Left Side Step

/ Left Side Step #1  

jedens

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota 4610
Has anyone ever put a left side step on an L series Kubota? I've got a new L4610 and it sure would be nice to have a left side step. Do they sell one?

/ Left Side Step #2  
Do you mean on the right side as you're sitting on the tractor? I haven't seen one and I think the reason they don't put one there is most of the controls are on that side for hst pedal, hydraulics, FEL, pto, 3pt and they figure you might bump them getting on the right side. I'm just guessing.
18-64320-TractorsigK.JPG

/ Left Side Step #3  
<font color=blue>...I think the reason they don't put one there is most of the controls are on that side for hst pedal...</font color=blue>

And if you step on the HST pedal while the tractor is running, in gear and with the parking break engaged, the tractor will still jump. If you are running a piece of stationary equipment (like a chipper or PHD) at PTO speed, it can jump real far. [shock] I'm working on breaking this habit./w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

-david

/ Left Side Step
Hi Grant,
Yes, I do mean the right side as you sit on it. When I was little and trying to learn my rights and lefts my dad told me I could always put sand in my right pocket so I would know which one it was. Maybe I need some sand.
I bet you are correct about the issue of controls, but I thought I looked at a John Deere 4710 that had steps on both sides.
Anyway I have found myself mounting the tractor from the right side, just taking a big first step. Next time I'll notice how close I am to the controls.
Joe

/ Left Side Step
David,
Sounds like I'm not the only one that does this. So far I've not contacted any controls (I've only had my tractor a few days), but sounds like I better break the habit before it gets started. Thanks for the warnings.
Joe

/ Left Side Step #6  
I used to climb aboard Clementine from either side...till the day I stepped on the HST pedal and the tractor lurched forward! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif Now it's always done from the left.

Pete

/ Left Side Step #7  
You're welcome. These toys are a heck of a lot of fun, but the more I read and pay attention, the more I realize how many ways there are to hurt yourself and ruin an otherwise great day.

And I can't begin to thank all the contributors on this site for contributing safety information.

-david

/ Left Side Step #8  
Pete,
For some reason I got in the habit of never getting off the tractor with it in gear, at least that's my intention. I have left it in neutral with the brake off on level ground when hooking up an attachment but I'm probably pushing my luck there. I also found that having something like a chain or hammer riding at my feet often finds a way of getting under the hst pedal and making it so I can't stop without pushing in the clutch. Talk about disconcerting!
18-64320-TractorsigK.JPG

/ Left Side Step #9  
Listen to Boondox he knows what he is talking about.

I have done exactly the same thing. It only takes once! Now I make sure that I get on from the correct side.

/ Left Side Step #10  
Pete,
You are obviously not a horse person. They can get quite ornery if you don't mount from the left. ;-)

Mike