B2910 hard to use throttle

/ B2910 hard to use throttle #1  

donalddavis

Tractor
Kubota B2910 HST, Bush Hog ATH 600
Hi everyone. Well, I've had mt new Kubota B2910 for about 5 days now and am already tikering with it's innards! I couldn't stand that throttle lever any more. It was very hard to move smoothly..I could move it but with a jerky, unsmooth action. So...I took off the one screw on the upper front of the plastic cowling, knocked the roll pin out of the throttle lever (so I could move the cowling up a bit to access the adjustment nuts, and eventually lfted the thing up high enough under the steering wheel (which I left in place) to get a wrench in on those nuts. The jamnut was backed off (they're 12 mm wrench size) and then I backed off the flange nut just a bit. The result was the throttle couldn't stay in any position because now the spring action of the whole throttle linkage setup was greater than the friction on the fiber (I think) plates of the throttle lever. So, I decided to take the whole thing apart and put high pressure/temp grease on everything and torque it back down. Under the flange nut, is a flat washer and two black springy washers that may be made out of some sort of fibre...not really sure. They are arced so that when flattened out under the pressure of the flange nut, they will be supplying frictional force to keep the whole mechanism from returning to idle under the effect of the linkage spring. I cleaned off whatever grease was on the washers along with the WD 40 I had sprayed on (to no avail)and smeared the sticky high pressure grease on all surfaces. I lifted the throttle rod up high enough to put some of that grease on the similar washer located on the upper side of the mounting flange that the mechanism passes through. Then, I put back the flange nut. Had to guess at how hard to tighten it, then reposition the plastic cowling so that I could temporarily put the throttle handle back on the shaft to see if it worked right (too loose or too tight). Turns out luck was on my side and it was a good guess at the amount of torque supplied to the flange nut. Then, I took the throttle handle back off again (I had stck a drill bit through the cross hole so I could have it turn the rod without having to reinstall the roll pin,), lifted the cowling back up a bit, and put on the jam nut. I didn't have a wrench narrow enough to hold the flange nut in position while tightening the jam nut, so had to grind down one of my 12mm open end metric wrenches, sacrificing it into the "special tool" category. Finally managed to get the jam nut tight enough without screwing up the torque on the flange nut, and put evything back together. It works like an absolute dream now. Nice solid feel but smooth as butter. I put all the details of this job on this post in case any of you have the same problem and are sick of dealing with it. I think the engineers should have used teflon for those thrust washers. It would have been smooth and still provided the necessary resistance to keep the throttle at any specific setting. Hope this helps! By the way...I read some posts about bad brakes so decided to test mine on a slope while the HST was in neutral. The thing stopped on a dime and the parking break mechanism held it in place just fine. I love that tractor despite minor glitches.

Don

/ B2910 hard to use throttle #2  
Thank you for posting this...my B2710 has the same problem, and I was just getting up the nerve to explore the situation./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ B2910 hard to use throttle #3  
Did it! Throttle now extra smooth, works as it should...
Was really tight access, though - could only move wrenches 1/8 turn.
Took me a little longer than it should have. I had to go back and remove grease from the jam nut(s) and associated threads before they would work properly. That's what happens when you try to work on your machine after a midnight shift /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif .

/ B2910 hard to use throttle
Ian,
Glad to hear yor throttle job was a success. Sure is tight under there, isn't it?
Don

/ B2910 hard to use throttle #5  
Is this still working well for you? I would like to do the same thing.

/ B2910 hard to use throttle #6  
I'm glad all your tinkering has worked but I'm gladder still that all I had to do is hit all the linkages once in awhile with some lithium grease!

/ B2910 hard to use throttle #7  
Do you mean you put the grease around on the outside of those friction plates under the cowling in question? Does that really work when it gets warmed up? After running a while it's like trying to break a chicken leg to move the throttle. I just as soon glop some grease around it once in a while instead of taking the thing apart. I have no patience to deal with that if I don't have to. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

Yes!!! It is still working very smoothly. When I first got it, it was very hard to use.

Don

What I mean about greasing the friction plates, is I put grease on ALL the surfaces that rub against anything. This required taking both nuts off the end of the shaft, lifting up the throttle lever shaft, sliding off the plates, greasing them all, putting them back on, and tightening the things back down. If you don't re-tighten enough, the spring return on the throttle will overpower the friction of the plates and the throttle will always return to idle by itself. You have to tighten enough so this doesn't happen. The big question for you is: Is it worth it? My answer, without having anyone to tell me how to do it, is still a resounding YES. I hated the darn thing before and now it works as smoothly as the rest of this great little rig (B 2910 HST)

Don

/ B2910 hard to use throttle #10  
Thanks, I brought this in to the dealer last night with my tractor to have them look at my steering boost problem and told them I wanted this done too. It's only 2 1/2 weeks old so I figure I'll let them deal with it!