Turfs on front, Insdustrials on rear?????

/ Turfs on front, Insdustrials on rear????? #1  

phyxer

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620
I am considering purchasing a pair of Turf tires on rims for the front on my B2620 for yard mowing when I finish getting it planted. I know about NOT engaging the MFWD with different tires so please don't scold me for that. I will not be needing MFWD while mowing my 1 acre yard. IF I promise not to engage the MFWD, do any of you see a problem with using my tractor for mowing this way? If I need to put the loader back on or box blade then I'll simply use the loader to lift the front end up and put the industrials back on the front so I can also engage the MFWD. Looking forward to your thoughts and suggestions. Oh, and it's all just an attempt to save a few hundred dollars. Thanks in advance for your expert opinions :p

Troy

/ Turfs on front, Insdustrials on rear????? #2  
Did you consider the bar/turf combo tires before you made your purchase? There are 4 sets of tires available for the B2X20 tractors: Ag (R1), Ind (R4), Turf (R3), and Bar/Turf (R?).

/ Turfs on front, Insdustrials on rear????? #3  
As long as it is in 2WD it won't matter. May look funny, but won't hurt anything.

I changed from turf to r4 on my Kubota. Could only afford the back ties first(turfs were wether cracked and leaking). Looked funny with turf on the front, R4 on the back. Worked in 2wd. The turfs were a wee bit taller than the R4's though. I used 4wd a few times; did a job on the front u-joint on my front driveline.

/ Turfs on front, Insdustrials on rear?????
Did you consider the bar/turf combo tires before you made your purchase? There are 4 sets of tires available for the B2X20 tractors: Ag (R1), Ind (R4), Turf (R3), and Bar/Turf (R?).
Ummmmmmm, nope! Didn't know they existed at the time. Probably would still have gone with the industrials to start out with. Soooooooo, back to my question please :p

Troy

/ Turfs on front, Insdustrials on rear????? #5  
It'll work fine... you may even find the rolling circumference may be a close match so you could leave them on for loader work. Turfs have great traction... KennyV

/ Turfs on front, Insdustrials on rear????? #6  
You can tear up grass as easily with turfs as with R4s.
It isn't about tread pattern, it IS about sharp turns on wet/soft grass.
Try it, it isn't even about 4WD - unless you turn too sharply on wet/soft turf.

/ Turfs on front, Insdustrials on rear?????

Thank you, I do realize this. However, I also do realize that the turfs will be more forgiving than the industrials. Doesn't look like anyone feels there will be a problem as long as I don't engage the MFWD while having the two different style tires installed. That's good to know. I'm sure I will eventually get the rear turfs as well, but this will allow me to do it as my budget allows :p

Troy

/ Turfs on front, Insdustrials on rear????? #8  
In 2wd, I really don't forsee any problems. yes the rolling circumferance is different but the fronts is not doing any work except being pushed to roll. The way I see it, its the same issue with the cheap donut tires that is enough to get you home on the car. My thinking is that with the same balanced height in the front and rear, it should be fine.

For the saftey police out there : If you ever engage in mfwd without changing the tires, I only can hope you are on grass, need to move 2-4 ft when stuck in straight line just to get out.:rolleyes: There I said it. Whew! :cool:

/ Turfs on front, Insdustrials on rear????? #9  
Where's the problem? Turfs and R4s for the B2620 are both 23x8.5-12s.

There's no way the gearing makes up for the exact difference in tire diameters anyway, even with two of the same types of tires. You'll always have one axle dragging or being pushed at some level with front-assist engaged. Two different types of the same size would be as close as anything. Heck, the turfs would probably slip better and bind less.

Way too much paranoia. Run the turfs, save the lawn, enjoy your tractor.

And use your front drive whenever you need it.

/ Turfs on front, Insdustrials on rear????? #10  

This not entirely true. There is a huge difference between turfs and other tires. In my case turfs vs. 3 rib. The flat turfs did little or no damage to my yard on a tight quick turn. The 3 ribs wil tear it up every turn and I had to change the way I mowed.

On the other hand not having a 4wd, the 3 ribs are much easier to turn than the flat turfs. It felt like I got power steering after putting them on.

Rob

Attachments

• 101_0211.JPG
    101_0211.JPG
    329.2 KB · Views: 179