My thoughts on L series jerky 3pt hitch, don't regret purchase

/ My thoughts on L series jerky 3pt hitch, don't regret purchase #1  

Robert6401

Bronze Member
Hey,

I have read a lot of the posts (probably all) about the jerky 3pt hitch on the L2800/L3400, and I wanted to post my thoughts on this issue. Maybe I put a little too much stock in what people on here have to say, but it is frustrating to me to read people that HATE Kubota now because of a single issue.

A little background on me: I set out to purchase a tractor about a year ago knowing virtually nothing about them. I have about 12 acres of land with a 4 acre pasture and a pond that needs to be mowed regularly. I initially set out looking at as many makes and models as I could, but for me cost was a very big factor, and, as simple as it sounds, I have a low clearance garage door which played into the determining factor. I decided to purchase new because used tractors hold their value quite well and I wanted the warranty that goes along with a new tractor.

After the dust had settled, my choices based on cost and reputation were down to a JD 790 (I think they are the 3005 now), JD 3203, and the Kubota L2800/3400.

The JD 3203 was a little more expensive, but I was looking at it as an HST alternative to the 790. My problem with these models was that their FEL's were rated at about 300 lbs less lift capacity than the Kubotas and neither one of them were available with a folding ROPS. Also, test drove them, the cockpit seemed a good bit more cramped and overall they seemed smaller than the Kubotas, and at 6'4", that was important to me.

When comparing the Kubotas, I could basically afford either a 3400 gear, or a 2800 HST. I decided upon the HST because based on where I live I really don't need more horsepower, but the ease of use and my inexperience made the HST very appealing. Also, while it seems to be an "option," I couldn't even find one WITHOUT a folding ROPS.

So, when it came down to it, the Kubota L2800HST offered me greater lift capacity, a roomier cockpit, HST, a quick attach bucket (I want to be able to get forks, grapple, etc), and the folding ROPS so I can park it in the garage - which I think is very important to maintaining the equipment. All of this in a compact tractor that felt much larger than the JD's and NH's that are comparable in price.

So, why am I saying all this? Well, my initial reaction after reading the threads with people complaining about the jerky 3pt hitch was regret for being duped into buying this tractor.

But I thought about it and compared what I got to what the competitors offer and realized I am still much better off for what I could afford. Sure, it isn't ideal, but the 790 owners can have their buttery smooth 3pt hitch, I'll keep my 300 extra lbs of FEL capacity, HST, folding ROPS, and everything else that I love about this tractor. It is a little beast when it comes to working my property and it continues to impress me.

All of that being said, if you can afford a more expensive tractor, than buy one. But for those of us who need to stay in the "Economy" range, take a good look at the differences and I think you will find that Kubota still has more to offer.

/ My thoughts on L series jerky 3pt hitch, don't regret purchase #2  
I totally agree. I knew the 3400 was the perfect tractor for me. I read all the negative posts, but I bought it anyway. No regrets here. :D:D:D

/ My thoughts on L series jerky 3pt hitch, don't regret purchase #3  
Hey,

I have read a lot of the posts (probably all) about the jerky 3pt hitch on the L2800/L3400, and I wanted to post my thoughts on this issue. Maybe I put a little too much stock in what people on here have to say, but it is frustrating to me to read people that HATE Kubota now because of a single issue.

A little background on me: I set out to purchase a tractor about a year ago knowing virtually nothing about them. I have about 12 acres of land with a 4 acre pasture and a pond that needs to be mowed regularly. I initially set out looking at as many makes and models as I could, but for me cost was a very big factor, and, as simple as it sounds, I have a low clearance garage door which played into the determining factor. I decided to purchase new because used tractors hold their value quite well and I wanted the warranty that goes along with a new tractor.

After the dust had settled, my choices based on cost and reputation were down to a JD 790 (I think they are the 3005 now), JD 3203, and the Kubota L2800/3400.

The JD 3203 was a little more expensive, but I was looking at it as an HST alternative to the 790. My problem with these models was that their FEL's were rated at about 300 lbs less lift capacity than the Kubotas and neither one of them were available with a folding ROPS. Also, test drove them, the cockpit seemed a good bit more cramped and overall they seemed smaller than the Kubotas, and at 6'4", that was important to me.

When comparing the Kubotas, I could basically afford either a 3400 gear, or a 2800 HST. I decided upon the HST because based on where I live I really don't need more horsepower, but the ease of use and my inexperience made the HST very appealing. Also, while it seems to be an "option," I couldn't even find one WITHOUT a folding ROPS.

So, when it came down to it, the Kubota L2800HST offered me greater lift capacity, a roomier cockpit, HST, a quick attach bucket (I want to be able to get forks, grapple, etc), and the folding ROPS so I can park it in the garage - which I think is very important to maintaining the equipment. All of this in a compact tractor that felt much larger than the JD's and NH's that are comparable in price.

So, why am I saying all this? Well, my initial reaction after reading the threads with people complaining about the jerky 3pt hitch was regret for being duped into buying this tractor.

But I thought about it and compared what I got to what the competitors offer and realized I am still much better off for what I could afford. Sure, it isn't ideal, but the 790 owners can have their buttery smooth 3pt hitch, I'll keep my 300 extra lbs of FEL capacity, HST, folding ROPS, and everything else that I love about this tractor. It is a little beast when it comes to working my property and it continues to impress me.

All of that being said, if you can afford a more expensive tractor, than buy one. But for those of us who need to stay in the "Economy" range, take a good look at the differences and I think you will find that Kubota still has more to offer.

I don't think they were voicing a regert for being duped into buying the tractor as much as they were voicing a regert that Kubota could have installed a system that eliminated the "Jerky" lift just as John Deere, New Holland and others did but elected not to do so to increase profit. What Kubota did reminds me somewhat of the automobile industry. "This is what you get", "Don't want it, another buyer is waiting, come back when you are ready to buy".

/ My thoughts on L series jerky 3pt hitch, don't regret purchase #4  
I didn't even notice that my 3400 has a jerky 3ph until reading on TBN and then trying it. Would I rather it was smooth..yes but I can deal with it. Had I known when I was buying I might have looked at other options but it was in my range of requirements so now I have it and am still happy with it.

/ My thoughts on L series jerky 3pt hitch, don't regret purchase
Gator, you are missing my point. You could say the same thing about the other manufacturers. They "could have installed a system" that allowed them greater FEL lift capacity, or HST, or just a folding ROPS for pete's sake! What I'm saying is that for the money, obviously, something had to be sacrificed on all of the models. You don't think JD limits what the 3005 does in order to get people to buy a 3320?

/ My thoughts on L series jerky 3pt hitch, don't regret purchase #6  
Well if you gotta choose just between jd and kubota,than yeah,guess you got to get one or the other!:rolleyes:

/ My thoughts on L series jerky 3pt hitch, don't regret purchase #7  
Very well said Robert6401! The fact is that it is impossible to build the perfect tractor....especially if you want it to be affordable. Obviously there are a lot of folks out there that feel all these options are free for the manufacturer. There are also lots of folks who would rather complain than be thankful. There are lots of folks who would love to have a problem with a somewhat jerky 3 pt hitch just like the Joe Diffie song "I'd like to have a problem like that". If you aren't familiar with the song, check it out! I love the fact that they are all different. It would really suck if they were all the same cause then there would only be the choice of which color you wanted your tractor in. Just my opinions, others will certainly differ :p

Troy

/ My thoughts on L series jerky 3pt hitch, don't regret purchase #8  
I had posted this before, however its a point that should be made again. Beyond TBN, this problem is virtually unknown. On a dealership level I've never heard it mentioned, and internaly its not looked at as a chronic problem. There clearly is some substance to the complaints, but the momentium behind it online was probably more a case of 'group think' than people who actually had problems with it. Case in point why its a bad idea to use the internet as your sole resource.

/ My thoughts on L series jerky 3pt hitch, don't regret purchase #9  
I have a BX2350 that has the "abrut reverse problem". It's a similar thing, it gets worse on the internet. I actually noticed it when I test drove it on the dealers lot, and it didn't stop me from buying it. On a scale of 1 to 10, its about a 1 as far as annoying problems go.

/ My thoughts on L series jerky 3pt hitch, don't regret purchase #10  
Hey, my tractor is great, now. I've done my share of complaining but I've also given my L3400 it deserved share of praise.

I'm not sure it's fair to take a position against the complaints by anyone who got their L2800/L3400 with the better valve though. Those of you speaking out should note where your speaking from. I'm nearly tickled pink with my upgraded valve. It would be nice to have buttery smooth and I took a pretty hard look into a simple way to get it but no doubt, if my tractor came with the good valve, no one would have ever heard a negative word from me.

LOTS of L2800/L3400's were sold with the valve I had to upgrade to, many before I even bought mine but I got my ear filled with the BS line about "economy." It was all "standard" when I was buying.

Fact is, the hitch that was sold with my tractor was below any "standard", below "economy." They could only make a hitch that bad on purpose. The upgraded hitch is a fine complement to a great tractor.