PTO shaft doesn't free wheel

/ PTO shaft doesn't free wheel #1  

JJZ 109

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2380/LA344 loader/60" MMM, Bobcat S185 skid steer, JD X394 4 wheel steer mower
I asked this question once before about a B3030, but here goes again:
My rear PTO shaft will not turn freely so that I can line up the splines when I'm trying to attach an implement shaft.
I was told to move the selector lever from rear to mid PTO and the rear shaft would be free to turn. I tried it today and that doesn't seem to be the case. And the PTO clutch is not engaged, so that shouldn't be holding it up. No mention in the PTO section of the manual on how to make it turn freely when engine is off and attaching an implement.
I get the feeling that I'm overlooking something really simple and will feel like a dope when I get the answer! :D

/ PTO shaft doesn't free wheel
A little Google research turned up this little gem:

The B3030 uses a wet clutch to transmit power to the PTO. The control lever is a hydraulic valve that applies/releases the clutch. Since their are no sliding gears or splines involved, you can engage the PTO at any RPM without clashing. When you disengage the pto, an internal brake is applied. Although a Kubota rep told me the brake was designed to stop implements rotation, IMHO, any high inertia implements (such as a brush hog) should be slowed by reducing engine rpm to idle before disengageing the pto to reduce wear on the internal brake.

Could this brake be the answer to my question? What if you have an implement that isn't conducive to turning the shaft by hand?

/ PTO shaft doesn't free wheel #3  
Yes, the brake is why you cant turn it when the rear shaft is in gear [selected] but when you select mid it seems rear would be disengaged and you could turn it. Are you byany chance selecting the position that engages both and thinking mid?
larry

/ PTO shaft doesn't free wheel #4  
I go through this all the time.I have the front snowblower.I need to turn the driveshaft to grease the u-joints or clear the blower-I place the selector lever in Rear only to turn the front shaft freely.I would think for your rear blower you need to place the PTO lever to Front only to allow it to turn freely.As an after thought,I've posted before about the PTO lever being difficut to move-anyone had this experience?Good Luck,

/ PTO shaft doesn't free wheel #5  
My JD 3720 won't spin unless I turn the tractor off. (Then it will turn freely about half a turn.) I suspect the pto brake is disengaged when turned off. Give that a try.

/ PTO shaft doesn't free wheel #6  
jjz109 - Do you have more then one pto selection loacation on your tractor ? On mine the BX24 I have 3 selections. The rear, rear and mid and mid only. I find switching to mid only allows the rear pto shaft to spin freely by hand to make it easier to hook up. perhaps yours might be same way?