Clamp-on bucket forks on a Bx --- Worthwhile?

/ Clamp-on bucket forks on a Bx --- Worthwhile? #1  

pintodeluxe

Silver Member
Tractor
Bx2230
I was wondering if anyone has experience with Rankin, or other brand clamp on bucket forks. How much can the Bx lift on a pallet using forks?
Has anyone bent their bucket with clamp-on pallet forks?

link to the type of forks I am referring to:

Rankin Equipment Co.

Keywords: kubota Bx1500 Bx1800 Bx1830 Bx1850 Bx1860 Bx22 Bx2200 Bx2230 Bx2250 Bx 2260 Bx23 Bx24 Bx25 Bx2660

/ Clamp-on bucket forks on a Bx --- Worthwhile? #2  
The forks you are asking about are way to heavy duty for a BX. The forks alone weigh 90 lbs., and are rated to lift 1000 lbs. You didn't say what model BX you have, but I think you would be lucky to lift 200 to 300 lbs on a pallet.

What are you trying to do with the pallet? If you just want to move a pallet from point a to point b you might think about 3 point forks. The BX 3 point is rated to lift almost 700 lbs.

If you really want to use the loader for moving pallets then check out these, Pallet and Brush Forks, they are made for the BX and only weigh 45 lbs.

Gary T.

/ Clamp-on bucket forks on a Bx --- Worthwhile? #3  
I have a pair of BXpanded forks that I primarily use to bring palletized firewood to the house. I don't know how much pallet weight my BX will lift, but it's less than I had hoped. There are two reasons, physics and pallet size. Lift diminishes the farther forward the load is from the bucket pivot pin...and with pallet forks, that can be quite far. I am trying different size pallets, and will also adjust the relief valve setting to max spec.

BXpanded forks have a unique clamp design that doesn't bend the bucket.

/ Clamp-on bucket forks on a Bx --- Worthwhile?
The forks you are asking about are way to heavy duty for a BX. The forks alone weigh 90 lbs., and are rated to lift 1000 lbs. You didn't say what model BX you have, but I think you would be lucky to lift 200 to 300 lbs on a pallet.

What are you trying to do with the pallet? If you just want to move a pallet from point a to point b you might think about 3 point forks. The BX 3 point is rated to lift almost 700 lbs.

If you really want to use the loader for moving pallets then check out these, Pallet and Brush Forks, they are made for the BX and only weigh 45 lbs.

Gary T.

I really don't need to move much weight. A couple hundred pounds for moving around my implements etc. I don't want three point forks, because that would mean removing the bagger on my Bx2230 to use the forks. I love the idea of clamp on or quick attach bucket forks for occasional use. My loader will lift 700-800# in the bucket, so I would guess it would have a 200-300# capacity on the forks. I had looked at the Bxpanded forks initially, and thought the fork construction looked a little flimsy. Maybe it was just because the forks pivot, and it is actually stronger than it looks. I do like how they attach to the top of the bucket. The bucket steel is rolled here, and it's a stronger attachment point - less likely to damage the bucket. Bxpanded also makes the point that their forks won't pivot sideways like clamp-on forks can. The price of $300 seems reasonable.
Thanks for the tip,
Willie

I have a pair of BXpanded forks that I primarily use to bring palletized firewood to the house. I don't know how much pallet weight my BX will lift, but it's less than I had hoped. There are two reasons, physics and pallet size. Lift diminishes the farther forward the load is from the bucket pivot pin...and with pallet forks, that can be quite far. I am trying different size pallets, and will also adjust the relief valve setting to max spec.

BXpanded forks have a unique clamp design that doesn't bend the bucket.

Yeah, I bet adding washers to the relief valve will help give a little more grunt. MMM and a rear implement should keep it from getting too light in the rear.
Thanks for the info,
-Willie

/ Clamp-on bucket forks on a Bx --- Worthwhile? #6  
I saw on a different forum someone who built his own pallet forks that replace the bucket, If I can find the pictures I saved I will post them up.

Clamp ons put the load so far out from the lift pins that the BX with out any real counter weight gets tippy. I moved a load of scrap fire wood on a pallet chained to the front bucket with the backhoe on and it still felt a bit of puker factor coming across my field. You really might want to consider 3pt attachment or at least trying to move the load closer to the FEL lift pins.

/ Clamp-on bucket forks on a Bx --- Worthwhile? #7  
I made my own forks for my BX 2200 and use them mostly to carry the MMM at about 265 lbs. A couple of years ago I built a garage and temperarily modified the forks with a spacer and top plate. I used them to lift 2 sheets of OSB at a time long ways to within reach of the garage roof. Then I removed the top plates and built an 8' long pallet with which I could put 2 bundles of shingles on the end and reach the roof.

/ Clamp-on bucket forks on a Bx --- Worthwhile? #8  
I have used 2by4s 4 ft long to use as forks. It works as light duty moving like brush or couple peices of plywood or few bundles of shingles on forks for higer reach to roof. I ended up making metal forks from old sign posts clamped together with bolts and was able to move my tiller and BH with it.

/ Clamp-on bucket forks on a Bx --- Worthwhile? #9  
what about the brotek brush / pallet forks?

I saw on a different forum someone who built his own pallet forks that replace the bucket, If I can find the pictures I saved I will post them up.

Clamp ons put the load so far out from the lift pins that the BX with out any real counter weight gets tippy. I moved a load of scrap fire wood on a pallet chained to the front bucket with the backhoe on and it still felt a bit of puker factor coming across my field. You really might want to consider 3pt attachment or at least trying to move the load closer to the FEL lift pins.

Yeah, that is the limitation with bucket forks. I am surprised that you felt light with a backhoe on. That's the best counterweight available for the Bx. I guess I like the quick attach design of bucket forks. I wouldn't use them very often, and my land is all level. If the forks that replace the bucket are easy to install, I would consider that too.
Thanks for the input.