Mowing mowing in high gear

/ mowing in high gear #1  

kokopelli2

Gold Member
Tractor
kubota/b2910
has anyone had a problem with mowing in high gear? does anyone out there mow in high gear. i haven't yet and am afraid to since my dealer told me not to. i just received my b2410 hts. i usume it has the power to do so, but dont want to ruin anything.
thanx guys

/ mowing in high gear #2  
First of all congratulation on your B2410 purchase/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif
My answer would be feel out the speed in which does a better job cutting also keep your rpm where need be.
I rather use low range,but than again most of my mowing on a slope.[smile

Be careful and just take your time and have fun./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Stay safe and be /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

Thomas..NH

/ mowing in high gear #3  
Did you ask the dealer why he said to not mow in high gear? I don't know the speed ranges of the different gears on the 2410, and usually mid-range is fast enough to suit me on my B2710, but yes, I occasionally use high range when I want to go a little faster. And when I had the B7100, I did most of the brush hog mowing in high range.

Bird

/ mowing in high gear #4  
I doubt that tractor companies design a range into their machines the only purpose of which is to travel to and from the job, which is what I also have heard some dealers say.

If you mow at too fast a speed, the sky will not fall; you will simply get a lousy cut. You cant mow as fast in high grass as low grass for the same quality cut.

I mow as fast as possible-almost always in high range-consistent with getting a good cut. If you are on flat land and mow frequently, you can go pretty darned fast.

Glenn

/ mowing in high gear #5  
kokopelli2,
Again, congratulations on your new tractor. I believe when you say you have a "b2410 hts" you are indicating that you have a B2410 hydrostat which has a HIGH range and a LOW range (no MID-range), and if I understand you question correctly, you are asking "Is it okay to mow with the transmission in HIGH range?".

"Speed over the ground" does affect the quality of the cut. I see no problem mowing in HIGH range on reasonably level ground with minor grades as long as you are not straining the engine. You can easily adjust the ground speed as needed (or desired) with the hydrostat control pedal to achieve that quality of cut that you desire.

Kelvin

/ mowing in high gear #6  
Are you doing finish mowing or field mowing? I do field mowing with my B2400 HSD and use low-range, but only because the area I cut is very hilly and rough and low-range gives more precise control over speed (or slowness and in this case). My choice has nothing to do with power. The flatter areas I mow in high range with no problem.

/ mowing in high gear
guys
thanx for all of the input. i am finish mowing on almost completely flat land. i had a b7300 for a day and it seemed to stuggle even in low gear. i have been going all out in low with the b2410 with out and RPM loss.
i have been overly please with my new pruchase. it is such an upgrade from my '71 JD 140!

/ mowing in high gear #8  
kokopelli2,

I own a NH TC18 Hydro and mow with a 3 pt. 5' finish mower.
My tractor has a high range and low range only. I have always mowed the lawn in high range at a reasonable ground speed and NEVER had a problem with power or cut.

When I recently purchased a 4' rotary cutter, since I was mowing my field for the first time, I mowed in low range at full speed most of the time. My field is long and narrow (265' wide) and has a slight grade for about 1/4 of the length. I had NO problems mowing 2'-4' tall grasses, wild flowers and some small bushes.

Just listen carefully to your engine and keep an eye on your rpm.

Good Luck, JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ mowing in high gear #9  
JimBinMI, It would be my luck to be mowing all 2' grass and find a hole (with 4') grass growing in it if I mowed 'fast' the first time through! What a surprise that would be!

/ mowing in high gear #10  
I agree with JimBinMi. I mow in high range unless the ground is too dangerous to be in high, and never see the rpm's drop one iota even in 3 foot high grass. Your 2410 has more horses than my B1700, so clearly if I can mow in high so can you I would think.