Chains Ratchet straps or chains?

/ Ratchet straps or chains? #1  

iplumb

Gold Member
Tractor
B2920
Going to pick up my B2920 out of state tomorrow my buddy thinks it that its illegal to use 3" heavy duty straps and that I must use chains? I do not want to scratch my new machine. Has anybody heard this before? Thanks

/ Ratchet straps or chains? #2  
I think chains, and a specific grade here in Washington.

/ Ratchet straps or chains? #3  
Going to pick up my B2920 out of state tomorrow my buddy thinks it that its illegal to use 3" heavy duty straps and that I must use chains? I do not want to scratch my new machine. Has anybody heard this before? Thanks
YEAH;
There are post plastered all over TBN about it.
Do a search.

/ Ratchet straps or chains? #4  
I believe the laws vary by state, and what I hear most often is that chains in the back of the load are a minimum requirement, but hopefully you can find the official answer somewhere on your state's website.

But, wait, you don't want to scratch your tractor? What is this, a trailer queen? ;)

/ Ratchet straps or chains?
But, wait, you don't want to scratch your tractor? What is this, a trailer queen? :pIts going to be the day I pick it up!:confused:

/ Ratchet straps or chains? #6  
Let me quote what i heard on TBN here. "a cargo that weighs less then 10,000lbs that is secured in front and secured in rear" . This says they dont care if it straps or chains and this is coming from a law enforcement officer.
Now as I understand it today, DOT wants you to have your cargo secured on all four corners and each implement have thier own tiedown (ie backhoe, FEL, bushhog, etc) I prefer to use grade 70 chains and binders on anything over 1k lbs. If you dont have grade 70, I say grade 50 would do in a pinch along with straps if you have nothing else. Its better then just straps with over 4k lbs machine!

/ Ratchet straps or chains? #7  
Not sure about the legal part but I use chains to put my conscience at ease.

/ Ratchet straps or chains? #8  
Here we go again..:D

Unless you are commercial, or you load is rolling around you'll be fine with straps....

/ Ratchet straps or chains? #9  
It is a good point that is raised that in spite of what might be legal, there is the peace of mind aspect that'd come with using chains. There'd be nothing worse than having your head trapped between an airbag and a front end loader that came up through your truck.

/ Ratchet straps or chains? #10  
Chains are no better than properly rated straps