Hard starting BX-24

/ Hard starting BX-24 #1  

BuckeyeWilly

Tractor
Kubota BX2370
I'm having a heck of a time getting my BX-24 started on the initial startup of the day. I keep it in my garage which is under the house so it never gets that cold. I have to put the fuel throttle lever on full, hold the start key for 60 or so seconds and then crank and crank to get it started. My hand gets tired before it will finally start. Once it has been running for 15 minutes or so it starts fine the rest of the day.

Last night when I got home I put an electric heater blowing right on the engine for 45 minutes and then started it. Going through the same starting routine it started in about 10-15 seconds. This convinced me that the glow plugs were not working. I called my dealer today and he agreed with that and said to check the fuses so thats what I did tonight. The fuse box was dirty inside but the fuses looked ok. I pulled them all out, cleaned and checked them and then put them back in. Unless I am missing a fuse then this isnt the problem. The top row of fuses (horizontal) has 3 fuses - a 10, 15 & 20 amp. The last spot is empty.

Any ideas? I have checked the fuel, changed the filters. What about the fuel pump? Appreciate any help guys!!

Willy

/ Hard starting BX-24 #2  
What do you mean by throttle on full? It should be just bumped up a little, not on all the way. What other symtoms are you having ? when it finally starts, do you have alot of black smoke ? Do you have this problem with same batch of diesel ? I am not sure why you need to check fuses if it starts anyway eventually ? After you got it started, does the engine run rough till it warms up or no difference ? when the engine is cold, try checking the resistance with the ohm meter on the glow plugs and see if you see any difference in readings from the others.

/ Hard starting BX-24
radioman, if i don't have the throttle on full I dont think it would start. Yes there is some black smoke when it starts but I throttle down immediately and the smoke quits quickly. This problem has been on going for a while on different batches of diesel. No the engine runs smoothly as soon as it starts. When the dealer told me to check the fuses I assumed he meant a fuse had blown and thats why the glow plugs were not heating.

radioman, I will admit my ignorance to diesel engines, glow plugs etc. This is my first. Thanks for your reply.

/ Hard starting BX-24 #4  
OK - next time, just bump up the throttle up , not all the way. Next , are you sure you are glowing the plugs before cranking the engine ? you should hear some sort of a clicking noise when glowing the plugs before cranking. Your manual will tell you how long depending on the outside temps. usually 5-10 seconds is good average before cranking above 50 degrees.

/ Hard starting BX-24 #5  
My BX 2200 became hard to start and I found the glow plug wire broken at the top of the engine.

/ Hard starting BX-24 #6  
I'm having a heck of a time getting my BX-24 started on the initial startup of the day. I keep it in my garage which is under the house so it never gets that cold. I have to put the fuel throttle lever on full, hold the start key for 60 or so seconds and then crank and crank to get it started. My hand gets tired before it will finally start. Once it has been running for 15 minutes or so it starts fine the rest of the day.

Last night when I got home I put an electric heater blowing right on the engine for 45 minutes and then started it. Going through the same starting routine it started in about 10-15 seconds. This convinced me that the glow plugs were not working. I called my dealer today and he agreed with that and said to check the fuses so thats what I did tonight. The fuse box was dirty inside but the fuses looked ok. I pulled them all out, cleaned and checked them and then put them back in. Unless I am missing a fuse then this isnt the problem. The top row of fuses (horizontal) has 3 fuses - a 10, 15 & 20 amp. The last spot is empty.

Any ideas? I have checked the fuel, changed the filters. What about the fuel pump? Appreciate any help guys!!

Willy

Dude, you have something wrong. You should need to glow about 2 seconds MAX in you weather in OH. I glow them for about 3 to 4 MAX seconds in ANY winter weather in northeast.