Chains Ratchet straps or chains?

/ Ratchet straps or chains? #41  
I'm pretty sure he was referring to the use of straps to hold the boat to the trailer (transom straps).
Oh yea. Those.

Well that makes a lot more sense.

Funny thing is that I had an emergency maneuver with my boat once...heavy on the brakes and performed emergency lane change. Only surge brakes. Boat tied down on the bow (winch with new strap) and on the back with rather pitiful straps with rusty over-center tensioners.

Boat didn't move an inch.

This is a bit of apples/oranges though. The sole purpose those straps serve is to keep the back of the boat somewhere near the trailer. They are NOT to keep the trailer on the boat, if that makes sense. The boat weighed about 5,000# wet and the trailer weighed MAYBE 500#. The boat was on skids, not rollers, so the weight of the boat itself and the friction generated on the bottom held the boat firmly in place. It is very abnormal to tie a boat onto a trailer controlling fore/aft movement, other than the winch connection at the bow.

All this isn't quite the same as a tractor with wheels. Appreciate the correction, though.

Last edited:
   / Ratchet straps or chains? #42  
FWIW I still use the original transom securing chain assemblies when I trailer my 1966 Kennedy Mustang (boat). It's a pretty slick setup but could never be adapted to my Whaler since the trailer will not accommodate it.

/ Ratchet straps or chains? #43  
Many of the tractor trailer rigs I see on the Interstate are now using straps where they all use to use chains exclusively. Where I bought my tractor, they sell and recommend straps. I rarely haul mine anywhere, but when I do, I use straps, when I haul a big tractor or truck, I always use chains and binders though.

/ Ratchet straps or chains? #44  
Which is better- a ratchet strap rated at 3500 lbs or a chain rated at 3500 lbs?
In my opinion, they both are.
It depends on what they are used for and how they are used based on load specs and the work that needs done. Straps work well for me. Chains work well too. They each have their purpose. One is not just "better" than another.

If a strap breaks because of improper use, don't blame the strap!
Any edge will cut through a strap with a load on it.
Best to go hook to hook without the strap contacting any edge.
IMO, strap failures are caused by the wrong application, not because they are nylon.
2.5" nylon ratchet straps have been used without problem when trailering my BX2200 .

Read the specs when buying either straps or chain.
Sincerely,
JBX

/ Ratchet straps or chains? #45  
My machine is in tow every week so i installed brackets to chain through.

Attachments

• 009_16.JPG
    009_16.JPG
    235 KB · Views: 257
   / Ratchet straps or chains? #46  

That looks like a really good idea, I am going to look for someplace on mine to do the same.

/ Ratchet straps or chains? #47  

Yeah, that looks good, nice and high, better than the draw bar where I see alot connected to. with it higher up your really pulling the machine down when binding, not just sideways.

Mine is similar.

JB.

Attachments

• DSCN3439.JPG
    DSCN3439.JPG
    883.5 KB · Views: 217
   / Ratchet straps or chains? #48  
Front brackets.

Attachments

• Fr brackets.jpg
    Fr brackets.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 161