Tires filled tires.....gooooood

/ filled tires.....gooooood #1  

bigballer

Platinum Member
PNW - North Central bWashington - The Evergreen St
Tractor
2006 Kubota L3400
after 3 years of very cautious maneuvering and avoiding some massive blackberry covered deadfall, i decided to get my rear tires filled. after the tire guy left i hopped aboard and headed right to those pesky deadfall logs and holy-moly what a difference. i picked them right up (while on a slight slope) and the tractor didn't skip a beat, no puckering due to rear wheel lift, no feeling of inevitable tipover, and no traction loss.. someone on here said having loaded tires made his tractor feel like it was glued to the ground and i couldn't agree more i was crossing terrain i only dreamed of before. i'd honestly say it's like having an entire new tractor with at least 30% more lifting capacity! of course if your prop is perfectly flat and you spend most of your time on the lawn you may opt not to do this but if you're like me with slopes and rocks and stumps and woods and hips and dips you can't go wrong. it's the best addition to my tractor yet!

/ filled tires.....gooooood #2  
I just had mine filled last week and I feel the same way, big improvement.

/ filled tires.....gooooood #3  
Just remember how much weight you added when it comes time to remove rear wheel from the tractor when you service it ! ;)

/ filled tires.....gooooood #4  
Pucker is a good word for that feeling..........had it happened a couple of times and thought I was going over (in or near our pond) for sure.......I will get this done soon.....plenty 'o hills, slopes and bottoms on our place......

did you do it yourself or have it done at the dealer???

someone this week told me that he filled his with just water......is this right or isn't there some other named fluid that is supposed to be used??
I'm guessing just over half full....

thanks and congrats...

/ filled tires.....gooooood #5  
What are you guys filling these with? What is best?

/ filled tires.....gooooood
my dealer contracts this work to a local tire shop so i had them come out and they use a product called bio-tire ballast which weighs about 10lbs/gal slightly more than water. this is similar to the enviro-friendly rimguard which is beet juice mix but apparently has canola in it as well. they were filled to the top of the rim (thumping on the tire with a wrench is easiest way to tell how high the fluid is).. on my L3400 R4's it ended up being 30 gallons in each tires. cost was $3.25/gal plus an hour of truck time.

/ filled tires.....gooooood #8  
Probably my next upgrade, but wonder how much it will help on the smaller BX's.

/ filled tires.....gooooood #9  
Johnny Law, it will help more than you think. I have a BX2350 and it helped, espically with the end loader.

/ filled tires.....gooooood #10  
johnnylaw -
I have driven my bx for 2 years unloaded. I filled mine with rimgaurd and boy what a difference! I have post a thread on this last fall showing what I did to fill the tires myself. I think the smaller tractors really should have been filled unless requested not to since they are a bit tippy and bouncy. Having filled tires makes it feel more secure to the ground and easier to pick up stuff with FEL without all the pucker factor.

laen64-
Since you asked what is best to fill tires with, I think it's really based on where you live. Freezing? livestock? need heaviest ballast ?
calcuim cloride is the heavest I beleive but requires tubes in to prevent rust and can kill plants if it leaks. Rimguard and bio-tire is the next best and second heavist but safer for rims and plants. then you have washer fluid and antifreeze that won't freeze but posionous to livestock and plants. then of course water wil work if you live in state like texas where freezing is not much of a issue. ( oh yeah forgot foam which is heaviest i think but it gives a harder ride then liquid from what I heard but it s best if you need puncture protection. ) Does anyone want to chime in and correct me if I am wrong or need to add a few ?