BX Deck Warning

/ BX Deck Warning #1  

Czbilly

Tractor
Kubota BX 1850
Yesterday while mowing with my BX 1850 and 54" MMM I was very unhappy to find out that 2 of the 4 bolts connecting the hub to the spindle on the left side had come completely loose and working themselves entirely out of the hub. After the sparks, smoke and stench of burning grease had subsided I pulled the plastic cover off to discover the entire mess. 2 bolts completely out, the other 2 barely hanging on and the entire hub pulled toward the center under the tension of the belt. I managed to find some bolts and tighten up the hub. I proceed to check the other side to find all 4 bolts are on thier way out and able to tighten with my fingers. Long story short all bolts are now tight and I have a substantial vibration and noise coming from the deck as well as a lingering smell of burning grease. I have had this unit one year and will be making a stop at the dealer tomorrow to find out if this is how Kubotas are supposed to come from the factory or if this was a prep oversight. Either way I'm screwed now because I could literally mow every other day and I'm leary of running this again to avoid scrapping a larger portion of the deck.

So all of you who have these decks really should bust out a 13 mm socket and wrench and check to make sure these are tight. I assure you that you will not like the result if they decide to come loose. I guess I am really disappointed at the design of this system. There is only a small bolt, a nut, and a common lockwasher to keep a high speed rotating assembly from grenading and causing what I am sure would be one **** of an expensive repair.
Aron

/ BX Deck Warning #2  
The mess didn't take a chunk or two out of the belt, or burn flat spots in the belt did it? That could cause severe vibration.

I never had anything come loose or break on my deck (60" mmm which I think is similar to yours) in three years of use cutting 2 acres. Most stuff is so tight from the factory on the deck and tractor that I'm afraid sometimes of breaking something if I have to get it off. I will check the bolts on mine though just in case as the deck does take a pounding sometimes.

I know this is after the fact, and it should have been properly done at the factory, but you can check and see if ny-lock nuts or other locking type nuts will work and use them instead of the regular nut and lock washer. You won't have to worry about the nuts loosing up. A little blue or red loc-tite added won't hurt either.

Edit: If I understand which bolts your talking about, then the bolts are in shear when properly tightened and are plenty strong enough for the job they do.

Last edited:
   / BX Deck Warning #3  
Edit: If I understand which bolts your talking about, then the bolts are in shear when properly tightened and are plenty strong enough for the job they do.

Au contraire mon frere. Well-designed connections do not put bolts in shear. Bolts are in tension, shear is transmitted by journals or friction on faying surfaces.

/ BX Deck Warning #4  
Friend with BX25 had this happen last week same thing same side 60 inch deck though, he replaced bolts once and did it again taking pully with it second time.......Kubota we have a problem, glad I have the old style decks on BX2230 and G2160.

David Kb7uns

/ BX Deck Warning #5  
rdsaustintx I stand corrected. If the connection bolts are torqued properly then the mating surfaces if properly designed take the load, not placing the bolts in shear.

/ BX Deck Warning #6  
Normal dealer initial service does not require dealers to check the hubs. What we've found several times that has caused this type of problems are bent blades setting up a vibration casuing the bolts to loosen.

Funny one time while working on one while explaining to a customer the problem which he said he didn't have before his neighbor walked up and said it was that way for over a month since his son hit a lnad marker in the back.

/ BX Deck Warning
I spoke with the service mgr today and he said this would be covered under warranty. I just need to get it up to them next week. I can understand if a blade is bent but I would like to know to what extent how bad the blade would have to be. This spring I sharpened the blades and didn't notice anything after balancing and checking for cracks and just overall inspection. Well hopefully someone else can avoid this problem. The bummer is it's an easy check and easy to tighten if you would think to do this before a problem happens.

/ BX Deck Warning #8  
the only problem i've had along these lines was a small rock got wedged into the sheave "v" where the belt runs. this caused quite a vibration until i stopped and prised it out.

did you find any of your lost bolts/washers/nuts? maybe check the groove in each sheave for foreign material.

amp

/ BX Deck Warning #9  
Well hopefully someone else can avoid this problem. The bummer is it's an easy check and easy to tighten if you would think to do this before a problem happens.

Czbilly - Thanks for the post on your issue. I already had planned to remove my deck today after work since I just received my mower axle stands from Larry's Mower Axle. I wanted to see how well they worked and then to service my mower deck again. After reading your post while at work, I checked the same bolts and I had two not as snug as the other six. I don't think I would have had a problem but you never know. Thanks again.

/ BX Deck Warning #10  
Thanks for the advise. Checked mine today before using it and they were all tight.