Default Engine hours

I own a 2008 GL 3240 HST tractor with intellipanel. I need some help understanding how the engine hours tick by! Prior to my GL3240 I owned a B2710 and the hours did not seem to roll by as quickly for the same jobs? How can hours be measured? I am not saying they are incorrect but the hours tick by quickly???? I have been a kubota owner for over 10 years and love the product but my current tractor seems to rack up the hours?

I appreciate your input!

Thanks.

Brent

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B3030HSDC

Default Re: Engine hours

Your new model with the intellipanel has an electric hourmeter that reads one hour for every hour the key is on.Your B2710 had the mechanical hourmeter which records hours operating at PTO rpm-at part throttle the hours rack up slower.Think of it like the odometer in a car.If you run part throttle much,the difference can be quite noticeable.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Kubota B3030HSDC

I've often wondered if the kubota engineers have taken this difference into account when establishing service intervals,like engine oil changes,HST fluid and/or filter changes?

Tractor
    Kioti DK40SE

I noticed the same thing on my DK40 vs. my neighbor's tc30. I have 71 hrs on my tractor already!.......Not to poke fun number two, but part throttle or not an odometer shows miles! LOL
    “History fails to record a single precedent in which nations subject to moral decay have not passed into political and economic decline. There has been either a spiritual awakening to overcome the moral lapse, or a progressive deterioration leading to ultimate national disaster.” Douglas MacArthur
    "The obligation of every human being to God, is higher than his duty to country, and not even a majority in society has the legitimate right to interfere with a man's allegiance to him."James Madison

Veteran Member

On mine it was the opposite. Seems the hour meter never moved. I had it for 10 years and only racked up 1,500 hours.

Someone once said spending on how high the throttle was decided the hours. I know on mine I usually only ran it on low idle most of the time, but I know I put on many more hours that 1,500...at least by behind felt it did more than 1,500 hrs.

Tractor
    Kubota B1550HSD

Cars should have engine hour meters too. 1000 country miles (say 20 hours) is a heck of a lot easier on a car than 1000 city miles (perhaps 100 hours and 10,000 gear changes). About every 3rd week we do a 300k trip to our shack. From door to door we turn about 6 corners. The car has done about 250,000 country ks and just about runs like new.

Tractor
    (Kuboto L3400) (Ford 1910 4WD w/FEL) (Deere X748SE) All bought new

I wish they all used tach hours. The engines on my plane use tach hours as well as my 1910 and L3400. My 748 just uses real time, but it does not have a tach. My boat also uses real time on the engines and they do have tachs.

The digital hour meters could read (tach hours) if they had a rpm sensor to scale the rate, but I guess that would cost too much.

Any engine with a mechanical tach should have the tach hour feature IMO.

It would be difficult to compensate for this short coming by publishing different intervals because they don't know how the tractor is used. They would assume "worst case" and at rated RPM there is not much difference in the two readings.
    Kubota L3400-HST, Ford 1910-Gear FEL, John Deere X748SE

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400

I work on a city fleet and police vehilces count every idle hours=33 miles. It seems to be a standard that I have seen several different times. Most of the new police cars have hour meters and the Crown Victoria only counts hours when in park or neutral.

I know this has nothing to do with kubota but I was also concerned on my L3400 hour meter operation. Once it was explained to me how it worked I quit worrying about it.

Brian

Tractor
    Kubota's - B7610, M4700

Does ANYONE have a model breakout for Kubotas on how "hours" are measured?
    I know my B7610 does not do real time.
    My rides - '95 Kubota M4700 w/ PEC, LA1001 FEL :'07 B7610, LA352 FEL, Bush Hog SBX 48 box blade, '09 Woods BH70-X w/ 16" bucket and thumb, 3pt pallet forks, Dale Phillips PHD, Jinma 8" chipper, 2 Piranha's, Winco 12KW PTO generator, Howse plow, 5' KK tiller, 5' Big Bee cutter, with a 2002 7.3L Ford F350 CC DRW 4x4 and '07 18' Hudson HSE Deluxe trailer - 5 Ton to haul it all

Tractor
    (Kuboto L3400) (Ford 1910 4WD w/FEL) (Deere X748SE) All bought new

As I recall on aircraft the hours on the tach will be equal to real hours at max rated cruise.

I suspect the tractor is similar. The tach hours is probably equal to real time at max RPM or PTO RPM. If you run your engine at half RPM then two real hours would equal one tach hour.

Think of it being proportional to crank revolutions rather than time.
    Kubota L3400-HST, Ford 1910-Gear FEL, John Deere X748SE