BX2200 Tachometer

/ BX2200 Tachometer #1  

LarryG

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2200
In June I purchased a BX2200 and am happy with then tractor and performance. In the owners manual, they talk about RPM speed with different attachments. There is no tach on the BX. Does anyone know if there is a way to put one on? The dealer said that they don't have any info on a tach for the BX but I might want to try a auto parts store. They also said to listen to engine sound, if it sounds like it is lugging then I should slow down or raise the attachment depth some. So far this is my only complaint about the tractor, no leaks or any other problems yet. Any Suggestions?

/ BX2200 Tachometer #2  
Larry, I don't know anything about putting a tach on a BX, but the lack of one was one of those things I didn't particularly like with the B7100. One dealer told me he could add a tach for about $200, so I never got one (it was not a Kubota factory option).

Bird

/ BX2200 Tachometer #3  
Larry; That too was one of the first things I looked into with my BX. (You may be able to find some threads on the old discussion group last February/March time frame). Never found a Tach. Now, what I did become comfortable with is the 'sound and feel'. I know, it's tough to swallow, but over time you will get a feeling for when she wants more, or could easily do with less throttle. (As they say in Star Wars, trust in the Force.)

/ BX2200 Tachometer #4  
Isn't the engine in the BX used in anything else? How is the tach driven on the bigger ones? I would think the block castings wouldn't be all that different and would imagine however the drive mechanism attaches would work. Most manufacturers these days try to reduce tooling on different engines. What drives the hour-meter? Maybe a teensy electric clock? My Ford runs off of the same mechanism that runs the tach, as it does not register 1 hour if you are running at less than rated rpm 2500rpm or so.

/ BX2200 Tachometer #5  
Since diesels don't have an electrical ignition system, the tach has to use the actual rotation of something connected to the crankshaft, either directly (like the flywheel) or indirectly (like the camshaft, or fuel pump drive). There is also a vibration sensor than can be used on diesels and is usually mounted magnetically on the block over one of the cylinders.

For engines that are installed in tractors (or other equipment or vehicles) where a tachometer may be standard or optional equipment, flywheels are often predrilled for a magnetic inductor, with a hole in the bellhousing for the sensor that runs the tach. I don't remember what runs the tach on the Kubota's, though, but I can check my shop manual if anyone needs to know.

On units with a tachometer, the tach drives the hour meter.

Mark

/ BX2200 Tachometer #6  
del...
The motor (or is that engine, I can't remember the correct terminology) in the BX2200 is the same as in my B1700, model 905E. Mine has a tach.

/ BX2200 Tachometer #7  
Paul, I believe you're right on the terminology there. My old man corrects me when I make the mistake of calling a fuel powered engine a "motor". In his day, a motor was an electrical powerplant, not a combustion engine.

--Jim

/ BX2200 Tachometer #8  
Thats correct, it is an electric motor and gas/diesel engiine.
An engine is a machine for converting energy into motion or mechanical work. The energy is usually supplied in the form of a chemical fuel, such as oil or gasoline, steam and the mechanical work is most commonly delivered in the form of rotary motion of a shaft.
Engines are frequently mistakenly called motors, even though the term motor is restricted to engines that transform electrical energy into mechanical energy

Bx2200-(Altered,-Crop).jpg

Winnipeg, Manitoba
freebie-maple-leaf.gif

2001 BX2200 All Kubota FEL, Tiller, box blade, blower w/elec shute, 60 mid mt deck, Ag tires.
Grey market B7000 w/Tiller (120 hrs)
1984 JD 316 after 687 hrs.

/ BX2200 Tachometer #9  
You mean I (and all the manufacturers) are using the wrong terminology when we call the air motors in air tools a motor instead of an air engine?/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

Bird

/ BX2200 Tachometer #10  
And all these years the Motor City should have been the Engine City--and MOTOWN should have been ENTOWN.

And motorscooters don't exist