Tractor
Kubota B2910
Looking at buying a 4690 for a 2710. My local dealer tells
me that Kubota is doing away with pump kits on all of their
3ph mounted BH's to get the price down. Can't find any GPM
specs for the 4690.

Can anyone with a 4690 comment on whether they think it
would be OK without the pump kit? If I order one now with
the tractor I can still get it with the pump kit.

thanks,
timd

/ 4690 BH pump kit #2  
Do you know offhand the implement pump specs for your 2710? I use a Bradco 609 on my L4310HST with an 8 or so gpm pump, though Bradco recommends a minimum of 10-12 gpm. It works extremely well and the Bradco 609 has much bigger cylinders than the 4690, and therefore higher gpm requirements.

Plus, you could always buy a Prince or other manufacturer PTO pump separately later on. They make an industrial version all cast iron model for heavy use if you'd be worried about the cast iron center with aluminum ends not being durable enough.

/ 4690 BH pump kit #3  
The 4690 backhoe is only listed with a pump in the price book. The 2910's hydralic pump and the unit included with there hoe is equal. Why would you chance the possibility of tractor oil contamination when you don't have to! Yes you have to buy the pump but otherwise you have to buy the valve, with the use of the tractors hydralics you might have a loss of hydralic power do to the plumbing but chances are you would not know it unless you have two machines next to each other working.

/ 4690 BH pump kit #4  
Does your bradco sit farther off the machine than the 4690 would? I have a cab on my 3750 and looking for a possibe hoe attachment. How does that Hookup as far as mounting? thanks Gordon

/ 4690 BH pump kit #5  
Gordon, I'm not sure, but I don't think so. It would be easy to build a spacer for the Bradco, though, because the subframe mounts are kits made for your particular tractor that just bolt on. I had to make some spacers when I put larger tires on the back.

/ 4690 BH pump kit #6  
Would someone educate me about this backhoe power thing. I gather that there are 2 options for obtaining hydraulic power for a hoe - a pto mounted pump, or the rear hookup (is this the "power beyond valve"?) Is this true? Is this why Kubota lists 2 different models to fit my 1700, or does any hoe give you the option of using either power hookup??

/ 4690 BH pump kit #7  
I don't know what the "official" Kubota method of doing it is, but I do know what your options are:

One way is to take the hydraulic pressure from the power beyond on the loader valve and run it to a quick-disconnect at the back. Then you need another line coming back to tank, which can tee into another tank line. This has the disadvantage of reducing your flow to the backhoe to less than the full output of the pump, if there's any reduction of plumbing size in the loader valve (and there usually is).

A second way is to run a hose from the pump to a quick-disconnect at the back, then back to the front and into the hose originally going from the front to the distribution block. This has the advantage of sending full pump output to the backhoe, but has the disadvantage of requiring you to connect the two hoses together when you don't have the backhoe attached and all the tractor's implement hydraulic flow is contantly going to the back of the tractor before it gets to the loader. This isn't a problem if you use big hose, but you have to be careful where you route it: You don't want to risk damaging it, and you don't want it where a leak could spray you with hot oil. It also has the disadvantage of requiring that you cut the tractor off to connect and disconnect the hydraulic hoses to and from the backhoe.

A third way, my preference, is a little complicated to explain, but works extremely well. You put two tees separated by a manual needle valve (in my case, 15 gpm) into the pressure line coming out of the pump. I used tees and a needle valve bigger than the line coming from the pump to reduce flow restriction. The tee closest to the pump has the pressure line going to the backhoe coming out of it and the tee farthest from the pump has the return line coming back on it. Both lines terminate in quick-disconnects at the back of the tractor. When the needle valve is open, the hydraulic flow goes straight through both tees and the needle valve as though they weren't even there, so the circuit is identical to what it was before you installed them. When the needle valve is closed, flow is diverted through the hose on the leg of the first tee, to the back, through the quick disconnect, through the backhoe hydraulics, back in the return hose through its quick-disconnect, back into the second tee via the hose on it's leg, and on through the rest of the tractor's standard hydraulic circuit. To use it, you just back up to the backhoe, connect it to the tractor's hydraulics via the quick-disconnects, and close the needle valve. Now the backhoe's hydraulics are "hot" and can be used to help you mount it. When you're done, just unmount the backhoe, open the needle valve, disconnect the two hydraulic hoses going to the backhoe, and drive off. No muss, no fuss.

And, lastly, of course, there's the self-contained backhoe hydraulic system with its own reservoir and a PTO pump.

Does that help? (Sorry I couldn't do it in three words or less.)

Mark

/ 4690 BH pump kit #8  
Yes it helps...think I'll just hire out any backhoe work! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ 4690 BH pump kit #10  
Tim,
I have a 2710 with at 4690 hoe with a pump. IMHO I would stay with the pump primarily to keep the tractor hydraulics separate from the hoe. The 2710 pump is used for HST and power steering and for the loader. While the 2710 has a block hydraulic output under the seat, the contamination of the fluid is a major concern. The hoe would still need a resovoir for the excess fluid for the hoe.

The 4690 connection to the tractor with the pump is pretty straight forward and I don't think that a hydraulic link would be quicker. The clearances for your hands when attaching the pump is tight and takes some practice.

Hope this helps, /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Pete

B2710/LA401/4690