Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Splitting a tractor

with a floor jack, 2 stands, metric socket set (12,17,19,26mm) and a screw driver, i split the tractor at the transmission shroud instead of the clutch housing.

the threads on the transmission shaft had been stripped by the propellor shaft coupling. by the looks of the rust, the shear bolt (or pin spring in the parts book) had sheared off the coupling a long time ago. the damage was recent (shiny metal) and stripped threads matches up with what likely caused it - engaging PTO at potentially low RPMs.

after splitting the tractor, i slid the propellor shaft out and mounted it back onto the transmission shaft. turning by hand, i was able to make the coupling slip. afterwards i engaged the PTO gear and turned the transmission shaft by hand. the PTO output turned without a problem. when i had the squeal the PTO did nothing. so odds are, i found the issue.

rather than dig further, i'll replace the shear bolt, reassemble, replace the oil and see how she goes.

aside, splitting the tractor at the transmission was fairly simple (just dont forget the mud guards ), with the only caveat being the foot pedal rod into the HST. getting the cotter pin out/back in will take some patience. all else is a no-brainer.

cheers
    f

Tractor
    Kubota, B7100HST-D

Thanks for the detailed update. Good luck with the repair.
    Steve

The best things in life are not things.

Tractor
    DK35 H

Quote Originally Posted by futch View Post
    ...and stripped threads matches up with what likely caused it - engaging PTO at potentially low RPMs.
    wait. what?

I'm a little new to tractors and PTO, but I thought low RPM engagement was the name of the game?
    - Max

1 Machine 2 shades of Orange.

well i'm back in business. replaced the shear bolt and she's running...smoother too on the new lube.

Quote Originally Posted by zukota View Post
    wait. what?

I'm a little new to tractors and PTO, but I thought low RPM engagement was the name of the game?
    i'm no expert either but in my experience, engaging PTO at low RPMs may not have enough power to overcome the attachments startup torque. engine could stall at the very least.

Tractor
    DK35 H

Quote Originally Posted by futch View Post
    well i'm back in business. replaced the shear bolt and she's running...smoother too on the new lube.

i'm no expert either but in my experience, engaging PTO at low RPMs may not have enough power to overcome the attachments startup torque. engine could stall at the very least.
    Sorry for not letting this go, maybe the mods can split this and move it into the owing / operating forum?

Anyway. It sounds to me like it would be the exact opposite. A low RPM PTO engagement (minimum tractor torque) and a large or bound implement should result in a stalled tractor, as you suggested. But a high RPM PTO (maximum tractor torque) engagement with a large or bound implement would result in a failure at the weakest link - in this case the shaft spline?
    - Max

1 Machine 2 shades of Orange.

Tractor
    kubota

my kubota B7100 makes a grinding noise when you let out the cluch and wont move forward or back. Could the cluch be bad ?

Tractor
    01 Kubota B21TLB, 2010 Ferris 52" ZTR, Cub Cadet 1811, Gravely Super8

Quote Originally Posted by rnauta View Post
    my kubota B7100 makes a grinding noise when you let out the cluch and wont move forward or back. Could the cluch be bad ?
    You have a gear failure in the gearbox, not a clutch problem if it does not move F or R in any gear.
    Kubota B21TLB, Ferris IS2000, Cub Cadet 1811

Tractor
    01 Kubota B21TLB, 2010 Ferris 52" ZTR, Cub Cadet 1811, Gravely Super8

You have a gear failure in the gearbox, not a clutch problem if it does not move F or R in any gear.
    Kubota B21TLB, Ferris IS2000, Cub Cadet 1811

Tractor
    b7100

my clutch does not release. it sounds like I have to split the tractor. I replaced the clutch about 2 years ago but I found the clutch hard to set up. this time I want to do it right. what should a person replace when I get in there? any advise is appreciated

Tractor
    JD 4255/Kubota M7040 HDC

Clutch hub could have stripped out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast