socket size for Cat. I lower link pin. 7/8 inch diameter

/ socket size for Cat. I lower link pin. 7/8 inch diameter #1  

splotkin

Tractor
Kubota BX1850
I just got a CountyLine 5 ft rear blade from tractor supply for my BX1850. It is the same as King Kutter. It took a while to decide between the five and six foot blade. After reading the pros and cons about the different sizes on this forum, I finally went with the 5 footer as I am using it to move some gravel and re-grade the driveway which has a lot of clay in it. I was afraid the 6 footer would bog down.

I knew that I would need to reverse the lower link pins. I have sockets up to 1 1/4" half inch drive and figured all was set.

Well guess what? I should have checked before I left the store, which is a good 30+ minutes away. By the time I unloaded the blade from the trailer, cranked up the air compressor and got out the air wrench the store had closed. The socket I needed was larger than 1 1/4" in size.

I looked all over this site and others to find the size of the wrench to fit the nut. I found that the lower pin on a cat. 1 is 7/8 inch diameter, 2-1/2 inch usable length, 6-7/16 inch overall length, 7/8 inch NF thread diameter with fixed shoulder. OK, but what is the wrench or socket size?

I know that my 1 1/4" socket is slightly too small. I will hit sears in the AM but I need to know the exact size. Is it metric? I hope some-one out there knows. My best guess is 1 3/8" but want to confirm it.

Thanks,
-Scott

Last edited:
   / socket size for Cat. I lower link pin. 7/8 inch diameter #2  
You could measure it.

/ socket size for Cat. I lower link pin. 7/8 inch diameter #3  
you actually should

/ socket size for Cat. I lower link pin. 7/8 inch diameter #4  
I can't remember the size. But, I do remember it wasn't what expected to be.
Sears may not have sockets or box wrenches big enough. Last time I went there for big sizes I left empty handed. 1-1/4" was the largest I could find. They probally will have 3/4" drive????
Just trying to save you a trip.

/ socket size for Cat. I lower link pin. 7/8 inch diameter
Thanks RickB.
I did measure the nut and it is very hard to distinguish between 1 5/16th and 1 3/8th. My guess is it is what you listed. When I put on the 1 1/4 socket it was so, so close to fitting.

Thanks,
-Scott

/ socket size for Cat. I lower link pin. 7/8 inch diameter #7  
Thanks RickB.
I did measure the nut and it is very hard to distinguish between 1 5/16th and 1 3/8th. My guess is it is what you listed. When I put on the 1 1/4 socket it was so, so close to fitting.

Thanks,
-Scott
May be metric...

/ socket size for Cat. I lower link pin. 7/8 inch diameter #8  
why not just get an adjustable at sears? a 15" cost 42 bucks or so and opens 1 1/2". a local aubuchon should have a generic for less (39.00). a home depot should probably beat either of them. or you could visit job lot and get a throw away model for cheap.

on the other hand, a pipe wrench would work, it's not like you're going to be putting these on and taking them off regularly, so why not?

/ socket size for Cat. I lower link pin. 7/8 inch diameter
I measured the nut and headed out to sears. They had a 1 5/16 inch open wrench. It is a bit sloppy but did the trick. The problem was the nut and lock washer were so tight I was afraid I would break my 1 1/2" adjustable wrench. The new 1 5/16th with a 3 foot cheater bar finally did the job. I am still not sure of the size. I put my calipers on it and it was 1.31 inches or 33.3 mm. which is a little less than 1 5/16ths. At least it is done. Now, if the rain would only stop!!!

Thanks,
-Scott