Tractor
    LS XR4046HC

Default BX2200 losing power

I'm noticing that my 2002 model BX2200 (515 hrs) has been losing power recently when mowing up hill. I always mow in low range, and I've never noticed this until recently. It also seems to be running hotter than it used to also.

Never had any problems with this gem until having to replace the power steering cylinder and a couple of hoses that feed it last week.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? Thanks for any help.

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE

Default Re: BX2200 losing power

Have you checked the basics? Air filter, fuel filter, etc.?
    “History fails to record a single precedent in which nations subject to moral decay have not passed into political and economic decline. There has been either a spiritual awakening to overcome the moral lapse, or a progressive deterioration leading to ultimate national disaster.” Douglas MacArthur
    "The obligation of every human being to God, is higher than his duty to country, and not even a majority in society has the legitimate right to interfere with a man's allegiance to him."James Madison

Tractor
    BX22

Don't forget to check the radiator screens to be sure they are clean. The one in front of the battery, and the one between the radiator and the "firewall". And be sure the radiator itself is clean. And be sure you have enough antifreeze..

Jeff

Bronze Member

AaronS,
    The HST can get a little weaker going up hill while working, I do it all the time. Check and make sure all the tranny fluids are good and at the right level. I had a similar problem once while going up a steep hill with a full FEL and found when I put the BB up I left the control out of the neutral posistion and it must have been bleeding off some of the fluid and you could really tell it. When I saw that and corrected it it powered back up as usual. Also it could be that it is sucking air somewhere so check for that too. Let us know what you find out.
    Good luck-TPS

Tractor
    LS XR4046HC

Thanks everyone for your input. I checked the radiator screens and they did need cleaned. Afterward it is running cooler. I also had both fuel filters changed (book recommends every 500 hours, how convenient), and it has regained all the lost power.

Thanks again!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

jnjpream is correct, Pull the cover off the battery compartment and the rectangular screen as well. Use the shop vac on both, but ALSO use the vac wand to get to the face of the RADIATOR ITSELF. Alternately, use a high pressure air hose to blow from the opposite side.

When moving on a hill, make gravity your ally, not your opponent. Disengage the MMM, go to the top of the hill, engage the MMM and mow only when traveling downhill. It can actually take less total time than fighting your way uphill while trying to mow at the same time.

carpenter383 mentioned fuel filter; don't forget, there are two of them, not just one.