Hydrostat question on operation

/ Hydrostat question on operation #1  

cdcj

I am looking at getting a B3200 or L series 2800 or 3400 with a hydrostat due to severe knee problems with my left knee. A guy down the road from me has a 3400 with the regular transmission. He says that you can shift from reverse to low with applying half the clutch and brake and it is easy to change directions. For you guys that have a regular transmission, how would it be on a guy after 3-4 hours with no cartilage that is facing a knee replacemnt in the next year? Basically, is it a lot of work on clutch if you were doing something that requires a lot of changing from forward to reverse? I can demo one around the lot but have no idea how it would effect me after a days use.

Also if I were to have a problem years down the road with the hydrostat, how much more expensive would it be to fix or replace than the standard transmission? Pump vs. clutch etc? I can have it worked on for $45 an hour.

/ Hydrostat question on operation #2  
Get the hydrostatic tranny and never look back...

/ Hydrostat question on operation #3  
I am a former standard transmission guy that is now a HST guy. After using a HST on the hills and changing directions during FEL work I would not get anything but an HST for the type of Tractor work that I do with my tractor. I brush hog, box blade, FEL and use pallet forks.

/ Hydrostat question on operation #4  
Since it is your left knee that is the problem and that is the side the clutch is on then the obvious answer is to get a HST. If your right leg was the problem one then a standard trans would make sense since the right foot is used for the HST. Don't worry about having an HST problem. They are probably more reliable in the long run than a clutch would be on a loader tractor. Only downside I can see to a HST would be if you are going to use the tractor a lot for field work pulling a plow or other heavy tillage tool. Otherwise, for a utility tractor that is used for loader work it is HST, hands down.

I grew up on standard shift tractors doing farm work. I now own a B3030 with 280 hrs that I use for mowing and snow removal as well as taking care of downed trees and such on my place. HST is the only way to go for me. Good luck.

/ Hydrostat question on operation #5  
No brainer, esp. with the knee problem. Unless you are doing nothing but draft work, HST FTW. :D

/ Hydrostat question on operation #6  
Best choice is the HST, well worth the extra money, I like when I brush hog because it lets you speed up and slow down depending on how thick the brush/grass is. With the FEL the HST is great. My tractor has a cruise lever that lets you set the speed so you don't have to keep your foot on the HST pedal I hardly ever use it but it is there and works..

/ Hydrostat question on operation #7  
I'll chime in as well, get the HST. You will love the ease of movement and not having to worry about using the clutch to shift and potentially grinding gears.

It may seem like a lot of money in the beginning but in the end you will love it and never give it a second thought.

And you can always try and tell your wife that you need it so she can play too. :D ..... on second thought. :D

/ Hydrostat question on operation #8  
Add one more comment for the HST.
I have one and I drove a gear tractor to demo it...
My left knee has a few scars on it from the Marines and had some issues over the last few years..
With almost 200 hours on my L3400, I can see no way I could have done this with a gear tractor...
also for the loader work, I have run circles around a relative with an older geared Bota... 2550 I think...

J