Ballast BX2360...load rear tires or wheel weights?

/ BX2360...load rear tires or wheel weights? #1  

Mylesclark

Tractor
BX 2200
Trading our BX220 for a BX2360. I was considering loading the rear tires....they use windshield washer fluid. I also noticed that there are wheel weights available.

I know the windshield fluid wouldn't be as heavy as Calcium...but I don't want the corrosiveness.

I like the idea of the wheel weights...being able to take them off...since in the spring we drive over some very wet muddy soil.

/ BX2360...load rear tires or wheel weights? #2  
I prefer wheel weights for the same reasons you just stated

/ BX2360...load rear tires or wheel weights? #3  
Here's another reason not to load the tires. On Saturday, I used my rake to clear a path in my woods maybe 150' back from the house. Went to fire up the tractor on Sunday and had flat right rear wheel. Took a look and found a galvanized nail stuck through an openning between the tread blocks on my turf tire - must have been old construction debris. I thougt to myself what a mess if the tires were loaded. A bottle of slime later, it was good to go and so far is holding air fine.

/ BX2360...load rear tires or wheel weights? #4  
If you have the money, I would say get the weights. Atleast with Air you can change your own tire. You and four plus some more would be needed with liquid. LOL!

/ BX2360...load rear tires or wheel weights? #5  
I just had mine loaded. I wish I had done it when I first got the tractor. I have only had a chance to mow with it a little bit, but it doesn't seem to be tearing up the yard anymore than it did before it was loaded. There are advantages to either method.

/ BX2360...load rear tires or wheel weights? #6  
After having the tractor with the tires loaded, I wouldn't do it any other way. My neighbor has a weight box that he hates. It works really well but he loses his 3PH and you have to plan ahead because you only want it on when you need it and sometimes you need it in small bursts during a long day. Wheel weights were always a pain to put on and off and store and I found the wheels rusted quicker if you just left them on. Whatever makes you happy but I like the "Fill 'em and forget 'em" strategy. The biggest thing the BX models lack is traction, not HP so that weight comes in handy now matter how you add it. A side note on the BX, today I was cleaning up the roadsides and hooked a chain on a 30' long by 12" log that was over a bank. I wasn't sure if the tractor was going to be able to pull it but that log came out no problem. I have to find a bigger log to see what the limits of this beast are. The extra weight plus my big butt sure came in handy since I didn't spin a tire.

/ BX2360...load rear tires or wheel weights? #7  
I like to start off with the weights with customers. For when we find a need for more you still have two possibilities, weight box or loading the tires the worst of options.

You shuld always set up a tractor for the bulk of it's work load, not for what might be. That way you would get better fuel economy as well as less wear overall.

/ BX2360...load rear tires or wheel weights? #8  
I have had both, wheel weights and Rim-Guard. They both work as well if your using a FEL or you need more traction. I had large weights and Calcium in my old Oliver, can't remember how much they weighed but they were huge and heavy, I knew that I was never going to take them off because they were a b--ch to remove. Now with the B3200 TLB I have Rim-Guard in rears with r-4's, so far good set-up.
Devildog