How do you attack it?

/ How do you attack it? #1  

Beaux Duke

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L48
I'm looking for pointers on how to take the first bite out of the lot as I begin the clearing process. My site is open land behind me (East) and the front (West) is a wall of scrub brushes, small gums and maples with a smattering of oak thrown in.

What's the best technique to get started? Go in with the grapple high and smash as much as you can to the ground first. Or go in low digging things up by the roots?

I've got to clear a 100 foot path before I get to any seriously large trees. Since this will be a learn as you go project I intend to go slow and not break any thing. So I'm looking for some guidance before I become a graduate of the school of hard knocks.

All the videos I've seen on YouTube just seem to be of people trying to tear up their rig. This tractor has to last me a long time so if I can get good, valid suggestions before I get started then I can limit the effects of the law of Murphy.

Thanks!

/ How do you attack it? #2  
I am clearing a much smaller area...

And the thing I saw as my best option is to push up the roots...
I need to get some pics-- I'll get them tomorrow or Tuesday..

Part of the area was a mound.. so I started on the low side of the mound and worked in a circle after getting behind it..

just a thought.....

YMMV.

J

/ How do you attack it? #3  
There are several ways to do it with a TLB. Use the hoe or use the bucket. Push over the trees by pushing them over fairly high. Then grapple the root balls after you cut up the trees assuming you want the wood. Otherwise stack and burn.

What is "seriously large" and what is in the path before you get to them that you will be clearing?

/ How do you attack it? #4  
one thing to watch out for is dead limbs in the trees for one may come down and hurt you or your tractor.
i had a good friend that got killed when limb came down from tree he was droping and it hit him on the head.

/ How do you attack it?
What is "seriously large" and what is in the path before you get to them that you will be clearing?

Seriously large (to me) is 10" and larger in diameter. I plan to leave as many as I can but those in the direct path of the road have to go.

In front of the trees is all sorts of what I term undergrowth. Mostly small trees, bushes (I don't know their name) briars, vines,... just about everything that grows in dirt. It's so thick you can't walk through it without hacking a path.

As for pushing over trees, do you push high to get better leverage or is there another reason.

Thanks guys.

/ How do you attack it? #6  
Make sure you heed the warning about the danger of falling wood from above. It can be fatal!

/ How do you attack it?
I've got a ROPS/FOPS but I'm not planning on taking any chances. I want to be around to enjoy the results of my work.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try to keep it in mind whenever I'm on the tractor.

/ How do you attack it? #8  
For the little stuff, take your end loader bucket and just barley scrape the ground, it will tear just about everything out. For the little bit bigger stuff, say 1 inch trees or smaller, I have the bucket dumped part way, dig it in the ground at the base of the tree, then drive forward and curl the bucket at the same time. That should pop them out of the ground.

The bigger stuff, I would chain saw what you can safely, then it will be easy to push the trees around when they are on the ground. Cut them off with a few feet left sticking up so you have some leverage to pop the stump out of the ground. It can be hard to dig out even a fairly small tree stump out of the ground, even as small as a 6" tree. You have an L so you should have some pretty good grunt.

/ How do you attack it? #9  
Bumping a tree can cause dead limbs to fall, and if you run into it on purpose, it is even worse, especially a dead tree.
If i were going to attack a piece of property that was seriously overground, I would run a bush hog over it, high enough off the ground to just let you see the ground when your done. Make some paths where it isn't too bad, and then go at it with the loader, pushing the heavier stuff into piles, then use the hoe to remove any unwanted trees and stumps.
Everybody does it differently, but the outcome is usually the same, lots of seat time, and a nice lot to look at when your done.
David from jax