Chains Ratchet straps or chains?

/ Ratchet straps or chains? #21  
Going to pick up my B2920 out of state tomorrow my buddy thinks it that its illegal to use 3" heavy duty straps and that I must use chains? I do not want to scratch my new machine. Has anybody heard this before? Thanks

This is probably too late, but for next time...

Get ahold of you local State Trooper Commercial division. Ask them what is required, not your buddy. What is legal in my area may not be legal in your state, and visa versa. A few years back, when the answer was not clear based on discussions here, I went directly to the local Calif "CHP" office for the answer. They described by phone, and emailed the text from the California motor code to me.

Calif does not seem to be as concerned about the restraint you use, ie ratchet strap or chain/binder. They want it to be rated strong enough, and to be tied off at all four corners of the "vehicle". They also want a chain/strap over the loader.

Look over in the "trailers and transportation" portion of this forum. All this has been discussed in depth numerous times over the years.

Not knocking your buddy; it is just best to get the exact regulations for you state, right from the folks who have to enforce those regs.

/ Ratchet straps or chains? #22  
I've had straps fail on me on gravelys. Vibration wore them through in places I didn't expect. Way oversized for the load, that wasn't the issue. And overstrapped, so there was no problem.

But no way I'd use straps on a tractor. I see no reason why the failures I, and others above, couldn't happen there too. And that's much more of a big deal than a little gravely.

If you are worried about scratches, put pads under the chain. Trust me though, any use will develop scratches in pretty short order...

/ Ratchet straps or chains? #23  
I have used both chains and straps and yes on a small load like the b yes properly rated straps like the one talked about 2" or 3" 10,000 straps...

Not to pick on this poster, but this is the most common mistake when using straps. Those 2" straps that say 10,000 all over them most likely have a WLL of 3300 pounds. That's the absolute maximum working load limit in perfect conditions. Most everyone thinks they have 10,000 pound strength straps with those cheapo 2" straps when that flat out isn't the case. That's about the equivalent of using 1/4" grade 70 chains (which is extremely small chain).

/ Ratchet straps or chains? #24  
I have used straps and chains both, and totally agree with the posts promoting chains.

Towing a "light" BX2230 on my trailer with straps, if they even TOUCH something even RESEMBLING an edge, they'll wear through in a heartbeat. In my three hour tow, 2 of my straps were completely cut and the remaining two were heavily chafed.

I now tow exclusively with 3/8" G70 chain with a combination of ratchet and over-center binders. The only marks on my tractor are at the 4 frame points where I connect the chains. A small price to pay for safety.

Absolutely, completely, without a doubt G70 chains. Don't use straps.

/ Ratchet straps or chains? #25  
Not to pick on this poster, but this is the most common mistake when using straps. Those 2" straps that say 10,000 all over them most likely have a WLL of 3300 pounds. That's the absolute maximum working load limit in perfect conditions. Most everyone thinks they have 10,000 pound strength straps with those cheapo 2" straps when that flat out isn't the case. That's about the equivalent of using 1/4" grade 70 chains (which is extremely small chain).

You are correct that most 2" straps are 3300 wwl. The proper way to use them is they should hook to something with the hook not be wrapped around anything. Or use something bigger like chain. We have 4" straps that hook to the rub rail that are 5000 wwl that work very well for holding equipment like buckets and box blades.

The problem with straps is the most people run the strap threw the 3pt or something and back down for a total of 2 straps on the load. I agree that chains are better, but if you use 4 proper size straps for a small tractor or big lawn mower you will be fine. Most scut and compacts weigh under 4k which is at the limit but in still in the limit. No differant than 4 straps on a buick on a roll back.

/ Ratchet straps or chains? #26  
If you are worried about scratches, put pads under the chain. Trust me though, any use will develop scratches in pretty short order...

Ask you local fire station if they have any old hose. A few small sections of 1-1/2" hose over the chain in the right spot works great.

/ Ratchet straps or chains? #27  

Another thing about straps. Even if you're very, very, very, careful, about not running them over sharp edges, not stepping on them and grinding in dirt, not letting them get abraded, they are still subject to degradation from the UV in sunlight.

/ Ratchet straps or chains? #28  
Which all goes to show, straps can work if everything goes perfectly, but I haven't found things always do - I prefer a bit of margin for error/chafe/uv/etc...

/ Ratchet straps or chains? #29  
It sounds like I'll put straps on the front right corner and back left corner, and then use chains on the front left corner and the back right corner. :rolleyes:

/ Ratchet straps or chains? #30  
If chains are better.....why don't they use them on boats?