Oil & Fuel Newbie - Need info? motor oil

/ Newbie - Need info? motor oil #1  

pac

I have a BX 2200 diesel engine - 2004. Manual says 10W-30 or 40 with CD, CE or CF API. Could not find this API rating at my local farm supply store. All they had was 15W-40 diesel oil. I have owned my tractor since 2004 and have changed the oil regularly; however, I have always used 10W-30 motor oil and never knew to check the API - neighbor recently pointed out the API ratings. Have not had any problems, starts great in Chicago winters, but want to use the correct oil now I know about the CD, CE or CF. Any help greatly appreciated. Closest Kubota dealer 1 hr away. Thanks

/ Newbie - Need info? motor oil #2  
Use a diesel rated oil like Rotella T 15W-40. My tractor starts very well with that oil in it. Even in the cold Michigan winter weather.

/ Newbie - Need info? motor oil #3  
I use Valvoline SynPower 10W-30. It is CF rated and fully synthetic. Just a thought. Buy it at Walmart.

Deano

/ Newbie - Need info? motor oil #4  
I would stick with the 10-30 oil as recomended. I don't know what the difference between oil is, but oil for diesels are somehow different, hence the CF rating. Get a couple of gallons of it when you find some and it will last year at least a couple of years.

/ Newbie - Need info? motor oil #5  
I'm able to find Rotella 10w-30 at an independent auto parts store, but it can be hard to find. It might be easier to pick up some Kubota 10w-30 from a dealer.

Vic

/ Newbie - Need info? motor oil #6  
I run Rotella 5W-40 SYN because of cold weather startup

/ Newbie - Need info? motor oil #7  
I run Rotella 5W-40 SYN because of cold weather startup

I use the Rotella 5W-40 because it is in there all year, so the oil has to work at 100º plus as well as 10º. The scheduled maintenance is oil change every 100 hours for me thats once a year. If I change oil twice a year I would use 15W-40 in summer and 10W-30 in winter.

:)As for API rating the CD and CE ratings are obsolete, Use CF, CF-4, CG-4, CH-4, CI-4, or CI-4+. :eek:Personaly I would not use CJ-4 because the lower amount of additives need for the new EPA required DPF filters in 2008 and newer diesels.

/ Newbie - Need info? motor oil #8  
I use Shell Rotella 10W-30 in my BX1500. So far I have been able to get it at the local Walmart.

/ Newbie - Need info? motor oil
Thank you all for the advice. Found Rotella SAE 30 at NAPA with the CF and CF-2 API rating.

/ Newbie - Need info? motor oil #10  
Thank you all for the advice. Found Rotella SAE 30 at NAPA with the CF and CF-2 API rating.

I'd return it and get a 10w-30 oil. The SAE 30 isn't going to be as good in the engine as the 10w-30 will, not to mention that the SAE 30 doesn't cover a broad ambient air temperature range like the 10w-30 does. In older tractors with different tolerances the SAE 30 would be fine, but not with today's modern engines.

10w-30 can be hard to find in a diesel rated oil, most I ever see is 15w-40 and 5w-40. You want it to be API Classification CI-4 Plus, not CJ-4. CJ-4 doesn't contain the wear additives that the CI did because of the new DPF's on the diesel pickups. Honestly your better off just going down to the Kubota dealership and getting it, there going to have exactly what you need. There's no point in buying a 20k tractor and then skimping on the oil.