ZD31 or F3080/F3680?

/ ZD31 or F3080/F3680? #1  

Luckyme1

Tractor
Kubota ZD331 & Kubota GR2110
I recently traded in my ZD28-72" for a ZD31-72". I assumed the new ZD31 would be an upgrade, but I may have made a mistake based on my application.

I use the mower for personal use, cutting 5 acres. The terrain has some slopes, and a few tight spots surrounding our pond. The ZD28 did OK with this, but I have found the ZD31 to be problematic, and not easy to get out of a tight spot. Traction is a concern on most slopes, more so than with the ZD28. I have found I need to use a push mower or weed trimmer more now, and I'm not happy about that. The ZD31 is great for level cutting, but I think I may have made a mistake in my application.

Would I be better served with the F3080 or F3680? We have loved the Zero Turn units, but the 4 WD would be a great plus. I don't see to many of the F series out there, so I wonder if that would be a good option.

/ ZD31 or F3080/F3680? #2  
I have a 5 acre mobile home park that I mow with a F2880E. It is not the 4wd model. I got in a small ditch one day and thought I was in deep dookie but finally figured out what the other pedal was on the left side. It locked in both tires and came out. I brought it home one day to do hillside and it slipped on one steep part but that was before I figured out what the left foot pedal did. I love being able to look out in front of me and seeing what's being cut on both sides exactly. I also can't run and dribble a ball at the same time so chose steering wheel over pull/push levers of zt. Have never operated a zt so have no input concerning them. For just mowing the F beats anything in my opinion and again I have no experience with a zt. The F will mow 2 feet grass as fast as you can go and endure the bumps of your ground. Some poeple say zt is faster and I'm sure it can be but my F will go as fast as I can endure the bumps so I don't think a zt would be any faster for me with my bumpy land. I know I didn't answer any of your questions but just want you to know there are some F owners out here and we love our machines. I have 6' rear discharge deck which lays cut grass down level across cut instead of rowed up on one side. It does blow grass clipping up around the mower air intake covers and covers the battery with grass clippings.

/ ZD31 or F3080/F3680? #3  
I have not had anyone saying the new Z-s have less traction then the old ones. I would check the air pressure it might be to high. No more then six pounds.

/ ZD31 or F3080/F3680? #4  
Have you thought about SCUT or a CUT with a MMM. It wouldn't be as good as a mower, but it will do other things and with 4 wheel drive won't get stuck as easy. I looked at zero turns before I bought my BX2350 and they talked me out of them. My yard is hilly and some of it is mowed on a side slope.

Price out an F series on line at Kubota, they are very serious money. It seems like they are knocking on the door of 20k. I suspect they are really good machines though.

/ ZD31 or F3080/F3680?
Thanks for some of the input. Sorry, I posted "ZD31", should be "ZD331". I realize you folks knew what I was referring to.

I spoke with my dealer, who is about 100 miles away, and he mentioned the tire pressure. I assumed he had set it at delivery 5 weeks ago, but I will definately check that.

It seems the ZD331 is so heavy and bulky that when you are in a tight spot, and on a slope, it just can't get back out easily. My wife cuts alot, and does not like this, nor do I in comparison to the ZD28 we traded. We previously owned a B series 4WD with mower at a small 11 acre farm we sold, and we used it some for cutting grass, especially along creek beds, but it was not as accomodating as the ZD28. We also has a Scag Sabre Tooth Tiger, 72" with Daihatsu 31 HP, and it was OK as well, but got stuck alot near the creek.

I'm going to look into the F series, mostly for the 4WD aspect, but hope that tire pressure may be the issue. That would be too simple.

/ ZD31 or F3080/F3680?
After some additional research, and comparison of costs associated with trading in my ZD 331 for the F 3680 (Dealer was giving me full price paid for the ZD 331 and a good price on the F 3680, but those units are really expensive), he suggested I look into keeping the ZD 331, which cuts fast and quite well on the 80% of my flat property, and consider a GR 2110 for the tighter and hilly areas, just 20% of property.

He will be delivering the new Gr 2110 tomorrow, so now I will have the best of both worlds, and my wife and I can cut at the same time....kind of like a date. I hope she buys that idea.

/ ZD31 or F3080/F3680?
Took delivery of the GR2110. This unit has filled the bill. Can cut anywhere, and with ease.
Keeping the ZD331.
Dealer is great to work with. Highly recommend Barlow Equipment in Somerset, KY!