bx24 forward pedal stuck?

/ bx24 forward pedal stuck? #1  

ericecon

I just came home with some diesel as the bx24 was thirsty.

I hopped on after it's feeding and it was fine. Unfortunately after a 6 point turn I pressed the forward pedal and it barely went down and I was going sooooo slow even though throttle set near maximum. I used the reverse pedal and it was okay so then tried forward and it was okay.

Then it happened again, and again, and I just hopped off to ask this question.

What could be causing the front pedal not to descend when I push on it?

Also, I notice that the rubber boot (?) over the bearings on a front axle is torn. Is this a big deal? I am able to see that the bearing are not sealed, hence the rubber boot. It's not the wheel bearing but I think the brass link that attaches the wheel to the front axle.

Help please.

/ bx24 forward pedal stuck? #2  
Have you greased the pedal recently? It definitely needs grease pretty often, has been my finding. Every 10 hours is recommended, IIRC, and while I can't say I'm that strict about greasing, I try to grease everything at least every 20 hours.

/ bx24 forward pedal stuck? #3  
I've notice sometimes on mine that the peddles sometimes rubs against the parking brake. I guess just pressing down all the time might bend the throttle a little.

/ bx24 forward pedal stuck? #4  
I had a similar problem. Look very closely in the "well" of the pedal. I had a nut in there that would roll back and forth and depending on when it got caught I would be limited to backing up. Also as I was trying to sort it out I noticed that the ball socket linkage was loose. That is only visible from underneath almost directy under the pedal It appeared that it could have also contributed to the problem.

Take Care
Doug in SW IA

/ bx24 forward pedal stuck? #5  
have you greased your pedal zerk yet ? if you can see the grease coming out the joints, then you know its greased. If it still doing it, then you may have a damper problem. It looks like a shock absorber underneath the carraige. You will need to remove the MMM to work on it. What I would do is remove one end of the dampener and then work the pedal back and forth to see if it still binding up. if not , then get the dampener replaced. If it still binding up, my guess would be a stick or something jamming the linkage somewhere.

/ bx24 forward pedal stuck?
Thanks guys. I greased the zerk and moved the pedals a dozen times or so to work it in. It seems fine now. I usually am more on top of greasing that but must have forgotten. I'll take a look at the damper and see if any loose bolts are there next time the mower comes off.

Anyone have a tip for my other question below?

Also, I notice that the rubber boot (?) over the bearings on a front axle is torn. Is this a big deal? I am able to see that the bearing are not sealed, hence the rubber boot. It's not the wheel bearing but I think the brass link that attaches the wheel to the front axle.

/ bx24 forward pedal stuck? #7  
there has been posts of boots being torn like yours. one person took a old bike tube and zip tie to keep dirt out as a quick fix. I beleive that anything with rubber boots should be be in good condition or be repaired somehow. I mean hey , why is the rubber boot there in the first place?