Shortened Joystick to Ease Getting Off-BX

/ Shortened Joystick to Ease Getting Off-BX #1  

bxonthelake

I've always had a hard time getting off on the right side of my BX1500, so today I shortened the loader joystick to make it a little easier. I just sawed about 4.5" off and reinstalled the knob, took about 5 minutes. Loader still functions fine. See pics to see details.
JD

Attachments

• ShortJoystick1.JPG
    ShortJoystick1.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 570
  • ShortJoystick2.JPG
    ShortJoystick2.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 532
  • ShortJoystickFinal.JPG
    ShortJoystickFinal.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 577
   / Shortened Joystick to Ease Getting Off-BX #2  
Does it make it harder/more akward to reach? Would it get uncomfortable after a long day of loader work?

I have been thinking about doing the same to my 3400 because I always catch my side on the joystick.

/ Shortened Joystick to Ease Getting Off-BX #3  
Hmmm, been thinking of doing the same to my BX1860 but haven't investigated it yet. My concern was whether the knob was attached with threads like on a car shifter, or could just be pulled off. So I guess the knob is not threaded onto the end of the rod, correct? If I do this, I think I'll only take off 2'-3" just so I can get on/off from the right side of the tractor.

/ Shortened Joystick to Ease Getting Off-BX #4  
Haha nice first post, I have been thinking about doing that to mine since day 1.
Just never got around to doing it. I know....those 5 minutes are hard to find in an entire day. :)

/ Shortened Joystick to Ease Getting Off-BX #5  
I can't believe I've never thought of doing that. I have always just gotten off on the left side although it's very inconvenient lots of times. I will have to check out if the shorter positions is comfortable.

/ Shortened Joystick to Ease Getting Off-BX
I'm glad you like the idea. To answer some questions:

The knob is just pressed on, no threads.
The only thing you will notice is that due to less leverage, the force required on the lever is greater. But not a problem at all.
The reach is fine, still feels comfortable. I have just bought a TIG welder, so I figured if I didn't like it, I'd just weld the piece back on.
But I like it, so no welding needed.
JD

/ Shortened Joystick to Ease Getting Off-BX #7  
simple idea, simple fix. However I seem to like the long handle and wonder if it would be better to be telescoping ?

/ Shortened Joystick to Ease Getting Off-BX #8  
I've always had a hard time getting off on the right side of my BX1500, so today I shortened the loader joystick to make it a little easier. I just sawed about 4.5" off and reinstalled the knob, took about 5 minutes. Loader still functions fine. See pics to see details.
JD
No need to cut the end off.
Just get off on the other side.

/ Shortened Joystick to Ease Getting Off-BX #9  
JD

Looks great! Better than the stock look...:)

/ Shortened Joystick to Ease Getting Off-BX #10  
I run a large rough terrian forklift at work,and we are made from day 1 to enter and exit on the opposite side of the controls for safety reasons.Iguess its just a habit i bring home too,i always get out the left door.Nice idea though,it is a tight squeeze ,especially with a cab.
ALAN