Alternator question

/ Alternator question #1  

docm

Tractor
Kubota L2500DT 4WD
Does anyone know if an alternator from another type of vehicle will fit my
L2500. I really don't relish paying several hundred bucks for one from my K-dealer. One of my friends said he heard that a older automobile model from Napa or any parts house would work. I'm going to see about finding a small shop to rebuild mine, but I thought I'd check and see if any one here had any for sure information....

/ Alternator question #2  
Yes there is an exact fit to most all Kubota tractors. Hitachi alternators.
If you have an external regulator use a 14105, this fits early 70's Datsun/Nissan PU and Chev Love PU.
If you have an internal regulator it is a 14231, this is from late 70's early 80's Nissan PU and a lot of others.
Either of these can be found at most all auto parts places, rebuilt for around $35 to $45 or new for $55 to $65
KennyV..

/ Alternator question #3  
those prices Kenny V quotes are good. Your other option is to take it to an auto electric shop to rebuild. Its what I do with mine.

/ Alternator question #4  
I just bought the 14231. $55.00 at Autozone. It is not an "exact" fit for my l2500. I will have to get a longer bolt for the bottom and drill the holes on the bottom ears of the alternator about 1/16" bigger. But, it is going to work. I already had it on the tractor temporary and everything seems to work OK. It beats the price Kubota wanted by about $300.00.

Last edited:
   / Alternator question #5  
HOW MANY AMPS. I BET IT IS WAY MORE THAN THE ORIGINAL. GOOD FOR MORE LITES OR A 110 VOLT INVERTER.

/ Alternator question #6  
   / Alternator question #7  
It is a 35 amp alternator. I put it on last night using a longer bolt that i essentially made into a stud on the existing bottom mounting bracket of the tractor.
The top ear of the alternator had to go to the front of the top bracket with the bolt coming through from the rear.