New W.R. Long grapple/3rd function electric valve on my B2320

/ New W.R. Long grapple/3rd function electric valve on my B2320 #1  

tutorbell

Bronze Member
Tractor
2008 Kubota B2320 - Bar/Turf Tires
This weekend I installed a W.R. Long 3rd function valve and OBG2-48 grapple on my B2320 with LA304 loader. The grapple was made to fit the pin spacing of the LA304 loader arms. Weight is supposed to be 357 pounds and it feels like every bit of it. Third function valve came with a custom bracket that mounts it behind the seat on the right inner fender. I picked up all of the parts and installed it myself.

I purchased the bulkhead plate with quick connects also. There isn't a custom one for this tractor so it just came with a generic 1/4" plate that is supposed to be welded to the torque tube. Room is kinda tight there so I ended up welding it to the reinforcing plate on the inside of the right side loader arm. Everything worked just fine with the one exception being the adapter for the power beyond port on the loader valve was not the right size. Salesman sent me to a local hydraulic shop to pick up the right fitting and have it billed to him.

How does it work? Great! I'm not going to be picking up any huge logs or boulders but I can bite down on enough brush that I can't see where I am going and I have to drive backwards instead. I was very concerned about the lift capacity of the LA304 not working well with it. As it turns out, my salesman at the dealership said they will happily put an LA364 on a B2320 or an LA304 on the B26/2920. Brackets, etc. are the same and it's just Kubota's marketing department writing the specifications so they can upsell the B26/2920 for the greater lift capacity loader. :rolleyes:

I wish I would have known this when I got the tractor--I would have got the LA364 instead! :(

No pictures yet (too much fun using it :D) but I'll put some up this evening. Regardless of what some may say a grapple really does work well on a tractor this small. I was pretty certain I would have to up the relief valve pressure 10% or so to get acceptable performance. After using it for a weekend, I realize there is no need to.

/ New W.R. Long grapple/3rd function electric valve on my B2320 #2  
I'm thinking of the RBG2 48" myself on my L3400. I just can't decide between the RBG2 or the OBG2 style. Any reason you chose the OBG2?

Thank you

/ New W.R. Long grapple/3rd function electric valve on my B2320 #3  
I was curious if you could give us a break down of what this cost you in all?

/ New W.R. Long grapple/3rd function electric valve on my B2320
I'm thinking of the RBG2 48" myself on my L3400. I just can't decide between the RBG2 or the OBG2 style. Any reason you chose the OBG2?

Cost is the primary reason I chose the OBG2-48. I didn't price the RBG2-48 but the RBG2-38 was more than $1,800. I originally looked at the RBG2 because it was lighter.

I was curious if you could give us a break down of what this cost you in all?

Sure, the following prices are including freight to Fort Worth, TX:

W.R. Long OBG2-48 Grapple................$1,415

W.R. Long 3rd Function Valve
(including bulkhead plate and fittings)....$690

Pictures will be coming tomorrow - I ran out of light tonight.

Pictures as promised. Please don't make fun of my welds, it's just a bracket.

Attachments

• DSC_2091.jpg
    DSC_2091.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 1,577
  • DSC_2092.jpg
    DSC_2092.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,050
  • DSC_2093.jpg
    DSC_2093.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,025
  • DSC_2095.jpg
    DSC_2095.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,030
  • DSC_2101.jpg
    DSC_2101.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 931
  • DSC_2100.jpg
    DSC_2100.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 894
   / New W.R. Long grapple/3rd function electric valve on my B2320 #6  
Wow, that looks great! I'm calling about mine tomorrow. Nice clean install you have. Thank you for sharing!

Wow, that looks great! I'm calling about mine tomorrow. Nice clean install you have. Thank you for sharing!

Thanks! Here are some in-use pictures:

Attachments

• DSC_2104.jpg
    DSC_2104.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 1,314
  • DSC_2105.jpg
    DSC_2105.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 823
   / New W.R. Long grapple/3rd function electric valve on my B2320 #8  
It's amazing to me that the WR Long grapple is so much more expensive than the Markham grapple for basically the same thing.

It's amazing to me that the WR Long grapple is so much more expensive than the Markham grapple for basically the same thing.

Markham makes a fine grapple for those that have a OEM skid-steer universal adapter or can get one third-party for their loader. I was more than happy to fork over an extra $500 for a turn-key solution. It's unfortunate that Markham doesn't offer custom mounts to fit different models of loaders. They seem to make the majority of their money in the skid-steer attachment business and seem to be happy supporting that market.

If you notice, the W.R. Long grapple has cylinder protection comparable to Markham's HD Grapple Rake. Markham's LD version doesn't have the same level of cylinder protection as Long's.

Didn't notice this at first, but the WR Long grapple has seven bottom tines while the Markham has five. Have seen that others have had Markham customize by adding more tines to the bottom. Don't know how much that increases the price, but I'm willing to bet that it narrows the gap between the two.

Attachments

• DSC_2091.jpg
    DSC_2091.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 2,009
  • markham.jpg
    markham.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 843