Peer review/help for BX size tractor as multipurpose yard tractor

/ Peer review/help for BX size tractor as multipurpose yard tractor #1  

imajeepnut

Silver Member
Aside from the paperwork and logistics, the B3200 is a done deal. I will use it for pasture duties, fence work, stone work, large garden plowing and such. The more I have been thinking and researching....I think I could benefit more by having a smaller BX model for my grass cutting around the house, yard spraying, mulch moving, and other landscape work. My 3200 will have FEL and BH, but I could use a FEL on this smaller BX as well. The B3200 might be a little too heavy for my yard work around my house....and my scag is limited to only cutting grass. So I've been thinking of selling the scag, and using a BX to accomplish more tasks.

There are so many models from year to year, but I'm trying to keep my cost low to justify the swap. I've been looking at the BX2200 and it seems to be perfect for what I need. Mower deck, 4x4, and the ability to add a FEL. I've also looked at the B1710.

-->For grass cutting, aerating, seed and fertilizer spreading, mulch moving and general "around the house" maintenance.....which BX or older B model would you suggest while keeping my initial cost low?

-->I prefer the HST for this tractor as well.

As always...many thanks for offering your help and suggestions.

Jeff

/ Peer review/help for BX size tractor as multipurpose yard tractor #2  
You already know your answer. You are just looking for affirmation.

I would also like a B series tractor for many reasons. I also know for many more reasons that the BX series really does fit the requirements for my personal needs at my current situation.

The BX series tractor was developed for folks with your situation.

Last edited:
   / Peer review/help for BX size tractor as multipurpose yard tractor #3  
Just swapped in Nov. from Bx2200 to a B3030. The Bx had fel and 60mmm and would do a lot of work. It is a great size machine, I didn't need anything larger but wanted to try the B3030 and it has been great.

/ Peer review/help for BX size tractor as multipurpose yard tractor
Hey Tim,

From what I can tell....that BX2200 will work great. The 1850 is probably enough for what I want to do with it....but the prices are so close, might as well get the 2200.

How do you like your chipper? That's also on my list of "things to buy". I need one now. By the time I pay someone to come chip everything up, I could pay for two it seems. The only other implement I could really use is an affordable trencher....but I don't think they exist!

Jeff

/ Peer review/help for BX size tractor as multipurpose yard tractor #5  
I think I already suggested this once before but here it comes again. Get the first one and use it. The B3200 is a great choice. See what all it will do and then determine what needs are being met to your satisfaction and what needs you still have that could be met by another tractor. I'm not sure 2 B's make much sense unless you have 2 different locations or more money than you can come up with toys to spend it on. I have a B3200 and a BX2350 no FEL myself at the same location. I use the BX for mowing and fertilizeing and the B3200 for FEL, 6' RFM, landscape rake and boxblading. I personally would feel foolish to have 2 tractors with FELs on only 5 acres of residential property. I believe people might start calling me JBrown. Any BX would probably fulfill your needs for the extra machine. If money isn't an issue order a new BX26xx. If money is an issue, find the least expensive good condition used BX of any size (15 to 26).

-->For grass cutting, aerating, seed and fertilizer spreading, mulch moving and general "around the house" maintenance.....which BX or older B model would you suggest while keeping my initial cost low?<--

Seems like we are doing the same things John aside from the 2nd FEL. I'm sure owning 2 small Kubota tractors might seem foolish to some people...with or without a 2nd FEL. Do you feel foolish with 2 tractors? As you said...your 3200 could do every thing your BX is doing or maybe vice/versa. I'm not sure the 2nd FEL up here around the house for light duty would upset me or my neighbors. The 3200 will be in the barn out of sight. The 41 acres behind me will see it more...until I see the need for an M or Grand L for the other poultry farm.

I just need to supplement my back a bit, so if I DO find an older BX with FEL, it would make sense to me. Seems the original BX2200 can't be beat based on other conversations. I just need to find one in the right price range.

What aerator are you using with the BX John....3-pt style plugger or pull behind spike? Would you consider selling your BX now that you have the new 3200?

Oh yeah....who is JBrown anyway! lol

/ Peer review/help for BX size tractor as multipurpose yard tractor #7  
Hey Tim,

From what I can tell....that BX2200 will work great. The 1850 is probably enough for what I want to do with it....but the prices are so close, might as well get the 2200.

How do you like your chipper? That's also on my list of "things to buy". I need one now. By the time I pay someone to come chip everything up, I could pay for two it seems. The only other implement I could really use is an affordable trencher....but I don't think they exist!

Jeff

I think your on the right track the numbers are pretty close. The chipper works great. I use it alot. Worked well on my BX2230 and even better on my BX2660. That application appreciates rear PTO power. So if you are looking to use PTO driven equipment keep that in mind on the initial purchase decision criteria.

/ Peer review/help for BX size tractor as multipurpose yard tractor #8  
-->For grass cutting, aerating, seed and fertilizer spreading, mulch moving and general "around the house" maintenance.....which BX or older B model would you suggest while keeping my initial cost low?

-->I prefer the HST for this tractor as well.

Jeff

You just have described the BX models. I used mine for the same reasons as you plus more. An older B model could work but slightly heavier i believe. If you have alot of acreage, then having two tractors BX and B will benefit esp if they are difference in sizes and weights. You'd be able to have best of both worlds, lightweight easy to use, only 48 inches wide then you have your B tractor with better ground clearance, more PTO HP ,better weight traction . The B can do same what BX can but on larger scale and weight. For mowing with B you would need a RFM to mow with, other wise you can't beat the convenience of having 2 tractors.

/ Peer review/help for BX size tractor as multipurpose yard tractor #9  
...find the least expensive good condition used BX of any size (15 to 26).
I think this is the best thing to do, aside from not getting anything additional. But replacing the SCAG with a BX seems like a very sensible thing to do.

All BX machines come with HST, so don't worry about that. The BX1500 would probably be the least expensive, but you can't get them with a 60" mower deck. For it to best replace the SCAG, I would think a 60" mower to be a must-have. That would put you in 1800/1830/2200/2230 range for the least expensive machine. Any one of those machines would/could have a FEL and do a grand variety of tasks for which your B3200 would be overkill.

I'm looking for the best BX for me, but truly don't want another $10,000 in a small lawn tractor of sorts. I was hoping to find one in the $4000 range, that has been well taken care of. That may be hard to do, but seems like the time is right to buy with so many up for sale.

Does anyone know where I might find a used FEL for the BX2200? That may be a tough item to find used. Probably the best "realized" price would be to find it all together....but I've already found 2 candidates w/o FEL. Seems you can find MMMowers everywhere, but no FEL.