radiator flush

/ radiator flush #1  

retired 2007

hi everyone i have a bx2230 4 years old i need to flush the radiator . after i flush can i put in reg anti freeze (50/50 mix) or do i have to use kubota anti freeze
thanks for any input retired 2007

/ radiator flush #2  
anti freeze is anti freez. i would buy full blend and mix the 50/50 yourself. or you are just paying for 1/2 water and 1/2 anti freeze

/ radiator flush #3  
I completed a pressure flush (take a old rad cap and attach a air hose coupling and blow out any junk) in the Fall and then used Preston @ a 60-40 mix antifreez to water...but this is for Central Texas...not cold but HOT!

Be sure to check - retighted all hoses.

/ radiator flush #4  
Don't forget to drain and refill overflow container. I bought antifreeze made for diesels at Walmart. I think it was made by Peak. Not sure what's different about it, but it wasn't any more expensive as I recall.

/ radiator flush #5  
The Kubota manual calls for the P.T. or "Permanent" type antifreeze for Bx2230.

/ radiator flush #6  
anti freeze is anti freez. i would buy full blend and mix the 50/50 yourself. or you are just paying for 1/2 water and 1/2 anti freeze

Antifreeze is not just antifreeze anymore. There are numerous different types and formulations.

Whichever type you choose to use, conventional or extended life make sure it is a heavy duty diesel rated coolant, not the normal automotive type antifreeze. Also, do not use tap water, it will plug up your cooling system over the years with hard water deposits. Get yourself a couple of gallons of steam distilled water from the grocery store. Cost me 99 cents a gallon around here for steam distilled water.

/ radiator flush
thanks for the information , had no idea that the there was anti freeze for diesels.
i have already changed and put in reg anti freeze should i re do with the diesel type?
also is tere a engine block drain? i serched my manuels but could not find any refrence. other than to drain the radiator and overflow?
thanks retired 2007

/ radiator flush #8  
i have already changed and put in reg anti freeze should i re do with the diesel type?
also is tere a engine block drain? i serched my manuels but could not find any refrence. other than to drain the radiator and overflow?
thanks retired 2007

I'd change the antifreeze and put the correct stuff in. I use low compressed air pressure to force water through the system to drain block. Don't fill it all the way with a 50/50 mixture so you can measure the protection level after it runs for awhile and add some extra antifreeze if the water in the block dilutes it too much.

/ radiator flush #9  
Seems this subject can be as complicated as you want to make it. Opinions vary from anything goes to special pre charged pre mixed diesel coolants.

You'll probably be fine with regular antifreeze. My manual, under coolant specifications say "Fresh clean water with Anti-freeze", that is should be ethylene glycol based, long life and not much else, except for an obscure note about making sure it's mixing ratio must be less than 50%. And I'd assume if it's not long life, it should be changed sooner. I don't have a BX though.

If your concerned, you may also be able to add an SCA (supplemental coolant additive) for diesels instead of starting over. From what I've gathered, SCA's appear to be used to extend the life of coolant and are added to ethylene glycol base for heavy duty diesel use.

I've been trying to figure this out for a while, this thread gets pretty detailed if you want to learn more: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/oil-fuel-lubricants/121377-antifreeze-any-type-ok-8.html