First 50 Hour Service BX 2200

/ First 50 Hour Service BX 2200 #1  

NY_Yankees_Fan

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX 2200
Did the 50 hour service on the BX2200 yesterday, here are the things I learned…..

1. To remove the engine oil filter you will need a filter wrench, the type that fits on the end of the filter with a hole in the center for a wrench. After trying to fit on a standard handle type wrench for 20 minutes, I gave up, when to the auto parts store and spend the $5.00 for the correct tool, you know what they say about having the correct tool for the job! A black wire bundle is right in the center of the filter, very little room to work. You would think the Kubota engineers could have thought that one a little better!
2. If you drop the front bracket for the 60" mmm and remove it , and turn the front wheels to the right, you can get the pan under drain plug to remove the oil.
3. I put in 3 quarts of Kubota 15-40W oil, book says it will take 2.6 quarts, not sure if this with changing the filter. Question, even with 3 quarts I am only about half way to the upper mark, did you fill yours to the top mark?, or is the middle OK???
4. Removing the transmission filter was not a problem, did not have to remove anything. The same wrench I used for the oil filter fit the transmission filter.
5. Removed the transmission screen it had some fine metal pieces, cleaned it out, and reinstalled.
6. I also removed the oil in the front axle, glad I did, as the oil was much darker towards the end. Remember to remove ALL of the breather plugs on the top of the wheels, I forgot to remove the plug on the right wheel, when I did, the liquid level dropped about an inch. I had trouble seeing how much oil was on the stick. So I used a piece of paper and laid the stick on it, now I could see where the liquid level was, worked great.
7. To fill the transmission, I took a funnel and put a 3 foot section of clear hose on it. Was just enough to reach the hole and stand up while pouring.
8. I think next time I will put some plastic on the garage floor to keep the oil from getting on it. No matter how careful you are, some will get on the concrete, well as careful as I was this is!

I bought a 5 gallon pail of Kubota Super UDT oil, glad I did, I would say I have less then a gallon in the can. I think with this much fun yesterday I will change the oil and filter every 50 hours instead of 100 hours! I hope this helps other back yard mechanics. Total time was about 3 hours, start to clean up. I hope when I go out to the shed in a few hours we have no leaks on the floor!

Tom

/ First 50 Hour Service BX 2200 #2  
Tom, when I did my B7500 yesterday I discovered some really tight filters too. Those fellas at the factory must be using a cheater bar to install them. I have a couple pairs of Channellock "Big Azz" (real name on package) groove joint pliers that I bought a few years ago for tightening big thinwall conduit compression fittings. They made short work of it..................chim

/ First 50 Hour Service BX 2200 #3  
You can get to the engine filter with a swivel handle wrench. I sometimes have to go from the inside of the frame, but it is accessible. On the UDT fill, if you remove the fill cap, then tilt up the seat, you can gain access to the trannycase from the breather vent. Pull out the breather vent and install a small funnel in there. It is a slow process, but far less messy. Don't forget to do those two fuel filters too.

/ First 50 Hour Service BX 2200
Book says 500 hours on fuel filters change, did you do them at 50 hours? If so, what about getting air in the fuel line, I hear that is something you do not want to do.

Any comments on how much oil to fill with a filter change, and to fill it to the top line?

By the way, no oil on the floor, YEA!

Tom

/ First 50 Hour Service BX 2200 #5  
I changed the fuel filters at the 300 hour service. I know the book says 500 hours, but I got nervous. My BX holds2 quarts, 24 ounces of engine oil (discovered after some trial and error. I also have less than a gallon of Super UDT left over from the 300 hour service.

/ First 50 Hour Service BX 2200 #6  
I do all filters on the 50 hour service. And the engine crankcase does hold nearly 3 quarts. Take it to the top line. I think with the 70000 oil filter, it requires more than the spec book says. As far as bleeding the air out of the system, it is simple on the BX series because of the electric pump. After replacing the filters, follow the lines to the injection pump. There is an orifice bolt where the line goes in. Just break that bolt loose, and turn the key to the first position, and the electric pump will push the air out of the system. While it is still pumping, snug down the orifice bolt. Then fire it up, and let it run for a couple minutes, and it will smooth right out. I don't know if you are accessible to "red" fuel in your area, but if you are, it make s ahuge difference in the performance of the unit also. It has a higher cetane rating, and will improve the horsepower of the engine. If you don't have "red" in your area, then I would suggest getting the Kubota Fuel conditioner. It will boost the cetane rating of the "onroad white" fuel. Great little machines guys, take good care of them, and you'll be sure to get many useful years out of them.

/ First 50 Hour Service BX 2200 #7  
I reached 50 hrs this weekend and will be doing the service one evening this week. What's the consensus on the fuel filter change at an earlier interval - I know the manual says 500 hours? I'll be heading to the dealer this afternoon to pick up the oils and filters and from what I've read it will run somewhere between $75-100 for the parts for the 50 hr service - correct?

/ First 50 Hour Service BX 2200 #8  
It's your choice on the filters. I do them on the 50 hour. It may not be necessary, but just like break in's on tranny's and engines, I'm sure there is material within the tank when they are made, assembled so on. With two being on there though, probably not a huge concern. I just find it reassuring to me that they are fresh. Can't really tell ya on the cost of parts though. I know the Super UDT is not cheap.

/ First 50 Hour Service BX 2200 #9  
sss,

When I picked up my filters and Super UDT it was cheaper to buy two 2.5gal jugs than the 5 gal pail. I even asked the parts desk fella about it and he said that's the way it works out. He mentioned I'd only need a 2.5gal and 1gal for the BX but I figured I'd use the extra for the front axle and to top off. The jugs are also easier to store and pour but more of a pain to recycle.

Enjoy,
Michael

/ First 50 Hour Service BX 2200
This what it cost me for parts:

5 gallon container of the Kubota Super UDT oil: $60.60
Engine filter $10.06
Transmission Filter $15.07
Kubota 15-40W oil per quart $2.31
Grease for the FEL: $2.48
White grease in a spray can: $3.50

I will need to buy another quart of oil, it took 3 quarts and I am still not to the top mark. My dealer did not have 2.5 gallon continers of Kubota Super UDT oil, only 1 gallon, the 5 gallon bucket was cheaper.

Tom