out of the woods and drag things up on my trailer I just haven't got around to it yet.:(

Good luck let us know how it goes.:)

/ Winch install on front of B3200 #10  
J.J. You beat me to it. Glad to see we have similar ideas.:)