"Floating" deck guide wheels -- anyone make theirs bigger, or swivel?

/ "Floating" deck guide wheels -- anyone make theirs bigger, or swivel? #1  

jas67

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7610 + Kubota G1800-S
I have a G1800 with 4-wheel steering. My main complaint with it, is that the guide wheels dig into soft ground. Kubota decks are built like a battleship, and are quite heavy. This weight, combined with the relatively small contact surface of the guide wheels leads to ruts in the softer areas of my lawn. I suspect this is part of the reason that the BX's and other newer 'botas have suspended decks.

The other problem, is due to the 4-wheel steering, the guide wheels get dragged partially sideways when turning sharply, causing them to dig up the ground. If they would swivel, that would at least cure this problem.

I would love to have swiveling guide wheels that are wider (for less PSI on the ground), or maybe to add another two guide wheels to the rear of the deck inboard of the tractor's rear wheels.

Has anyone here done this type of mod? Are there different guide wheels from other model Kubotas that might be able to be retrofitted which, might be an improvement?

OR, has any one converted a floating deck to a suspended one, by adding height control? I could then just raise the guide wheels up some, and use them as anti-scape rollers.

Thanks,
Jay

/ "Floating" deck guide wheels -- anyone make theirs bigger, or swivel? #2  
My G1800 4ws has suffered from the same complaints you listed. Years ago, my kubota dealer told me that there was a conversion kit to partially suspend the mower deck using two heavy springs to attachment points below the decking (under where your feet go). I bought the kit, installed the springs and the various attachments in an hour or so. This solution has helped greatly and stops the "ring around the tree" effect of the left rear castor when turning. The kit is easily uninstalled and does not make the deck any more difficult to get on or off. This kubota solution was not perfect but does help.

/ "Floating" deck guide wheels -- anyone make theirs bigger, or swivel?
Thanks for the info, I'll look into it.

By "partially suspend", do you mean that it still rides on the guide wheels, but that the springs just unweight them some?

/ "Floating" deck guide wheels -- anyone make theirs bigger, or swivel? #4  
Exactly the 2 springs are thick and heavy and about 4 inches long each. They take up some of the weight of the deck. The deck is still suspended from the hydraulicly controlled arms. Hard to know for sure but I would guess that the 2 take off about 100 lbs of weight, leaving the deck effective weight about 100 lbs or so. My guess is the battleship like deck has a dead weight of 200 lbs. I bought the kit 15 years ago approx. When down the deck is suspended from the 2 springs and rides on the rear guide wheels

Last edited:
   / "Floating" deck guide wheels -- anyone make theirs bigger, or swivel? #5  
After rooting around in my garage spare parts box(es) I've found the part number for the "Mower Spring Kit" for the G1800 I described in earlier posts on this thread. The Kubota part number is 66111-98001 and this kit includes all springs, stays, pins, washers, nuts and bolts required. I've found it works well and didn't cost much (approx $50.00)

After rooting around in my garage spare parts box(es) I've found the part number for the "Mower Spring Kit" for the G1800 I described in earlier posts on this thread. The Kubota part number is 66111-98001 and this kit includes all springs, stays, pins, washers, nuts and bolts required. I've found it works well and didn't cost much (approx $50.00)

Thanks alot funkydaddy59! I'll call Messicks and see if they can still get the kit!

J.

funkydaddy59,

I just called Messicks, and 66111-98001 comes back as an invalid part number (not NLA, which some other things that I've inquired about have come back).

Can you please double check the numbers?

Thanks,
Jay

/ "Floating" deck guide wheels -- anyone make theirs bigger, or swivel? #8  
Sorry that Code No.66111-98001 didn't work. Unfortunately this code is correct. Not to worry, the attachment to this post has the required parts and Code Nos. of the kit. I checked on Messick's "Part Search" utility and all the 66111 parts are available. The non 66111 parts are generic and should be available but I didn't check. The prices listed at Messick's are higher than I would have guessed so this costs a pretty American penny. In Canadian dollars the price would probably floor me. I would suggest you by 2 additional springs as these are the only components that could break. My springs haven't broken in 15 years. Good luck!

Funkydaddy59 -- thanks again!

/ "Floating" deck guide wheels -- anyone make theirs bigger, or swivel? #10  
Just a brief word of warning. This kit only fits on RC54-G20 and RC60-G20 mower decks. If you have the grass catcher for either of of these decks you also need kit Code No. 76770-70002 which has 3 different components than I listed previously. If you need the component Code Nos. just let me know and can list them.