Starter Solenoid

/ Starter Solenoid #1  

Gomez

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2400
I think the contacts on the starter solenoid of my B2400 need cleaning. Quite often, I need to turn the key several (3-5) times before the starter will pull in. I noticed there are two Phillips head screws on the solenoid. Before I start tearing the solenoid apart, I figured I'd throw this out to the board to see if anyone else has done this.

Thanks for any info.

/ Starter Solenoid #2  
I would suspect the ignition switch first as it is more prone to get wet and corrode. It shouldn't be hard to clean the terminals and a little tiny bit of WD40 down the key shaft might fix you up.

mark

/ Starter Solenoid #3  
Gomez, There are two common problems that will cause this, the first one you are aware of, and the solenoid is replaceable.
However before you do that, do a quick test with a voltmeter. Connect up to the starter solenoid lead and check what your voltage reading is when you engage the starter. If it's in the neigborhood of 9 volts or lower, no matter what you do to the starter you will continue to have this problem. The cause is a voltage drop from the key power through the various safety switches to the final destination, the starter solenoid. Over time, resistence tends to build up in the circuit and once the voltage drops to this value, you have a few choices. Go through the whole circuit and replace the safety switches, clean every connection, replace the starter switch and then maybe it'll work again for you, for a while. Or you can get a low voltage solenoid that you can wire in that will allow the low voltage you are receiving to actuate the solenoid and allow a full 12 volts to be applied to the starter solenoid. Now you can buy a solenoid from NAPA but I can't help you with a number for it. However if you have a JD or SCAG dealer nearby they have a kit available for this very problem that comes with a prewired harness, solenoid and instructions. I use these on the Kubotas (among other tractors) all the time.
The only problem is if you want the part number this weekend I can't help you. But if you can wait till monday I'll hook you up. I geuss there's a possibility that if you have either one of these dealers nearby they may know what I'm talking about.

/ Starter Solenoid
So it's been almost a year since I posted this question, and I still have
not found the problem. Been "putting up" with it since then. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
I checked the voltage to the starter while trying to start, and it's
over 9 volts. I've taken off the starter and there are no contacts
to be cleaned. Can I replace only the solenoid or does the whole
starter assembly need to be replaced?

/ Starter Solenoid #5  
Gomez,
Can you provide more detail? When you turn the key and it doesn't start, do you get any response at all?? Do the idiot lights on the dash dim, or do you hear the click of the solenoid, but no sound from the starter? If you turn on the headlights before trying to start the tractor do they dim at all when you try to start? Does having the lights on when trying to start make it worse?
You also mentioned having over 9 volts at the solenoid coil connection. Did you get that voltage reading when you tried and it wouldn't start or when it would?
I'm just trying to determine if it is a problem in the solenoid circuit or the starter itself.
DaveL

/ Starter Solenoid
I hear a faint clicking when the key is turned to start. I don't notice
the idiot lights dimming. Headlights on/off makes no difference. I
see the over 9 volt reading at the starter when is does not turn over.

To me, it sound like a flaky connection in the starter or solenoid.

/ Starter Solenoid #7  
Ok. No drop in lights means you aren't making connection. A shorted or bound up starter would have dragged your lights down.
It sounds like the solenoid is working mechanically (the faint click) but it may not be sending power to the starter. The solenoid is not outputting power to the starter OR the starter is gone. I doubt it is the starter as you say this is an intermittent problem. Can you try to start the tractor with your voltmeter connected to the solenoid to starter connection? If you have no voltage when you have a failure to start, it indicates a bad solenoid or connections. If you do have power during a failed start attempt, the starter has a brush or armature problem, a bad internal connection, or a bad connection between the solenoid and starter.
Honestly, it sounds like a possible bad solenoid and/ or a bad connection at the battery to solenoid or solenoid to starter.
Hope this helps.
DaveL