Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 27
  1. #1
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    115
    Tractor
    Bx2230

    Default Clamp-on bucket forks on a Bx --- Worthwhile?

    I was wondering if anyone has experience with Rankin, or other brand clamp on bucket forks. How much can the Bx lift on a pallet using forks?
    Has anyone bent their bucket with clamp-on pallet forks?

    link to the type of forks I am referring to:

    Rankin Equipment Co.







    Keywords: kubota Bx1500 Bx1800 Bx1830 Bx1850 Bx1860 Bx22 Bx2200 Bx2230 Bx2250 Bx 2260 Bx23 Bx24 Bx25 Bx2660

  2. #2
    Member Gary T.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    48
    Location
    Grass Valley, CA
    Tractor
    05 Kubota L3130 HST, 09 Kubota BX1860, 07 Kubota RTV900

    Default Re: Clamp-on bucket forks on a Bx --- Worthwhile?

    The forks you are asking about are way to heavy duty for a BX. The forks alone weigh 90 lbs., and are rated to lift 1000 lbs. You didn't say what model BX you have, but I think you would be lucky to lift 200 to 300 lbs on a pallet.

    What are you trying to do with the pallet? If you just want to move a pallet from point a to point b you might think about 3 point forks. The BX 3 point is rated to lift almost 700 lbs.

    If you really want to use the loader for moving pallets then check out these, Pallet and Brush Forks, they are made for the BX and only weigh 45 lbs.


    Gary T.
    05 Kubota L3130 HST w/R4's, Top and Tilt, LA723 w/QA Bucket, BH90 ((Sold)
    07 Kubota RTV900 w/Hyd. Dump, Windshield, and Metal Roof
    09 Kubota BX1860 w/AGs, LA203, 48" MMM, Gearmore 48" Box Scraper, Gearmore Middle Buster
    10 Kubota L45 QA 4 in 1 Bucket, Hydro Thumb, Top and Tilt, Gannon Forks, Gannon 4x2 72" Box Scraper w/Hyd. Rippers, Rhino PHD

  3. #3
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    435
    Location
    MD and FL
    Tractor
    Kubota BX24

    Default Re: Clamp-on bucket forks on a Bx --- Worthwhile?

    I have a pair of BXpanded forks that I primarily use to bring palletized firewood to the house. I don't know how much pallet weight my BX will lift, but it's less than I had hoped. There are two reasons, physics and pallet size. Lift diminishes the farther forward the load is from the bucket pivot pin...and with pallet forks, that can be quite far. I am trying different size pallets, and will also adjust the relief valve setting to max spec.

    BXpanded forks have a unique clamp design that doesn't bend the bucket.
    John

    BX24-loaded R4s/60" MMM/rear bagger/arm rests, Woods RCC42, 3PT Splitter, TuffTop, Bro-Tek skidplates/thumb/ripper, BXpanded forks/bag, American Solutions grapple, Berlon mini-toothbar, home-made ROPS lights...more to come...

  4. #4
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    115
    Tractor
    Bx2230

    Default Re: Clamp-on bucket forks on a Bx --- Worthwhile?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary T. View Post
    The forks you are asking about are way to heavy duty for a BX. The forks alone weigh 90 lbs., and are rated to lift 1000 lbs. You didn't say what model BX you have, but I think you would be lucky to lift 200 to 300 lbs on a pallet.

    What are you trying to do with the pallet? If you just want to move a pallet from point a to point b you might think about 3 point forks. The BX 3 point is rated to lift almost 700 lbs.

    If you really want to use the loader for moving pallets then check out these, Pallet and Brush Forks, they are made for the BX and only weigh 45 lbs.


    Gary T.

    I really don't need to move much weight. A couple hundred pounds for moving around my implements etc. I don't want three point forks, because that would mean removing the bagger on my Bx2230 to use the forks. I love the idea of clamp on or quick attach bucket forks for occasional use. My loader will lift 700-800# in the bucket, so I would guess it would have a 200-300# capacity on the forks. I had looked at the Bxpanded forks initially, and thought the fork construction looked a little flimsy. Maybe it was just because the forks pivot, and it is actually stronger than it looks. I do like how they attach to the top of the bucket. The bucket steel is rolled here, and it's a stronger attachment point - less likely to damage the bucket. Bxpanded also makes the point that their forks won't pivot sideways like clamp-on forks can. The price of $300 seems reasonable.
    Thanks for the tip,
    Willie

  5. #5
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    115
    Tractor
    Bx2230

    Default Re: Clamp-on bucket forks on a Bx --- Worthwhile?

    Quote Originally Posted by BotaBigot View Post
    I have a pair of BXpanded forks that I primarily use to bring palletized firewood to the house. I don't know how much pallet weight my BX will lift, but it's less than I had hoped. There are two reasons, physics and pallet size. Lift diminishes the farther forward the load is from the bucket pivot pin...and with pallet forks, that can be quite far. I am trying different size pallets, and will also adjust the relief valve setting to max spec.

    BXpanded forks have a unique clamp design that doesn't bend the bucket.

    Yeah, I bet adding washers to the relief valve will help give a little more grunt. MMM and a rear implement should keep it from getting too light in the rear.
    Thanks for the info,
    -Willie

  6. #6
    Gold Member Just2quickz28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    320
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Tractor
    Kubota BX 24

    Default Re: Clamp-on bucket forks on a Bx --- Worthwhile?

    I saw on a different forum someone who built his own pallet forks that replace the bucket, If I can find the pictures I saved I will post them up.

    Clamp ons put the load so far out from the lift pins that the BX with out any real counter weight gets tippy. I moved a load of scrap fire wood on a pallet chained to the front bucket with the backhoe on and it still felt a bit of puker factor coming across my field. You really might want to consider 3pt attachment or at least trying to move the load closer to the FEL lift pins.
    Matt

    BX 24
    LA240 FEL, BT601 Backhoe, 54'' MMM, Patu DC 40 Chipper, 5ft LandScape Rake, FEL Snow Plow, ATI FEL Quick Attach, TracVac with QA mower boot, WorkSaver Post Hole Digger, 50$ 4ft Grader Blade

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    46
    Location
    West Virginia
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

    Default Re: Clamp-on bucket forks on a Bx --- Worthwhile?

    I made my own forks for my BX 2200 and use them mostly to carry the MMM at about 265 lbs. A couple of years ago I built a garage and temperarily modified the forks with a spacer and top plate. I used them to lift 2 sheets of OSB at a time long ways to within reach of the garage roof. Then I removed the top plates and built an 8' long pallet with which I could put 2 bundles of shingles on the end and reach the roof.

  8. #8
    Super Member radioman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5,676
    Location
    Ontario, NY
    Tractor
    Kubota BX24

    Default Re: Clamp-on bucket forks on a Bx --- Worthwhile?

    I have used 2by4s 4 ft long to use as forks. It works as light duty moving like brush or couple peices of plywood or few bundles of shingles on forks for higer reach to roof. I ended up making metal forks from old sign posts clamped together with bolts and was able to move my tiller and BH with it.

  9. #9
    Gold Member Just2quickz28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    320
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Tractor
    Kubota BX 24

    Default Re: Clamp-on bucket forks on a Bx --- Worthwhile?

    what about the brotek brush / pallet forks?
    Matt

    BX 24
    LA240 FEL, BT601 Backhoe, 54'' MMM, Patu DC 40 Chipper, 5ft LandScape Rake, FEL Snow Plow, ATI FEL Quick Attach, TracVac with QA mower boot, WorkSaver Post Hole Digger, 50$ 4ft Grader Blade

  10. #10
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    115
    Tractor
    Bx2230

    Default Re: Clamp-on bucket forks on a Bx --- Worthwhile?

    Quote Originally Posted by Just2quickz28 View Post
    I saw on a different forum someone who built his own pallet forks that replace the bucket, If I can find the pictures I saved I will post them up.

    Clamp ons put the load so far out from the lift pins that the BX with out any real counter weight gets tippy. I moved a load of scrap fire wood on a pallet chained to the front bucket with the backhoe on and it still felt a bit of puker factor coming across my field. You really might want to consider 3pt attachment or at least trying to move the load closer to the FEL lift pins.

    Yeah, that is the limitation with bucket forks. I am surprised that you felt light with a backhoe on. That's the best counterweight available for the Bx. I guess I like the quick attach design of bucket forks. I wouldn't use them very often, and my land is all level. If the forks that replace the bucket are easy to install, I would consider that too.
    Thanks for the input.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2014 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.