Backhoe Can a BX2660 Be Fit w/ a Backhoe Later... like the BX25?

/ Can a BX2660 Be Fit w/ a Backhoe Later... like the BX25? #1  

robertm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660
Simple as that. Or is it a major headache?

/ Can a BX2660 Be Fit w/ a Backhoe Later... like the BX25? #2  
I don't think Kubota will sell you the stuff to do it, but there are at least a couple of after market companies that have a kit to add a backhoe. Woods and Koyeker(sp?) are a couple. I believe they also both have subframe kits that sell with the backhoe so you don't break your 3 point hitch. Another thing to consider is you need the hydraulic hookups for a backhoe. I know one of the companies sells a 3 point hydraulic pump to accomplish this or you can tap into the BX's hydraulics to do this. I priced a setup for mine, and it seemed it was around $6000. As I recall when I posted the question several months ago, someone said it wasn't that tough to install the backhoe set up.

/ Can a BX2660 Be Fit w/ a Backhoe Later... like the BX25? #3  
As dodge man said, you can buy them aftermark but it will cost you more than if you buy the BX25 with the backhoe to begin with.

Here's a link to the Woods model, which I went so far as to download and read the installation manuals for. Don't know if they list the BX2660 yet as a match, but I'm sure they will soon enough.

Woods Equipment Company - BH6000 (6')

/ Can a BX2660 Be Fit w/ a Backhoe Later... like the BX25? #4  
robertm, I wish it was that simple. There is no subframe for the BH on the 2660. Only solution is get a woods BH that is compatible with your model to make it pretty much the same as BX25 but with a different name on it.

/ Can a BX2660 Be Fit w/ a Backhoe Later... like the BX25? #5  
IMO You would be much better off to buy the BX25 upfront or if you already have the 2660 to trade it in for a BX25 if you need a backhoe. FWIW I have a BX and you can rent a trackhoe a couple of times a year that will do more than a BX ever could and keep the 6k.

/ Can a BX2660 Be Fit w/ a Backhoe Later... like the BX25? #6  
In the BX series, a two digit number indicates that the tractor comes as a TLB (Tractor + Loader + Backhoe). The tractor cannot be bought without the loader and backhoe. Models in this category are BX22, BX23, BX24, and BX25. The frame on these tractors is built from the start with the ability to take a backhoe.

BX models with a four digit number have a lighter frame and are not designed by Kubota to accept a backhoe. Kubota does not make a backhoe for any of these, which include: BX1500, BX1800, BX1830, BX1850, BX1860, BX2200, BX2230, BX2350, BX2360, BX2660 (I think I got them all). A FEL (front end loader) is an option on these models, a bh (backhoe) is not.

Woods, however, does make a backhoe that will fit these tractors, the Woods BH6000. I have one for my BX2200. There are numerous threads dealing with this backhoe. It has been mounted on almost every one of the tractors listed above. blackmajicwoman has a long thread with numerous pics of the projects he has done with this backhoe on his little BX1500. This backhoe has also been used on subcompact tractors made by New Holland, John Deere, Cub Cadet, and others. The use of this backhoe requires the installation of a reinforcing subframe which bolts to the full length of the main frame on both sides of the tractor. Every specific model requires a unique sub-frame.

The BX2660 has now been out for awhile. I am not aware of any posts made on TBN by someone who has put a BH6000 on a BX2660, but I cannot imagine that Woods would not have the correct sub-frame available to put this backhoe on this tractor.

The cost difference between a BX25 and a BX2660 is probably around $3500 (with the BX25 being the higher priced tractor). The price of adding a BH6000 to any SCUT (sub-compact tractor) is in the neighborhood of $6000. In other words, buying the BX25 new will save you $2500 over buying the BX2660 and BH6000 separately. The reason for the difference is that adding the Woods backhoe requires disassembling much of the tractor to get the subframe on and torqued correctly, rewiring, replumbing the hydraulics, replacing the seat bottom with a swivel/tilt-back mechanism, etc. and labor.

If you have not purchased yet, and want a bh, you should go for the BX25. If you already have a brand new BX2660, trading for a BX25 will be a wash; most dealers are not going to take the tractor back for what you paid. If you have a BX2660 that you already have put some hours on, it will be cheaper to just buy the BH6000 and put it on, as your tractor is too depreciated and you will loose money on a trade-in. If you have already put on so many hours that the warranty is expired and you wouldn't mind paying for a new tractor with new warranty, however, you might then find the trade-in costs worth it.

The above poster is correct about renting if you only have a little bh work to do. Both the Kubota and Woods backhoes on any BX will do far more work than a man with a shovel, but not nearly as much, however, as a big tractor or excavator. A BX with a bh also has great difficulty digging in true hardpans (duripan, ironpan, caliche). Such pan must have been covered with water for weeks for a very slight degree of moisture to have penetrated. At that point, the BX with bh can slowly dig into the pan. When a true hardpan (clay packed by big dozers becomes fragipan and is not as hard as a true hardpan) is dry, a BX with bh can just barely scratch into it only with a single ripper tooth as opposed to a bucket. So again, what donn12 says about renting is good advice.

Hope this helps, and the best of luck with your decision.

Last edited:
   / Can a BX2660 Be Fit w/ a Backhoe Later... like the BX25? #7  
I have a B2400 and thought about getting a bh for it also. Then after doing some research decided that if I have to have a backhoe, I would just get a mini-excavator instead. I have found several for around $6-8000, so that is an option instead of spending ~$6000 on a smaller bh for my tractor. It also keeps my hours down, but I would have two machines to service. To me, its a wash.

/ Can a BX2660 Be Fit w/ a Backhoe Later... like the BX25?
Thanks for the replies. I really have no need for a BH... right now. If I had the $3,500 sitting around, I'd probably consider it, but even for that kind of money, I could rent a small excavator much more capable than the BX25, and still have money for other options. I was most interested in if it was possible should I decide I could use one down the road. I'm betting a BH to fit my current B7510 is still around $6,000, so I'm not saving anything by keeping the B in case I want to add a hoe later.

/ Can a BX2660 Be Fit w/ a Backhoe Later... like the BX25? #9  
Dudes, I had the Woods backhoe on a Kubota B2400 worked fine but what a pain in the butt to attach ...
line up this line up that.... Now I have the Woodmax WM-6600 digs down to 7' $4550.00 with the thumb 15" bucket.. It's on and off in 4 minute flat, easy ...works off the 3 point hitch on my new Kubota BX-2660 no sub frame.... Would not use this for every day construction excavation use .
but for one's own property Plenty strong.....