Tractor
    Kubota BX 24

Default Some people grow veggies, I grow ROCKS

Well I finally got started on a job I had been meaning to do for about 3 years. That job Pulling as many rocks out of my field as my BX could do. In about 3 hours I pulled about 120 medium to large size rocks out of a 150 x 75 foot section of my field. Only hit 2 that I have not been able to pull out with the backhoe. one that is loose in the hole but the hoe cant pick it up just rolls it around. But I did hit plenty of rocks that the FEL couldn't pick up had to push them to the rock pile. Even as an owner I sometimes under estimate what a BX24 can do. I figure that if I cant move it (it being stump, rock ect ect) I can just leave it there till I have enough to rent a bigger machine.

Some pics:
    Picasa Web Albums - Matt - Tractor

Picasa Web Albums - Matt - Tractor
    Matt

BX 24
    LA240 FEL, BT601 Backhoe, 54'' MMM, Patu DC 40 Chipper, 5ft LandScape Rake, FEL Snow Plow, ATI FEL Quick Attach, TracVac with QA mower boot, WorkSaver Post Hole Digger, 50$ 4ft Grader Blade

Gold Member
    Tractor
    B2920

Default Re: Some people grow veggies, I grow ROCKS

WOW!Those are some BIG rocks..

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

HUH! You sure are growing rocks! What I don't understand is why are you digging them up if you have no use for them ? What I would do is use the bota and dig 6 foot hole right next to the rocks and push em in. This would solve the biggest rocks movement problem and gets them out of your way. Since the BX24 can dig 4 ft easy in the ground, it can go 6 ft when needed.

If you have no plans for those rocks and want to show off your hard work then make a japanese style garden with them.

Tractor
    Kubota B3030HSDC

You know what they say............ the most bountiful crop in New England, ROCKS !

I'll let you in on a secret I learned back (waaaaaaay back) when I was a teenager digging pools for a pool company. Dig a big hole next to the rocks that are too big to move. Leave a bit of a downhill path into the hole, then push or pull the rock into the hole and bury it.

Another alternative would be to drill holes into the big rocks with a masonry drill. Pickup some Dexpan Non Explosive Blasting, Controlled Blasting No Explosive, Non Explosive Demolition and use it to make smaller rocks........ which you can then move.

Good luck !

Tractor
    Kubota BX 24

Plans are for the rocks is A) to move them so I can grade out the field in that area for a riding arena / 2nd paddock for my wife's horses. B) going to use the rocks to build a retaining wall of sorts and border my driveway.

I have tried to dig bigger holes and rolled a few big rocks in there usually that gets me more smaller rocks to deal with and is usually a pain since the huge crop of rocks.

Ductape : Ive done the hammer drill routine more then once to drill and then crack with a sledge, I will have to check out that demolition stuff
    Matt

BX 24
    LA240 FEL, BT601 Backhoe, 54'' MMM, Patu DC 40 Chipper, 5ft LandScape Rake, FEL Snow Plow, ATI FEL Quick Attach, TracVac with QA mower boot, WorkSaver Post Hole Digger, 50$ 4ft Grader Blade

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L2800

You might want to check and see if there is a market for the rocks.. in the past few years the trend if for huge rocks to be used by landscapers... People go nuts over huge rocks ....
    The Dougster in the Great Republic of Texas

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B2620

I too grow plenty of rocks here on my spread. I love them though and use them throught the landscape, walls, landscape borders, etc... See some of my collection below, this is about 1/3 of what I have dug out so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -dsci0336-jpg  
    Kubota 2620, Loaded R4's, FEL, 4' Bush Hog box blade, 5' Bush Hog landscape rake. Toro Timecutter Z 5060 ZTR 50"deck

Tractor
    Kubota M 6800; Kubota B 2710; Gator; Bushhog ZTR; Volvo Mini Excavator EC45

Quote Originally Posted by Ductape View Post
    You know what they say............ the most bountiful crop in New England, ROCKS !

I'll let you in on a secret I learned back (waaaaaaay back) when I was a teenager digging pools for a pool company. Dig a big hole next to the rocks that are too big to move. Leave a bit of a downhill path into the hole, then push or pull the rock into the hole and bury it.

Another alternative would be to drill holes into the big rocks with a masonry drill. Pickup some Dexpan Non Explosive Blasting, Controlled Blasting No Explosive, Non Explosive Demolition and use it to make smaller rocks........ which you can then move.

Good luck !
    WOW..is there such a product for tree stumps?
    Jeremiah 2:11a "Has a nation changed its gods, Which are not gods?