Final Hour - Who Has Downgraded to a BX From a Larger Tractor?

/ Final Hour - Who Has Downgraded to a BX From a Larger Tractor? #1  

robertm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota BX2660
I'm sorry to beat this subject to a pulp, but I am so close to pulling the trigger on a new BX2660 with the 60"MMM and Loader, that I am getting skittish. Who has done this and truly been satisfied, and I guess, who has done this and been mortified? I see so many of you that have a BX in addition to a larger tractor, and those of you that have substantially more acreage than I do, but maintain it with a BX.

I originally wanted a BX, but when I purchased my first tractor I went with the B7510 instead. I always figured bigger was better and the day we moved to a larger property, I'd be ready. Well, we aren't moving to anything larger, and frankly, I'll never see 5-7 acres like some of you already have that seems to fit well with a BX. That seems a little too much for a BX in my book, but hey, many of you are doing it.

Thanks in advance. Hopefully, I'll be done wasting your time on this subject today, and will either pull the trigger, or not.

/ Final Hour - Who Has Downgraded to a BX From a Larger Tractor? #2  
I have 2 acres BX2350 perfect size does all i want to do Fully landscape and dirt work, ditch digging, unloads heavy items off of trucks,

I grew up on a farm and had bigger tractors for farm work.... they are two diffrent animals

/ Final Hour - Who Has Downgraded to a BX From a Larger Tractor? #3  
I have both a L3130 and a BX2360. I think now it was a mistake when I got the grand L. I sold the 3pt finish mower and 3pt snowblower I used with the large tractor and now use the BX with 60 MMM and 50 snowblower and the loader for almost everything. It works better,faster and with less fuel than the large tractor and large implements did. I know it don't sound logical but it's just working out that way for me. Now my problem is finding something to do with the 3130 becouse it's my favorite driving machine.

/ Final Hour - Who Has Downgraded to a BX From a Larger Tractor? #4  
The tractor that you can use, and want to use most on your property is the right size for you. Part of it is attitude about what you are doing, part of it is personality, and part of it is the capability of the machine you are using. I have owned both a BX22, and now a B2620. I have over three acres of yard, and another ten of rough woods. I needed the clearance, stability, and tougher underbelly of the larger tractor, but I still miss the BX a bit. It was like a go cart without the loader, and backhoe on. If I ever replace my Simplicity garden tractor, I will probalby have another one. Look at the implements you want to run first, then look at where you want to run them, and think about what size you feel most comfortable with. Funny, but though the turning radius, and weight of both my BX22, and B2620 are very similar, I still would feel more comfortable mowing with the BX. It is that kind of thing that brings long term satisfaction with your choice more than what works for someone else. In your case, I suspect that the BX2660 will be used more often, and with more pleasure than what you have now. Just set it up well for the things you are actually doing, or know you will do.

/ Final Hour - Who Has Downgraded to a BX From a Larger Tractor? #5  
I bought a BX2350 last year. I mow about 2 acres and have about 2 acres in woods. It's just the right size for me. In the winter I use the FEL and rear blade alot for plowing, moving dirt, firewood etc. During the summer I mostly use it for mowing. When I stop and think about how small 3-4 acres is, it doesn't seem like I would even have a use for a tractor, but I will have put about 170 hours on mine in the first year. I don't know what your land looks like, but if you mostly do mowing, a ZTR would be quicker. The problem is a ZTR is good for mowing, but not much else. A BX on the other hand makes a pretty decent mower with a 60"mmm, plus you have a FEL and 3 point that makes it pretty usefull for a variety of tasks.

Sorry I can't compare to a larger tractor. I'm sure I could use a B on my property and be happy, but I think at times it would seem to large when mowing.

/ Final Hour - Who Has Downgraded to a BX From a Larger Tractor? #6  
robertm, how big is your current lot ? what is it like? how are you maintaining it now ? Are you willing to take a hit on the trade in price to get a more comfortable tractor? If you haven't had the B for long, did you call your dealer to express your dissatisfaction ? Most likely they want to keep your business. My father has a CUT and I have a BX which is a SCUT. I can't imagine having a larger tractor on my property, way too big for my needs. I use his on his lot since he has over 20 acres and it makes sense. I only have 2 acres so its the right size. Even if I have 1 acre- I'd go with the BX due to small FEL for snow removal and good mowing options.

/ Final Hour - Who Has Downgraded to a BX From a Larger Tractor?
robertm, how big is your current lot ? what is it like? how are you maintaining it now ? Are you willing to take a hit on the trade in price to get a more comfortable tractor? If you haven't had the B for long, did you call your dealer to express your dissatisfaction ? Most likely they want to keep your business. My father has a CUT and I have a BX which is a SCUT. I can't imagine having a larger tractor on my property, way too big for my needs. I use his on his lot since he has over 20 acres and it makes sense. I only have 2 acres so its the right size. Even if I have 1 acre- I'd go with the BX due to small FEL for snow removal and good mowing options.

I have just under 2 acres. It is mostly grass with some bordering pines. I have about 100 foot of gravel drive (second drive for travel trailer storage only - minimum maintenance). I mow the yard with the B7510 60" MMM. The hit is a couple grand, but seeing how I've had the tractor five years, prices have gone up around 20% since then, I feel I've gotten the few grand of use. I just want a better lawn and a machine that is more comfortable for my son when he starts mowing in a couple years. The visibiity on the BX2660 is great with no loader subframe in the way, and just the ease of taking off the mower (which I do frequently) seems great.

I just can't see spending $2k on a dedicated rider to maintain next to my B7510, when the downgraded BX will do it all, provide better mowing results, and cost less in the long run of many years. And, having two units when one is a B7510 just for FEL work will only cause greif at home.

The issue is trading to a very slightly less size tractor, spending the couple grand, and wondering if the BX will really provide better results and stop the damaging of my lawn. I'm sure the BX is more than capable for my needs, but it's like spending money to downgrade to a lesser truck. Do I NEED it? No. I can make due with the B7510, but I think in the long run, the BX will be better. I just have the problem spending the extra cash when I know my B does the job (fair), there is nothing wrong with it, and the extra cash could buy some extra stuff for the B - probably which would be a waste in the long run as all I need is the FEL, MMM, and a rear blade.

The current deal is just as goo, if not better, than what I was quoted last year with less hours on my tractor. I'd finance the couple grand just because of the 0% to keep cash flow going, but all this is making me wonder if I really need to do this.

/ Final Hour - Who Has Downgraded to a BX From a Larger Tractor? #8  
robertm,

I have 6 acres and just got my first tractor, a BX2660 a month ago. My wifes uncle has a larger ford that has come over to "help" me get some stuff done because I did not have a tractor. NOW, because of my BX, I will never have to have the bigger ford come over! My BX, (I love saying/typing that!!!), can do everything I need it to do. One thing that HAS surprised me, is the manuverability of my BX.

/ Final Hour - Who Has Downgraded to a BX From a Larger Tractor? #9  
Who doesn't like to dream about the next step up in anything? Bigger house, car, TV, etc. I've driven a Ford f350 diesel and they had to drag me out of the drivers seat. Need it? Heck no, love to have it? you bet. Some things just are fun whether they make sense or not. I have a BX that when I really am honest with myself is perfect for what I do. Do I still look at the new B's when getting parts? Every darn time! For mowing the BX shines. I had a lawn business with a ZTR and for real lawns the ZTR would run circles around the BX. But I have some "real" lawn and some rougher areas that I mow that the ZTR just couldn't do. So I'm resisting the urge to trade knowing that really is not necessary for me. That's the hard part about buying anything that costs as much as a tractor. Am I getting the right one? Trading up costs a lot more than just buying the one you wanted in the first place. That's the great thing about this site. People for the most part give you some honest opinions that are pretty valuable since they come from actual users. I was set to trade up and talked myself out of it because some posters here made some very good points that made sense. I had tractor fever and some time here was the cure. You'll not regret a BX or a B. I still look forward to getting on it every time!

/ Final Hour - Who Has Downgraded to a BX From a Larger Tractor? #10  
I have a nearly year-old BX2350, upgraded from a 20-year old 20hp Simplicity garden tractor. I decided to try to consolidate around one unit that (with attachments) would provide for most (certainly not all) of my needs.

A smaller unit, in your case, isn't necessarily a lesser unit. Each size is targeted to a range of needs, some of which overlap with the next smaller or larger series. I thought long and hard about the economy of scale, and for my two acres of lawn and 20 acres of woods, knowing that at least 85% of my time would be spent mowing, I went for a BX. I have attachments that allow me to rake, rototill, and throw snow. If/when I need a backhoe, I'll rent a track-hoe for the weekend (much more capable than a BX backhoe).

Whenever I'm at the dealer where I bought my BX my eyes wander to the new, shiny units, the new BX-series, and the Bs. I think about having something else. Then I go home, climb in the seat, and enjoy the purr of the diesel engine, mowing the lawn. Seat time is time to plan for projects I've never otherwise been able to even dream about. I have a culvert to place where a path through the woods crosses a small stream. I think about moving rocks and stones to make that happen. Some day I'll get to everything. Some day.

Doug

BX2350 w/rear hydraulics, fel w/Markham tooth bar, 54" mmm, BushHog 48" tiller, Kodiak 5' landscape rake, Loftness 48" snow thrower.