Mowing Mowing differences between a BX2360 and B2320

/ Mowing differences between a BX2360 and B2320 #1  

TigerfaninAR

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B2320 FEL, MMM
Finally went and sat on a few tractors and at first thought a BX would fit my needs and I'm sure it would, and still may, but really liked the 2320 as well. I do have a few areas that the ground clearance will be suspect and initially will need more of a tractor. However in the long run I still need a good mower. I like a nice yard, not a golf course, but I do take pride in a good lawn. Any difference in quality of cut between the two. I like the 2320 because it's still fairly light, almost as light as the JD 2305.

/ Mowing differences between a BX2360 and B2320 #2  
Hmm, well I'm still on the fence about mowing with my B2620. Of course I have loaded R-4's, and that does make some difference. Kubotas tend to cut the turf on the outside of the turns with the front tires though because of their steering geometry. JD front tires lean towards the inside of the turn and minimize that effect while Kubota front tires stay pretty much straight up, and down. I think the steering is set up very similar between the BX, and the B's, and the turning radius is about the same so I doubt there is really a lot of difference that way. The new B mower decks are set up very much like the BX ones too so the cut should be similar. Try some tight turns on your dealer's turf, and see what you think. I have lots of obstacles to mow around so it is a bit of an issue with me.

/ Mowing differences between a BX2360 and B2320 #3  
I had a BX for 4+ years and now a B2620. The BX will do whatever a B will do but may take a very little bit longer. If clearance is an issue clearly the B is better. Outside that the BX is nicer to mow around stuff with and is nimbler. The B has other advantages but it sounds like for your needs they may be redundant.

/ Mowing differences between a BX2360 and B2320
Still in the air a little. It will be for a place where we will building. I love to landscape, make beds etc., that's the reason the BX appealed to me. I think the initial work though a B would be required and I could make my landscaping so the B fits. Thinking correct on that?

/ Mowing differences between a BX2360 and B2320 #5  
I don't think a B is "required" for your use. As long as you keep the MMM off when using the FEL and ground-breaking/finishing 3pt implements, I am sure you'll be fine. I think once fine grade, you'll be wishing you hade the BX for the longer duration of mowing for "X" years over the few weeks/months of restoration work.

Dig up my past posts and more recent past posts. I just ditched my B7510 (basically the B you are looking at) because it would cut circles where ever I turned. The new BX2660 is absolutely niigh and day fantastic. I just mowed again tonight and am amazed.

The outboard front tire on a B when turning do lean out at the top so that the bottom outer edge cut sod. I have many circles to prove it. I have had genuine turf tires and bar turfs (not R4's) with real rounded edges to help minimize damage, but they didn't help. I think the BX is much better balanced and has more weight on the rear of the tractor (axle) where as the B has a fair more bit of weight up front with the FEL subframe alone. My nes BX2660 will turn circles so tight without even hinting at cutting the sod. I only wished I had bout the BX seven years ago when I originally looked, but I though bigger was better.

The new B's have a suspended deck, which is just like the BX. I had a ground contact type on my B, and that is another reason I traded it off. I got pie plates and an uneven cut. Had I really studied the new B2320, I may have had a harder time deciding to pull the trigger on the BX2660 just because I'd have tried to convince myself I needed the B2320 and that it would be better than my current (then) B7510. After mowing with the new BX2660, there is no way I could convince myself now I could get the same results with a B2320 or B2620. The BX is absolutely fantastic. AND, you'll see you barely give up much loader capacity with a BX, unless you are looking at a large B, and for me, mowing is 85% of my use. Good Luck!

/ Mowing differences between a BX2360 and B2320 #6  
It's good to hear that the BX2660 doesn't cut the turf as much as your B did. The new B2620 that I have does cut circles with the front tires (mine are R-4's) quite easily, even in 2 wd, and it's one of the reasons I decided not to buy a mmm for it. I have a garden tractor that I mow with now, but might replace that (10 years old now) with a BX, or something else.

/ Mowing differences between a BX2360 and B2320 #7  
I had a BX for 4+ years and now a B2620. The BX will do whatever a B will do but may take a very little bit longer. If clearance is an issue clearly the B is better. Outside that the BX is nicer to mow around stuff with and is nimbler. The B has other advantages but it sounds like for your needs they may be redundant.
I have a B, BX and F now. Botabill says almost all of it. I've had a BX2200, BX1500 and now BX2350 for mowing and a B7800, L3240 and now B3200 for mostly FEL work but BX's will do the work but a bit slower. Ground clearance problems require a B if it's a big issue.

/ Mowing differences between a BX2360 and B2320
I don't think a B is "required" for your use. As long as you keep the MMM off when using the FEL and ground-breaking/finishing 3pt implements, I am sure you'll be fine. I think once fine grade, you'll be wishing you hade the BX for the longer duration of mowing for "X" years over the few weeks/months of restoration work.

Dig up my past posts and more recent past posts. I just ditched my B7510 (basically the B you are looking at) because it would cut circles where ever I turned. The new BX2660 is absolutely niigh and day fantastic. I just mowed again tonight and am amazed.

The outboard front tire on a B when turning do lean out at the top so that the bottom outer edge cut sod. I have many circles to prove it. I have had genuine turf tires and bar turfs (not R4's) with real rounded edges to help minimize damage, but they didn't help. I think the BX is much better balanced and has more weight on the rear of the tractor (axle) where as the B has a fair more bit of weight up front with the FEL subframe alone. My nes BX2660 will turn circles so tight without even hinting at cutting the sod. I only wished I had bout the BX seven years ago when I originally looked, but I though bigger was better.

The new B's have a suspended deck, which is just like the BX. I had a ground contact type on my B, and that is another reason I traded it off. I got pie plates and an uneven cut. Had I really studied the new B2320, I may have had a harder time deciding to pull the trigger on the BX2660 just because I'd have tried to convince myself I needed the B2320 and that it would be better than my current (then) B7510. After mowing with the new BX2660, there is no way I could convince myself now I could get the same results with a B2320 or B2620. The BX is absolutely fantastic. AND, you'll see you barely give up much loader capacity with a BX, unless you are looking at a large B, and for me, mowing is 85% of my use. Good Luck!

Great info, thanks. Just when you think you have it figured out...:(

Do you have turfs on your new BX? With some loader work and box blade work initially would you recommend R4s and then maybe buy some turfs for later? Mainly leveling some small spots, nothing too big. Also will want a small garden and don't know how turfs will work there as well. FWIW--7 acres, 4-5 of which will be mowed.

/ Mowing differences between a BX2360 and B2320 #9  
I have a BX with turfs, they will work much better than you think, as long as its not wet and muddy. Another option is to buy both sets, the second set is maybe aorund $350. I'd start with turfs and see how you do.

/ Mowing differences between a BX2360 and B2320 #10  
Great info, thanks. Just when you think you have it figured out...:(

Do you have turfs on your new BX? With some loader work and box blade work initially would you recommend R4s and then maybe buy some turfs for later? Mainly leveling some small spots, nothing too big. Also will want a small garden and don't know how turfs will work there as well. FWIW--7 acres, 4-5 of which will be mowed.

I agree with Dodge above. I have turfs and I think the weight distribution of the BX is better so I find the turfs perform alot better on the BX than the turfs on my B's. I have considered buying the R4's myself, but in the end, they'll only look cool on the BX, and probably collect dust in the corner. I, too, share your use... mainly mowing. I'd consider the turfs as my first choice. If they aren't what you think, buy the R4's for $350 rim and tire set and sell the turfs. I see many more R4 owners looking for turfs than the other way around, so you'd probably sell them for minimal loss in a second.