ZD331 Axle Not Square With Frame

/ ZD331 Axle Not Square With Frame #1  

psdx

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B3030
The ZD331 has stops welded onto the frame on both sides - looks like they're meant to keep the axle tube from getting sprung backwards. The left side of the axle on mine starting banging against the stop at 60 hours. The solution was to tighten the bolt on the pivot pin - not sure how it would have loosened with a clip holding it stationary. After the tightening, the left side gap (between the axle tube and the stop) is about 1/8 inch, while the same gap on the right side is about 3/8 inch. Clearly the axle tube is not square with the frame. The service writer and I went into the shop to look at a brand new ZD331 that was just being set up for a customer. The clearances between the stops and the axle were exactly like mine. From this I assume mine is not damaged in any way, but I am wondering if others with ZD331's have a similar disparity between the right/left axle clearances. I am also interested to know if anyone can offer a suggestion on why Kubota would "design" it this way. BTW - if this is the wrong forum to ask this question - please let me know. Thanks.

/ ZD331 Axle Not Square With Frame #2  
Very interesting. I am really wanting a ZD326 and have wondered about the pivot strength but I figured that they had this covered. There is a farmer up the road that has a guy on a 331 running pretty much constantly Monday through Friday all summer with no problems. If I get a chanced I will have to ask about this issue.

/ ZD331 Axle Not Square With Frame
A year ago (60 hours), the dealer tightened the kingpin enough to put the key in the next slot. Now (a year later at 120 hours), the axle is banging against the frame again. I grease the machine often... I did what the dealer did and the wobble is gone. It's strange to me that the new machine I saw being un-crated was the same as mine - axle closer on one side than the other, and it's strange that this bushing is apparently wearing fairly fast. If this was used commercially, the kingpin adjustment would need to be done every other week, and by now the bushing would likely be worn out completely.

This is inconsistent with my expectation of a machine priced at the high end of what's out there. Does anyone else with a ZD mower have a similar experience? Or someone else with a mower with an articulating axle that has similar wear?

/ ZD331 Axle Not Square With Frame #4  
I guess I'm going to have to go look at some of those we have out. Never had a problem here.

/ ZD331 Axle Not Square With Frame #5  
I have a ZD323 and mine rubs the body panel but not the frame yet (40 hours). It is much closer on the left than the right side.

-Rob