Power Steering Hose Failure

/ Power Steering Hose Failure #1  

k8ny

Silver Member
Tractor
BX2200
Well, well. Been quite a while since I've been on this forum.
Just had my BX 2200 power steering hose fail for the first time. Was not aware that this was a problem until I noticed hydraulic fluid leaking down from the engine compartment (actually it was the hoses passing near the compartment).
After a long examination I located the leak source (just as the hose is bending outside the battery compartment).
Spoke to the first Kubota dealer- he said it was a common problem on most BX 2200's. He explained that the quality of the hose was not the best and that excess heat and pressure caused by long max steering input as well as the hydraulic control lever not returning to neutral after raising or lowering deck contributes to the failure. At any rate, whatever the cause, mine is leaking fairly heavily.
After doing a search here on the forum, I discovered an interesting fact some member posted. In the BX 2200 Operator's Manual, under the Maintenance section, it states that the Power Steering hoses need to be replaced every 2 years. Interesting. I am not a hydraulic expert but this sounds way premature for replacing hoses.
Anyway, the dealer tells me this is a time consuming job as ROPS, tank and other assemblies need to be removed in order to replace hoses.
My first dealer quoted $460.00 including 6 hours labor. The second dealer quoted $340.00 including labor.
BTW mine is a 2001 BX with 520 hours.
Would be interested if members with newer model BX's have the same Maintenance requirements in their Operator's Manual.
Thanks - Bob

/ Power Steering Hose Failure #2  
On my 2001 BX2200, my first steering hose leak was the one that comes from the rear to the controller under the dash. I replaced both of the ones that go to the rear at that time, kinda tight to get at under the dash. A while later one of the hoses that run from the controller to the front steering cylinder started leaking where it comes out of the firewall next to the radiator, I replaced both of these hoses and haven't had a problem since and that was more than two years ago. I suspect if you replace them with quality hoses, you won't have to do it again for a long time, hydraulic hoses should last for many years.

/ Power Steering Hose Failure #3  
I would have the dealer replace all four hoses while your tractor is for service. I replaced the front two in 2005 and the rear two in 2006 on the 2000 BX 2200 that I traded in earlier this month.
Will

/ Power Steering Hose Failure #4  
Your post got me curious, so I opened my owners manual and found that Kubota suggests changing out the steering hoses at two years on my tractor too. Mine is a BX23 with about 330 hours on it. There haven't been any leaks yet and it is going on 4+ years. I think I will wait till it starts to leak. Tomorrow, when it is light out, I'll give it a good look over.

/ Power Steering Hose Failure #5  
$340???? Good grief. The hoses are about $15 or $20 each. I've replaced all of them on my bx2200. I replaced one and then another went and I replaced the other 3 b/c this isn't something you want to keep doing. If you have a set of wrenches and 2 hrs and don't mind 3 busted knuckles, you can do this job yourself. Once you get the mower deck and dash off, it goes pretty quick w/ a few cuss words. I'd take the hoses to a hose shop and get their premium hose custom made to fit.

Now I have the dreaded steering drift at 500 hours and will be buying the steering rebuild kit.

/ Power Steering Hose Failure #6  
k8ny.

If the hose is leaking at a spot that you can get to, why not cut out the section that is leaking and splice in a new section with screw on fittings. Beats the heck out of $460, and $340. If it is leaking at a fitting, purchase the hose and screw fittings and do your own work. Don't give your money away if you have the capability and know how.

/ Power Steering Hose Failure #7  
Saw your April 2009 postings. Any update? I seem to have the same problem on my BX2200, starting from up near the radiator or steering column somewhere. Think the leak is from the hose(s) inside the fabric wrap. I'm interested to know if I should attempt the hose change myself. I am fairly new to this, but not afraid to try if its not too difficult.

/ Power Steering Hose Failure #8  
Not being familiar with the layout I would suggest replacing all the hoses in that hard to get at place. As suggested get premium hoses made for the replacement.:D

Any chance of revising the piping a little to make it easier to work on.:confused::confused:

Blew a loader hose on the tractor several days ago. Fortunately it was the curl function so I could load the tractor and take it home. It failed due to abrasion. Replacement was forty dollars with a much heavier hose. The abrasion item has also been fixed.:D

/ Power Steering Hose Failure #9  
As SkipperBrown said, it just takes a little time to change them. Replace all 4 hoses unless you the job and don't mind losing your SUDT repeatedly. Forget about trying to get the bad one patched, they are low quality to start with.

/ Power Steering Hose Failure #10  
We've done all 4 and agree a cuss word or two will slip out, and be sure and wear gloves. I used Kubota hoses on the back and had the front made locally. The mistake I made was not having them put the protective sleeve back on the front hoses when they were made. The ends were larger than the Kubota hoses and the sleeve would not go on. It was harder than I thought to find the larger size of protective sleeve. Other than that it just took time and patience.