Oil & Fuel Kubota M series front axle and differential oil change

/ Kubota M series front axle and differential oil change #1  

jcummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, F3680, Mule Pro Fxt
I am a little overdue in changing the fluid for both of these, but one of the reasons, every time I look at it, I知 confused as to how these interrelate.

The drain plug for both the differential and the axle gear appear to be the same drain plug. So if you change oil on one, you change both. The manual has separate instructions for each one.

I have a M7040HD 4wd. The manual is for all the M series so this applies to the M5040 thru M7040. Anyone that has done this, can you verify, that the drain plug is the same for each procedure, and that you really can稚 change oil independently.

/ Kubota M series front axle and differential oil change #2  
Mr Cummins:
I previously had the 7040 too, and yes, you are right, as I recall the drain plugs for the ft end are on the lower end of each hub. This drains the entire ft. axle as there is no drain plug for the differential. It just takes a long time to drain. On the refill, keep rough track of the overall amount you put in looking at the various capacities in the manual. Given that setup, it will take a while for everything to settle. Fill to the drain plug overfill on each, run the tractor a bit, and check again, it probably will show a bit low, that's normal. I would recommend getting a GL5 80/90 stating it has additives for limited slip, though all my inquiries say I don't need it. BTW the 8590 has a separate drain on the differential itself, just a bit more convenient. good luck

/ Kubota M series front axle and differential oil change
In the manual they call the hubs?he axle. What I think of as the axle, they call the differential. Their nomenclature seems odd to me.

Also the fill plugs for the axle is below the fill plug for the differential.
I haven稚 tried it, but I suspect taking the fill plug off the axle oil won稚 come out.

If the drain is the same for both?why would they put separate instructions for draining and filling in the manual?

Seems a bit crazy the way they did this.

Did you even use the fill plugs on the 疎xle which is really the hubs at the end of what I call the axle?hey call it the differential.

/ Kubota M series front axle and differential oil change #4  
I've got the M8540 and recently did the front differential and gear hub fluid change. I contacted Kubota and they recommended that I use 80W-90 gear oil. The kubota rep also suggested that I use my loader to lift the front tires off the ground, doing this allows you to manually push on a front tire to tilt the front axle which can help to drain the fluid. You might want to ask about this. As far as I know the fluid reservoir for the front differential and hubs is all connected/shared.

/ Kubota M series front axle and differential oil change #5  
I have a 7040 and drained both plugs, one side wont drain what is in the other hub below the axle, although it will drain the differnential. I poured one with oil and them topped off the system thru the other till the level plug in the differential had oil draining out. It was darn close to the same amount out as in. getting oil back in a a pain. Takes a flexible small funnel to wrap around the wheel hub to get into the fill holes.

/ Kubota M series front axle and differential oil change #6  
Yea... both hubs are connected to the diff... drain both hubs at the same time with the filler and sighting bolts removed from the "driver side" left side of the front axle, allows it to breath and drain quicker.
Takes a long freakin time!!!!!:confused2: its really an overnight procedure to get them completely drained... what a P.I.T.A.!!:mad:
I then suspended a 1 gallon jug with the bottom cut off inverted from the loader arm, and a tube connected to its lid that went into the hub filling hole to put 3.5L into each hub and then topped off the diff through the diff filling hole until it flowed out the sighting hole.
I found that having the front axle off the ground using the loader did make it easier. I could tilt the axle and rotate the wheels which turns the axle allowing the fluid to drain and fill quicker.
I used 80W-90 as a replacement in the diff and hubs instead of the Kubota UDT.

/ Kubota M series front axle and differential oil change #7  
Not much to add to the recommendations. These guys are all correct.

I, too, was mystified by the specs on the front axle - especially when the area was looked at visually.

Just drain both hubs through the bottom drains. I really like the overnight drain idea and will do that next time. Also the tilting of the axle back and forth should help.

Filling is indeed a pain. Plus, there is no way to get it filled on the first try. Check it every week for a month. You'll likely have to add gear oil each time.