Why no Fuel/Water separator on a BX?

/ Why no Fuel/Water separator on a BX? #1  

JD F350

Just curious as to why the BX's don't have them or Kubota feels they are not needed. Has anyone ever added a aftermarket one? I don't recall any other diesel that was designed without one. :confused:

/ Why no Fuel/Water separator on a BX? #2  
Im not at all familair with the BX - but I find it very odd that they dont have any sort of separator.... I am assuming you do have a fuel filter, maybe that has a reservior to hold water??

Could they have a low spot in the tank for water to collect instead?

Brian

/ Why no Fuel/Water separator on a BX? #3  
Just curious as to why the BX's don't have them or Kubota feels they are not needed. Has anyone ever added a aftermarket one? I don't recall any other diesel that was designed without one. :confused:
My BX23 has 2 fuel filters on it.

/ Why no Fuel/Water separator on a BX? #4  
It does have dual inline filters. I know water is an issue for some but on my pickup, a Ford with the Powerstroke, I bet I've never gotten more than 3 ounces of water total out in 14 years and 175,000 miles.
Maybe I've just been lucky.

/ Why no Fuel/Water separator on a BX?
Thanks for the replys guys, I also have a Powerstroke that has a separator and even remember years ago an early 80's VW rabbit with a diesel had a water drain. That was what wondering about the tractor.

/ Why no Fuel/Water separator on a BX? #6  
Good question! I assumed there nothing more fancy then that on the BX's since the motor is small. But I do know there are 2 fuel filters. There is one underneath the chassis and its metal type and the other is plastic up near engine just before fuel enters the injectors. Since the 2 fuel filters look different and looks strategically placed, I assumed they both filters stuff differently. It appears that most of the BX's are like that.

I assume the plastic filter is for waxing issue when its really cold with untreated fuel, but the metal filter I am not too sure what it really does as far as what it really filters. maybe someone here might know ? Who has the WSM that might have the answer in it ?

/ Why no Fuel/Water separator on a BX? #7  
I just got out my WSM just to make sure I had the right answer. The metal type you are referring to is actually the fuel pump. Just behind the fuel pump is a plastic fuel filter.

/ Why no Fuel/Water separator on a BX? #8  
Good question! I assumed there nothing more fancy then that on the BX's since the motor is small. But I do know there are 2 fuel filters. There is one underneath the chassis and its metal type and the other is plastic up near engine just before fuel enters the injectors. Since the 2 fuel filters look different and looks strategically placed, I assumed they both filters stuff differently. It appears that most of the BX's are like that.

I assume the plastic filter is for waxing issue when its really cold with untreated fuel, but the metal filter I am not too sure what it really does as far as what it really filters. maybe someone here might know ? Who has the WSM that might have the answer in it ?
Both filters are plastic and are alike.

/ Why no Fuel/Water separator on a BX? #9  
On my BX23, there are two fuel filters. One is behind the fuel pump and the other is in front of it. The fuel pump looks a lot like the filters, but is metal. All three are under the floorboard of the tractor.

/ Why no Fuel/Water separator on a BX? #10  
Yup just alike, which brings up a question in my mind, why two of the same?

If they were different, such as the second one being finer I'd understand perfectly. I don't see much point in two in series doing the same exact filtering...??

On my truck I added a filter under the truck before the fuel pump. It is not as good as the OEM filter but it catches the big crud and any water before it gets to the expensive filter. It also has a clear housing so I can see when crud gets in it, the OEM is metal enclosed. The cartridge in the added one is under $5 while the OEM one is $20+. Now that to me makes sense, two of the same inline doesn't, but maybe thats just me....