Engine hours

/ Engine hours #1  

Brent C.

I own a 2008 GL 3240 HST tractor with intellipanel. I need some help understanding how the engine hours tick by!:confused: Prior to my GL3240 I owned a B2710 and the hours did not seem to roll by as quickly for the same jobs? How can hours be measured? I am not saying they are incorrect but the hours tick by quickly???? I have been a Kubota owner for over 10 years and love the product but my current tractor seems to rack up the hours?

I appreciate your input!

Thanks.

Brent

/ Engine hours #2  
Your new model with the intellipanel has an electric hourmeter that reads one hour for every hour the key is on.Your B2710 had the mechanical hourmeter which records hours operating at PTO rpm-at part throttle the hours rack up slower.Think of it like the odometer in a car.If you run part throttle much,the difference can be quite noticeable.

/ Engine hours #3  
I've often wondered if the Kubota engineers have taken this difference into account when establishing service intervals,like engine oil changes,HST fluid and/or filter changes?

/ Engine hours #4  
I noticed the same thing on my DK40 vs. my neighbor's tc30. I have 71 hrs on my tractor already!.......Not to poke fun number two, but part throttle or not an odometer shows miles! LOL

/ Engine hours #5  
On mine it was the opposite. Seems the hour meter never moved. I had it for 10 years and only racked up 1,500 hours.

Someone once said spending on how high the throttle was decided the hours. I know on mine I usually only ran it on low idle most of the time, but I know I put on many more hours that 1,500...at least by behind felt it did more than 1,500 hrs.

/ Engine hours #6  
Cars should have engine hour meters too. 1000 country miles (say 20 hours) is a heck of a lot easier on a car than 1000 city miles (perhaps 100 hours and 10,000 gear changes). About every 3rd week we do a 300k trip to our shack. From door to door we turn about 6 corners. The car has done about 250,000 country ks and just about runs like new.

/ Engine hours #7  
I wish they all used tach hours. The engines on my plane use tach hours as well as my 1910 and L3400. My 748 just uses real time, but it does not have a tach. My boat also uses real time on the engines and they do have tachs.

The digital hour meters could read (tach hours) if they had a rpm sensor to scale the rate, but I guess that would cost too much.

Any engine with a mechanical tach should have the tach hour feature IMO.

It would be difficult to compensate for this short coming by publishing different intervals because they don't know how the tractor is used. They would assume "worst case" and at rated RPM there is not much difference in the two readings.

/ Engine hours #8  
I work on a city fleet and police vehilces count every idle hours=33 miles. It seems to be a standard that I have seen several different times. Most of the new police cars have hour meters and the Crown Victoria only counts hours when in park or neutral.

I know this has nothing to do with Kubota but I was also concerned on my L3400 hour meter operation. Once it was explained to me how it worked I quit worrying about it.

Brian

/ Engine hours #9  
Does ANYONE have a model breakout for Kubotas on how "hours" are measured?
I know my B7610 does not do real time.

/ Engine hours #10  
As I recall on aircraft the hours on the tach will be equal to real hours at max rated cruise.

I suspect the tractor is similar. The tach hours is probably equal to real time at max RPM or PTO RPM. If you run your engine at half RPM then two real hours would equal one tach hour.

Think of it being proportional to crank revolutions rather than time.