BX1850 buying questions!

/ BX1850 buying questions! #1  

98ramtough

Bronze Member
Currently I have a lawn tractor (JD X300) and a 1995 Kubota B7100. The kubota has a 60inch mmm,FEL,48 inch box scraper. I love this tractor but mowing without power steering or running the loader much without power steering just gets old. I have 2 acres of lawn and do light loader work occasionally. (river rock and gravel projects until my yard etc is finished). I have been thinking of upgrading to a scut and scaling down to one tractor. I checked out a BX1850 today and REALLY liked it. I think it might just be the ticket. So here is my questions.

Price-Dealer offered $11,000 for BX1850 with FEL and 54" mmm. They offered $6k trade on my B7100 with 60mmm and vacuum mower and FEL. Is this a good deal?

I will sell the JD X300 after I decide if I like mowing with the BX1850.

Concerns- Does the BX1850 mow as nice as my B7100? My current Kubota mows every bit as good or better than my Deere. Is the 1850 going to be as tough as the B7100? Will I break it doing Loader work or using the 48" box scraper? The B7100 was only 16hp and the 1850 is 18HP, but I know HP doesn't mean its as tough...

Thanks for your help.

/ BX1850 buying questions! #2  
I checked out a BX1850 today and REALLY liked it.

98ramtough - I highly suggest, that before you commit to the BX1850, that you put the tractor in high gear, go in reverse and then let off on the pedal to feel the abrupt reverse stop. If you are satisfied with the way it stops, I would say that you should pull the trigger. But, before you pull the trigger, see if they have a BX1860 on the lot and drive it in reverse also to see the difference.

/ BX1850 buying questions! #3  
Sounds like a decent deal on the tractor and on your trade.

To answer a couple of your questions:

I've never seen a B7100 mow, but my BX2230 mows better than any mower I've ever set foot on. And with mowing experience including a myriad of 'lesser' machines over the past 25 years, that is fairly high praise. My cousin owns a Kubota ZD21, a lawn-dedicated ZTR with a 60" deck and I dare say that my BX has every bit as good if not better mow quality than that machine. You will have NO issues with the mow quality.

The BX1850 (or any BX for that matter) is extremely durable. They have very minor quirks (air filter bracket), but Kubota has gone about fixing every major issue with the new BX line and it is a heck of a machine.

I'm laughing at your "will I break it doing loader work" question. I have borderline abused my machine and it just asks for more. I've used brute force to rip stumps out of the ground (pre-backhoe), ramming them with the FEL blade or yanking them with the box blade with a 12-ton tow strap lasso'ed around the tines...whole tractor jumping 3 inches off the ground. Absolutely unbeliveable the abuse my tractor has taken. Of course, with the addition of the backhoe, I'm able to be a little 'nicer' to my machine now, but it is no worse for the wear.

I've moved some 40 tons of stone, 20 tons of sand, 80 yards of dirt, 100 yards of mulch, tons and tons of paver stones, piles of wood, my RV trailer, my big trailer, my little trailer, my trash cans, and many, many, many, many other tasks and my BX tractor has never hiccuped, never refused to start, never sneezed, never coughed, and never DIDN'T complete a task in admireable fashion.

I love my BX.

/ BX1850 buying questions! #4  
Don't beat around the bush like that Keith, tell us what you really think! :D :D :D

/ BX1850 buying questions! #5  
I have a BX2350 and moved 80 tons of gravel about a month ago with the front end loader. I was rebuilding a driveway and building a praking area for my trailer. It didn't hurt a thing. I agree with Keith, mine cuts great. To be honest, its a heavier machine than most riding mowers. This will tend to rut a little more and cut up the grass a little more if the ground is really soft. Like someone else said, try backing up with it. Mine has the problem but it doesn't really bother me. Some people find it really annoying though.

/ BX1850 buying questions! #6  
I can only eccho support for the Bx product. 550 hours on my Bx2230. It's great because you can finish those big projects, and get the lawn mowed in the same day! I stripe my lawn with the vaccuum bagger and the cut quality is excellent. I have seen no more rutting than a lightweight riding mower, and if you alter the mowing pattern occasionally it is not an issue. The Bx2350 has a slightly longer wheelbase, and overall length compared to the 30 series. Mowing is best done with the loader removed (very easy to remove). Turning radius is best when in 2wd mode. The power steering is a pleasure to use.

Best of luck!