Ratchet Rake - ever seen/used one?

/ Ratchet Rake - ever seen/used one? #111  
I hope to do the same, except I have a suction cup mount from my race car for the camcorder. I haven't tried to play in soaked/wet soil/mud... but in normal conditions, I have no problem with it in dirt, in vegetation.

Regarding backdragging, please explain to me where I'm missing this boat.... I am using the rake's shorter teeth that point down, so the front bucket angle is level, or maybe tipped forward slightly (creating the 'down' teeth tips to be angled towards the back of the tractor to dig in). I have had GREAT luck doing this, once I rip some of this up, and get to the soil under the surface, I may increase the angle a small bit. I'm not having any issues feeling like I am pushing the tractor too far, and I am more careful than most from those I have seen. Definitely no pucker factor or 'bracing yourself' feel... just lower bucket, pick front tires up maybe 2-3" step on the rear diff lock, and back away I go, digs in, the front lowers, and then I can slowly curl the bucket to ease/level the material that it is dragging.

I am so over-due for some pictures, but I've put over 30 hrs on in less than a couple weeks, and probably 24+ hours alone are ratchet-rake work, ripping out trees, leveling bumps in yard (field), and moving some good size'd rocks (say 2x2x3' or so) that the ratchet rake 'un-earthed' prior to mowing down acres of brush...

/ Ratchet Rake - ever seen/used one?
Regarding backdragging, please explain to me where I'm missing this boat.... I am using the rake's shorter teeth that point down, so the front bucket angle is level, or maybe tipped forward slightly (creating the 'down' teeth tips to be angled towards the back of the tractor to dig in). I have had GREAT luck doing this, once I rip some of this up, and get to the soil under the surface, I may increase the angle a small bit. I'm not having any issues feeling like I am pushing the tractor too far, and I am more careful than most from those I have seen. Definitely no pucker factor or 'bracing yourself' feel... just lower bucket, pick front tires up maybe 2-3" step on the rear diff lock, and back away I go, digs in, the front lowers, and then I can slowly curl the bucket to ease/level the material that it is dragging.

That is all understandable, but if when moving forward your bucket is almost level and it's almost level while back dragging, then when/how are you using the big teeth for anything but mashing into vegetation? If you don't angle the bucket a fair amount you're not getting any use out of them.
j

/ Ratchet Rake - ever seen/used one? #113  
I hope to do the same, except I have a suction cup mount from my race car for the camcorder. I haven't tried to play in soaked/wet soil/mud... but in normal conditions, I have no problem with it in dirt, in vegetation.

I am so over-due for some pictures, but I've put over 30 hrs on in less than a couple weeks, and probably 24+ hours alone are ratchet-rake work, ripping out trees, leveling bumps in yard (field), and moving some good size'd rocks (say 2x2x3' or so) that the ratchet rake 'un-earthed' prior to mowing down acres of brush...

This is what the web site says. Both teeth should be touching the ground.

BACKWARD OPERATION
The bottom surface of the loader bucket should be orientated at a 30 degree to 50 degree angle to the ground which allows both sets of teeth to be utilized simultaneously. The operator incrementally lowers the bucket to achieve the desired amount of penetration

/ Ratchet Rake - ever seen/used one? #114  
First of all, I agree with you, I don't use the big teeth anywhere near as often, in my head I feel they are better utilized with a skidsteer, but I see no reason not to have them on the rake.

I use the big teeth for a couple common things:
1. (as you mentioned) ripping out big vegetation **actually, when removing roots from some larger bushes that had grown over misc parts of our back 3+ acres, I would use the front teeth angled down, inch forward as it dug itself into the ground, then I'd curl the bucket and inch forward more to rip larger root systems out of the ground as well**
2. I have even used them for pulling old wooden fenceposts. We build on 5 acres, that was farmland many moons ago, and the entire front was covered with posts and barbed wire, I can pull up to the posts far enough it starts to get wedged in between the teeth, I curl the bucket to 'set' the post firmly on the rake/bucket, then lift right out.. again these are more rotting/soft wood ones.
3. After back-dragging with the smaller teeth, I may go back over the area with the bucket at an angle to have both teeth engaged, but this is on already broken ground, to help loosen and spread the dirt.

Last edited:
   / Ratchet Rake - ever seen/used one? #115  
J_J - I understand how the site and instructions read, I also have read instructions of products bought at Harbor Freight shaking my head thinking "Something is lost in translation from Chinese to English I guess...." Perhaps in this case "Something is lost in translation from skidsteer to SCUT tractor." Not arguing with the rake's instructions, but I am simply sharing what my 20+ hours have shown as useful with use on top soil, clay, gravel, and other rocks...

It may not be their true instructions, but it seems less risky on the tractor hydraulics, and it obviously is working great for me, so I do not see the need to specifically follow the directions either. Does that make sense?

/ Ratchet Rake - ever seen/used one? #116  
Bassicfun ,

Definitely use it the way it works for you. My reply was about the way you said you were using the rake. I have watched the video many times, and he was ripping out that sod in three passes. My idea of back dragging is that both set of teeth is on the ground, one tooth set have a back angle, and the front set having a forward angle, both working together. I am thinking about ordering the larger model, for my skidsteer and PT. I have a 1000 ft of dirt road that other people use but do no work on it. They will not even come out to say thank you or offer a cold glass of tea. I live at the end of the road, and perhaps they blame me for all the pot holes, etc.

/ Ratchet Rake - ever seen/used one? #117  
J_J - Definitely think it would work great as intended, and on a skid-steer, I guess I have found this works, and I don't *worry* about the hydraulics in this mode, As I'm sure others will laugh.. but I do hope to have this purchase be a 10-15 year use or longer.. It will do a ton of work in the next 2-3 years getting the landscaping and yard done, after that.. it will likely be relagated to 95% mowing & snow removal... Long live the 'bota.

/ Ratchet Rake - ever seen/used one?
JJ if you're considering this for a skid steer I don't think I'd hesitate for a second. The dynamics of a skid steer vs. my L3400 are quite different and if I had a skid steer to use it would be a different ball game.

Another tid bit I can add is that at first I was very skeptical of the whole strap it in place set up. But I can say that it does indeed stay put and after last nights storm and some VERY early morning road repairs I was very glad I could drop the rake in literally about 30 secs. A 30' section of the lower driveway was basically gone this morning and I needed the FEL more than the rake. But it was nice to be able to switch back and forth so easily. Gee, if they could only make 3pt attachments this easy :)

JJ I'm also in a similar boat. Our "driveway" is 2,200' long, up a hill and it needs constant attention. We sold a small parcel of land to a young couple that are building this summer. I'm really looking forward to some driveway assistance and hope they pitch in.

/ Ratchet Rake - ever seen/used one? #119  
Ii can see useful apps., but I would break that in a day. If I was using it for the lawn, there wouldn't be much lawn left. Everything I do with the tractor needs to be cleaned up by hand afterwards. I like a $15 steel spring rake to rake leaves. It works and I get a work out.

/ Ratchet Rake - ever seen/used one? #120  
Ii can see useful apps., but I would break that in a day. If I was using it for the lawn, there wouldn't be much lawn left. Everything I do with the tractor needs to be cleaned up by hand afterwards. I like a $15 steel spring rake to rake leaves. It works and I get a work out.

You may break the straps in a day by improper use but you won't break the rake itself, the metal is too thick. By the way, the rachet rake isn't used to rake leaves.